03 December 2008

A Blogger Fairy Tale

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Once upon a time there was a young (at heart) woman named Red Writing Hood. Now Red had quite a bit of life experience, some good, some not so good, some downright icky! As she ventured on her way to her Grandmother’s house, she did so with a heavy heart, a feeling of isolation and extremely low self-esteem. But she was excited too! She had recently found a new path to her Grandmother’s house and a new basket to carry her goodies in.

As she was traveling down the newly found path, she ran into Mr. Sheep. She showed Mr. Sheep her new project, a blog (neatly bundled in her basket). Mr. Sheep was attentive and appreciative of her blog, as well as her HNT photos and he told her so. This made Red very happy. She needed to know that Mr. Sheep liked her, not just for her brain, but for her physical beauty too!

Red and Mr. Sheep ventured off the beaten path and had some interesting conversations. It seemed Mr. Sheep was interested in seeing private pictures of Red’s more creative side, and he had some special requests. Red thought she and Mr. Sheep had developed a trusting friendship on their discovery walks, and agreed to show Mr. Sheep a little bit more than she had previously shown anyone else. She provided Mr. Sheep with his requests only after he gave his word that he would share them with no one. Red was quite appreciative of the attention from Mr. Sheep and wanted to please him. Mr. Sheep let her know that he was very pleased.

Although Red traveled the path quite frequently on her way to Grandmother’s house, it was a long time before she saw Mr. Sheep again for any length of time. There were glimpses here and there, but nothing substantial since she had satisfied his special requests. When Mr. Sheep stopped her a few weeks later, he was quite angry. He found out that, not only was he the subject in one of Red’s blog posts, but what Red said wasn’t, in his opinion, very nice. Although Mr. Sheep had given Red permission to include his words in her blog, without concern, he had now changed his mind.

Mr. Sheep began to change right before Red’s eyes. She could see that what was once fluffy soft wool was turning into coarse, brown hair. What was once a gentle “Baahhhh” was now a gnarly “GRRRRR.” And what was once a safe place to venture off the beaten path was now a scary, dark stand of decaying, lifeless trees. Mr. Sheep had turned into a big, bad wolf and was trying to lure Red into the darkness!

Red tried ignoring the big, bad wolf when she was on her way to Grandmother’s, but no matter how hard she tried, he would follow her on the path, nipping at her heels. She knew that she had upset him, and even made a retraction in her blog, but the big, bad wolf claimed that wasn’t enough. Not only was he going to continue nipping at her heels, he was going to publish a new blog to show the world what a bad, bad woman Red really was. He was going to strip away her Writing Hood and share those pictures he had asked for, and that Red had provided. Not only would he publish them, but he was going to share them with Red’s Grandmother! He was going to go back on his word.

Red knew that she had made a big mistake – she had done something she should have never done - but she couldn’t take it back. It never occurred to her that Mr. Sheep was anything but the fluffy, soft and warm creature that she had first met on the path. All of the things she knew she needed to look for were there – a 3+ year blog of his own, contact information on the tag clipped to his ear, and the foundation of an off-the-beaten-path friendship. But she was wrong – very wrong – and the big, bad wolf, in Mr. Sheep’s clothing, was never going to let her forget that.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

You might think the moral of this story is never trust a wolf in sheep’s clothing, but you would be very wrong. You see, Red had no control over the wolf’s behavior, only her own. The moral of this story is NEVER allow your self-esteem, isolation or heavy heart get so overwhelming that you are willing to do just about anything for approval – NEVER. Reach out to someone and tell them your story, make an appointment to talk to a counselor, cry and scream, but never – EVER – sell your soul for a little artificial praise.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

49 comments:

Nicey said...

Thats not good hun, ((DANA)) I think that I have sometimes read the same book
Laters

Nicey

Ashly Star said...

The moral of the story is a fantastic one indeed. Too bad it's one that most people learn the difficult way and one some people never see.

I really, really enjoyed this post. I'm doing some blog post pimping on Thursday and I hope you'll grant me permission to link this in my post. If not, it's fine. =)

captain corky said...

I really like the moral of this story and also like the fact that Little Red Writing Hood wants to be admired for her looks as well as for her brains. Nothing wrong with that at all. ;)

we're doomed said...

I say, there may be another moral to your story and it is this: Never trust sheep, trust the sheep dog. Sheep are always going to be sheep and act accordingly. The sheep dog's job is to protect. I don't think I need to talk about the Wolf's job description.

Another Suburban Mom said...

