18 December 2008

Friday Wrap-Up

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Anyone for an update on the Band concert? This story just keeps getting better ...

I was feeling a bit like one of those parents by the following morning so sent the band director this email:

Let me start this by saying that, for the last month, with very few exceptions, I have heard NOTHING from anyone at the middle school that is even remotely positive regarding Cam. As I said in my last email, I realize that everyone is at their wits end - the staff, the administration, me and Cam. My previous email could have been a bit more objective, and less emotional.

I do understand your concerns. Having been a band geek for most of my school years I know the importance and impact of what you are dealing with. My issues are not with your need to have Cam be compliant - that I understand - my issues are with notice - just 48 hours before a performance - that disruptions and behaviors escalated to a point where you had serious concerns about Cam's participation in said performance AND that additional work was assigned (as punishment) without me being notified. Had I known a letter of apology was due Tuesday morning, it would have been written Monday night. I cannot support decisions/punishments that you make if I am not aware of them.

As I am certain you understand, when I discussed your requirements for Cam's participation in the performance with him, I got less than a receptive response. Having me supervise him during the time he will be back stage in the warm up room and requiring that he either sit with me separately from the band, or that I sit with the band, in his world is no less embarrassing and humiliating than me requiring him to go to school wearing a pink taffeta dress and a tiara. As such, Cam is refusing to participate in the performance if doing so humiliates him in front of his peers (which your solution - in his eyes - does).

I suggested to Cam that he speak with you today regarding his behavior and these performance requirements. I explained the seriousness of his behavior/actions and their impact on the group and why that concerns you. I don't know if he will choose to take my advise or not - I hope he does.

I received a very nice email in response:

Thank you for your email. I agree with everything that you have said in it. I have known Cam for three years now, and see that you are struggling with this whole situation as I am too. I don't have an answer for tomorrow night. I am concerned about keeping the kids focused back stage when I am on stage with another group. This situation, even though there will be a teacher back stage, can only lend itself to mischief and silly stuff. I don't want the kids to be off track, I just want them to be focused so that they can do the job on stage that I know they are capable of. I will wait and see if Cam will talk to me. I don't have a problem with him sitting with the band without you, if he agrees to behave properly and not distract from what is going on on stage or otherwise. Cam needs to understand the seriousness of this event, and the serious angle that the entire band has to have towards their performance. It will be an exceptional concert, and Cam has contributed to that musicality. I will discuss this situation with him and see what he decides. I will get back to you hopefully afterschool if not later tonight when I finally land at home.


All is well, right? Well, until there was a bit of a testosterone, alpha male, pissing and pushing contest after school on Wednesday. Cam and his cohort earned themselves a day of in-school suspension Thursday (have I mentioned lately how much I hate zero tolerance?) and with that comes ... are you ready? The inability to participate in any school sanctioned event for the day of the suspension (including the band concert). Band concert behavior concerns resolved!

Cam has also earned himself three days of grounding to serve at home - restricted to his room, no phone, no computer - and since there is a snow day today, it's three FULL days. Oops!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

My employer puts out a holiday newsletter every year which includes an 8-1/2" x 11" booklet with all of the "administrative" employees' photos (we have many branches throughout the U.S. and Canada). I was excited! This would be my first appearance in the infamous famous holiday photo brochure (I started this job in January of 2008).

I went to the accounting section with great anticipation. One, two, three, four branch accountants ... where am I? Did I wind up on the next page? Nope! Is this an omen? The pink slip will show up next? Nah ... but the person responsible for putting together the brochure sure felt bad. Hey, at least I wasn't like the guy in our Southern California branch who has been in the last five issues, but for some reason was pulled out of this one even though he still works for us!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Speaking of strange work occurrences, the same person who puts together the holiday brochure also puts together a monthly company-wide newsletter. Each of the locations submit little tidbits of information - most of them personal celebrations - new babies, marriages, kids making the honor role - that kind of stuff.

*SIDE NOTE* The company I work for is a relatively large, family owned business that still does things like a small company even though they employ over 3000 people.

I guess shouldn't have been surprised to see this exciting news from our Missouri branch. That's right! The 13 year old son of one of the employees got his "First kill" (yes, those were the EXACT words used in the article).

If I ever mention heading to Missouri for a business trip in the fall, please remind me to take my blaze orange vest along, would you?





~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~




16 comments:

we're doomed said...

The young deer hunter has bagged a deer with a nice rack. I love deer sausage. I think orange will clash with your lipstick.

Anonymous said...

That sucks so bad about Cam. I was hoping you'd say he played beautifully in the concert and it wasn't an issue thus proving the whole school wrong. :(

Poor kid. I wouldn't want to relive those years for anything.

Unknown said...

Oh Cam. I swear he sounds like my youngest son. Couldn't sit still or focus on any one thing for long and was always doing something. I bet he is still a sweetheart though, right?

Our company newsletter always has those pictures of someone's "kill", but they call it "bagged" or something like that.

g-man said...

I bet that first kill is going on their christmas cards!

Bummer for Cam.

Biscuit said...

Well, I don't have to say it. You know my heart goes out to you. I don't like having been placed in the position of being one of *those* parents either. Your email was wonderful. My husband sent a similar one last night regarding the fact that no one is even noticing when my son is off track, staring into space, not doing what he is supposed to be doing. How can you ignore a child with an IEP?

It's been a rough year, hasn't it? {{{you}}}

snugs said...

It's kind of like he got double punished at school and at home. 3 full days in his room with no outside contact or communication, I predict he will be bouncing off the walls come Monday so I sure hope school is out for the holidays.

Anonymous said...

It must be in the air. My step sons are becoming rebellious as of late. As opposed to your methods of punishment...I usually use the more direct approach as my dad did with me.

First, I tell them that nobody wins a fight. Then I tell them that I am prepared to lose. Then I ask them if they are such hot shots and feel that physical violence is the only way, that I will take them on.

All three back down in a heart beat. I explain to them that if they want to risk getting into a fight, then they better understand that one day they are gonna get the shit kicked out of them...

Now they have something new to think about for the holidays.

Good post.....

Another Suburban Mom said...

I send you ((((hugs)))) and a LARGE bottle of vodka and some orange juice!

Knight said...

Oh man. He is only starting the teen years. Good luck to you Dana. Good luck to you.

Anonymous said...

You handled it quite well. Good luck. And keep your chin up.

Brian Gardes said...

Can I say that I am not surprised about Cam? Not Cam in particular, but the fact that there was so much tension and stress involved in his life all focused around school, it is normal that a kid will do something dumb. I see it time after time. It has nothing to do with whether or not the kid is good, but the fact that he has reached his limit. Kind of like a juggler, there are just so many balls he could keep in the air.

As for your photo, I think there are a few pics from your blog you could include in the next company-wide newsletter!

boo said...

Ahhh, poor Cam. I feel for you honey, it's hard when they get labeled troublesome and then you have to fight tooth and nail to overcome not only their setbacks but the attitudes of those supposed to be helping him. *hugs*

buffalodick said...

This is a script worthy of the "Twilight Zone"! I hope things smooth out at work and school for all concerned!

Jeff B said...

That picture would have gone over like a fart in church in any mainstream corporation.

Vixen said...

*hugs*

I'm taken aback by the lack of your pic being included! And then that they felt that pic should be included. Um...okay........

Anonymous said...

well dang that sucks about cam.

The deer pic is cool though!