That is terrible. Lets go and kick the wolf's ass! Seriously I am sorry that someone you cared about betrayed your trust like that.

Dana said...

Nicey, I think the story is a familiar one to many people, and hopefully reading this will keep them from having to write their own.

Amorous, I'm hoping this fairy tale will serve just one person. If that happens, it was worth Red's mistake! And yes, feel free to link this!

Corky, no, there is no fault in wanting to be appreciated for intellectual and physical traits, but one must be cautious when strolling off the beaten path.

Dana said...

Doomed, the sheep dog would have been a much better keeper in this case. Unfortunately he was walking the old path to Grandmother's and Red didn't see him!

ASM, this is really not about what the wolf did, but about Red's desperation. The wolf did nothing more than act like ... well ... a wolf!

Lu' said...

Son of a bitch I feel for Red. I am so hesitant... I'm just going to stop right there, it's a scarey place.

Karen said...

That is a prefect moral. I was quite like Red when I was younger. Now I look back with shame at some of things I went through.

snugs said...

wait a minute, isn't Red married? so who is the real wolf here?
there are many morals to this tale.

Mike said...

He`s a right Richard head!

Dana said...

Lu, don't feel for Red! Red must learn to live with the decisions she has made - bad or good!

Karen, it's a place many women (and men) find themselves in at different times of their lives and for different reasons, however there are FAR better ways of getting out of that place than the one Red chose.

Snugs, married or not, the moral remains the same. Bottom line? Had Red not fed Mr. Sheep, she'd have NEVER seen the big, bad wolf. The moral lies squarely on Red's shoulders!

Dana said...

Mike, what's odd is that I don't think the big, bad wolf is the villain in this tale. In fact, I would even go so far as to say that the wolf likely feels very vindicated in his actions - he did nothing more than teach a lesson.

Mike said...

Maybe so, but a real man would just walk away and not be such an A**e hole!
Hell, you gave him your trust and his betrayed it or fretting to do so!
In all the year`s i`ve been online and got to know people, not once have i betrayed there trust in me no matter what happens. Yes i`ve been hurt/stabbed in the back, that i will admit but that's life and i don`t hold grudges.

Dana said...

Mike, I just don't want this to be about the wolf. This story really is about Red, as Red was the one who "allowed" the rest of the story to unfold. It would have been a rather short story had Red met Mr. Sheep on the path and just said "Hello" now, wouldn't it?

Mike said...

okay i understand, but just the same.....well at least Red has learn a valuable lesson

M said...

I totally got how the story is less about the wolf and more about Red.

This Red certainly is taking something from that story.

snugs said...

maybe that is all the wolf ever wanted, ya know?

Real Live Lesbian said...

Ok, both the wolf and snugs are creeping me out.

As for Red, I like her. She's honest. She admits when she screws up. And she learns her lessons and accepts responsibility.

Nolens Volens said...

Hello, my name is Mr Dick. I am pleased to have made your acquaintance. Hehe! I really liked your twisted version of the slutty Red and the "normal" Wolf. Maybe I should've named YOU in my Wednesday Weirdness. ;)

Jormengrund said...

Dana:

So, am I a little disturbed when I started to chuckle when you posted that Red found a basket to carry her "goodies" in?

Oh, and the wolf would make a GREAT throw rug..

I'm just sayin'!

Vixen said...

Oooo.......

But DAMN I always love what RLL says. I'm going to make it a point to always comment after she does so I can just say "Yeah! What SHE said!" LOL

But seriously. Dana. I admire the hell out of you. That you put yourself out there so often, fully knowing you are opening yourself and your life up to criticism (altho sometimes I think your readers are awfully hard on you). AND you handle it very well.

I love that as crummy as the wolf turned out to be, you made it be about RED and what SHE learned from this. Which brings us back to what RLL said- so I'll say it now "Yeah! What she said!"

xo

Lu' said...

It is not a lesson you asked to be taught, so I do feel for you. Simply by opening yourself up to people is not asking to be shit upon.

Biscuit said...

*sigh* Amen. Some of those wolves turn into pissy little whiney pups when they get reprimanded, too.

"...never - EVER - sell your soul for a little artificial praise."

Can I have that? It applies in so many ways for those of us who forget that the most important person we need to approve of us is ourselves.

Dana said...

M, Red has much to take from the story!

Snugs, far be it for me to determine the motivations of the wolf - those are really not my concern!

RLL, the entire story is one of caution and awareness. And Red? She has never claimed to be anything but human!

Dana said...

Nolens Volens, quite honestly, I'm kind of glad no one chose me in their Wednesday Weirdness!

Jormengrund, disturbed? Not at all!

Vixen, my readers are no harder on me than I am on myself. And this story really is about Red. The wolf? Just another character in the story.

Dana said...

Lu, no it's not a lesson I directly asked for, but it is one that I clearly needed to learn!

Biscuit, looking for external approval has never done me any justice at all - or Red for that matter!

snugs said...

I admire your morale of the story, I really do- but I can't resist adding...maybe the wolf was really the grandmother in disguise :)

Jay said...

Sometimes it's hard not to look at everyone as a potential wolf in sheep's clothing. I have trust issues and don't open up easily and honestly, I kind of admire the way that Red was able to be more open and trusting. I hope she stays that way, although maybe a bit more cautious. ;-)

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Can I jsut say that RLL made my point perfectly.

But your moral is so true. When we allow ourselves to change because we are lacking in our own self-esteem, we certainly do set ourselves up for a large fall.

I know...I am guilty of that.

I was very angry with myself for a very long time afterward.

I found a new path in the woods and no longer travel the old one.

HUGS DANA

Anonymous said...

Ugh Dana.

I'm sorry.

Hope.

Average Chick said...

Who's ass do I have to kick?

I'm sorry...it is such a hard lesson learned...I think we all do it to some degree. I know I have.

JW said...

I think most of us have come across our own heavily-disguised wolf and most of us, I suspect, have been lulled into a false sense of security by the sheepish exterior.

We can always claim the right to do whatever we want to do but we should also accept the responsibility for the outcomes I guess.

katherine. said...

well written... the internet world certainly provides the perfect sheep cloak doesn't it?

I feel grateful Red embraced the moral...and is whole.

what is disturbing to me is that the wolf is still out there...wearing that e-pn cloak...and not all of his friends will escape as well as Red has...

(picture me loading the double barrel...

Anonymous said...

Yes you are on to something. I would leave you the last two lines of the poem Invictus: I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.

Anonymous said...

Well, it's good Red learned her lesson. I, too, am guilty of trusting too easily.

I've had a few "sheep" come by and ask me for further pics. LOL However *this* Red didn't show him any pics of those goodies especially for Grandma!

Dana said...

Snugs, although the wolf could have been Grandmother, it wasn't so in this story.

Jay, caution is a good thing, but Red has been leaning toward abstinence after this lesson.

Bond, I hear that Red is quite angry with herself right now, but is doing her best to take something good from the story.

Dana said...

Hope, it happens. Since I clearly didn't set a good example, I hope I at least serve as a fabulous warning!

Average, I don't think Red's story is that unusual, but hopefully someone will think twice before falling in the same circumstance.

Ro, and that is where Red is ... accepting the outcome and learning from the lesson.

Dana said...

Kat, it certainly does - even when one takes the "precautions" there are no guarantees! Yes, the wolf is still out there, but hopefully he'll stick with dining on mushrooms rather than people!

Kannon7, unfortunately for Red, it was painful getting on this one!

FF, I will say that Red's trust has, for the most part, been well placed. This was an exception.

Big Kahuna said...

Dana,

So many people wiser that I have given you feedback and support.

that which does not kill us (emotionally) makes us stronger

Kahuna and Babushka

Meg Kelso said...

You don't usually discover a brand new asshole, you happen upon a well known little prick. Trust that others with brains will see the little cyber terrorist for what he is. Those who are too stupid to see that don't really matter.

Red is gonna be just fine.

:):):)

Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry you had to deal with the wolf.

I hope that he gets what is coming to him, whatever that might be.

Schmoop said...

Karma has a way of taking care of everything...and everyone. Cheers Sexy!!

Unknown said...

Dana, this is an excellent story. I can't believe you wrote it! I had to read it twice because it was THAT good and very creative.

But damn girl, I want to shoot the sheep, right between his freaking eyes.

buffalodick said...

There are certain levels of trust I have never been able to achieve.. I am very open in my opinions, and has cost me about what it is worth. Cameras, cell phones, recorders have all made us a little more cautious!

Knight said...

You can only trust yourself. That is what it comes down to in the end. I don't know what the wolf has on red but if you make it meaningless to you the wolf has no power.

I know the wolf you speak of and I have this feeling I might run into them one day. I'll send you some fur lining for your cape when I do.

Anndi said...

Very well put. We can't control what a wolf does... but we have power over ourselves.

Angel said...

I happen to like wolves...they're so unpredictable.

Dana said...

Beth, then feel free to walk a different path with the wolf. I've decided it's far more productive to focus on Red!