- Have you ever noticed that people from New York (the city, not the state) say they are from Brooklyn, New York City ... like the borough is the city and the city is the state ... odd ...
- If Baby Boomers were born from 1946 through 1964, Gen-Xers were born from 1961 through 1981, and I was born in 1964, am I a Boomer, or a Gen-Xer??
- Speaking of Gen-Xers, a friend sent me a link to an article titled The New Midlife Crisis | Why (and How) It's Hitting Gen X Women. In spite of the fact that it's from O Magazine (I'm not an Oprah fan), it really is insightful and made me feel not so crazy.
- Oh! Oh! Oh! According to 10 Things Women Over 40 Should Buy for Themselves, I should own Spanx leggings, a good pair of $200+ jeans, and have my meals delivered by BistroMD. Apparently I should also accumulate large amounts of debt. $200+ jeans? Yah ... NO!
- I find this chart from Straight Statistics quite interesting, depressing, and yet hopeful. It's a chart showing average happiness as a function of age. If I am to believe this information, I am at my least happy right now, and that's not a stretch for me. I'm hoping the rest of this chart is equally accurate.
- I've always been a little envious of people who can knit. It just seemed like a craft that was beyond my attention span, but after reading THIS ARTICLE and watching the videos? I might just give it a shot!
- Who remembers colored toilet paper?? For those of you who don't, you used to be able to purchase toilet paper to match you pastel pink or blue bathroom, which was all the rage in the 50's and 60's. Now when you walk through the toilet paper aisle you are blinded by the WHITE!! If you are interested in the demise of colored toilet paper, this Apartment Therapy article will give you all of the details.
- I mentioned last week that one of the upsides of Cam moving out was fewer dirty dishes. My condo has a dishwasher - something I thought I couldn't live without - but I've discovered that I generate very few dishes on my own. The problem? I didn't own a dish rack and I only have about 2-1/2 feet of counter space next to my sink to use for a dish rack. So? I am now the proud owner of this Over-the-Sink Dish Drainer Rack, and it's PERFECT!
- I treated myself to new pillows and sheets this week. Cam took his pillows and sheets when he left, so his bed is really lacking, and some day I may actually have a guest who needs a bed to sleep in. I decided to purchase some GOOD pillows for my bed and put my old bamboo pillows on his bed - this is how I splurge.
- I should probably write an entire post on Cam and his departure. Hmmmm ... yes! I do think I'll expand on this tenth Thursday Thing another time. It deserves more than a few sentences.
29 March 2018
25 March 2018
1. You can flip a switch that will wipe any band or musical artist out of existence. Which one will it be?
Who remembers Tiny Tim?? If you don't, you really should watch this YouTube video and you'll understand within seconds why I'd like this music gone forever.
2. You seem to be having an excellent day because you just came across a hundred-dollar bill on the sidewalk. Holy crap, a hundred bucks! How are you gonna spend it.
One-hundred dollars? Hmmmm ... there's nothing that I need or want right now, so I think I'd toss it in my savings account until I could decide on the best way to use it.
3. What is your favorite curse word
FUCK!! It's concise, to the point, and quite versatile! Fuckity fuck fuck fuck!!
4. You can travel any time in the PAST. What time are you traveling to and what are you going to do when you get there?
Send me back to August 15th, 1969, to a dairy farm in the Catskill Mountains so I can see Jimi Hendrix, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Janis Joplin, and Santana (just to name a few) perform!
5. You accidentally eat some radioactive vegetables. They were good, and what’s even cooler is that they endow you with the super-power of your choice! What’s it gonna be?
I want the power of mimicry! Can you imagine being able to absorb the skills and/or abilities of the best of the best? Yep! Give me all of the mimicry!
6. When did you last use your cell phone as a flashlight?
Maybe two days ago? I may or may not have been in my dark bedroom trying to find something in my "naughty" drawer ...
7. On a scale from 1-10, how comfy are you being naked?
Naked by myself? I'd go with 9 ... 10 if there were no mirrors. Naked in front of others? Maybe a 2 ... on a good day.
8. When did you last use food or drink to enhance your mood?
That would be yesterday. Saturdays are my date days with my mom, and definitely require a drink or two ... or three ...
9. Give us a word that gets you excited.
Hmmmmm ... let's go with TRAVEL! I'm pretty sure I was actually born into a family of gypsies and was accidentally given to the wrong parents at the hospital.
10. Now give us one that makes you squirm.
I bet you think I'm going to pick something like mucous, orifice, pus, secrete, or moist (anyone squirming yet?), but no ... the word that makes me squirm is COLONOSCOPY!
11. What word makes you smile?
There are lots of words that make me smile. Bumfuzzle, cattywampus, taradiddle, snickersnee, widdershins, collywobbles ... just try to say collywobbles without smiling!
22 March 2018
- I am enjoying not having a cable bill, but I've found one downside to "free" TV ... WIND. Wind is a frequent weather event here in Las Vegas, and when it's windy? My antenna reception goes to shit!
- And today? We're expecting the arrival of a Pineapple Express. I guess that's better than the FOUR Nor'easters the east coast has seen this month. I can barely contain my excitement over the upcoming monsoon season!
- Cam moved out Friday. The circumstances of his move are less than desirable (he has decided to live in his Suburban), but now I have an extra master bedroom and am considering looking for a roommate. I could use the help with rent and utilities, but don't know if I really want to have a roommate. Maybe I'll just get a second job ...
- The upside to Cam moving out? Fewer dirty dishes, less trash to take out, and leftovers always being exactly where I left them!
- The downside to Cam moving out? Cooking for one. I'm finding myself eating a lot of prepared foods (i.e. Lean Cuisine Frozen Entrees) rather than the fresh foods I was cooking when he was here. Need to work on that.
- My new favorite word is "Cannabusiness". I just like the way it rolls off my tongue.
- *NOTE TO SELF*
- Apparently there are unwritten elevator rules. For the record? Rule number two is “Hold the door if it’s not an inconvenience.” Oh HELL NO!!! I've been known to push the CLOSE DOOR button if I think someone might be getting on the elevator with me, and I've been known to skip an elevator if there are more than two people on it.
- Toys 'R Us is the latest victim of the inability adapt to a changing marketplace. The good news? Their GOING OUT OF BUSINESS SALE starts tomorrow. The question I need an answer to?? What happens to Geoffrey the Giraffe???
- I was reading an article on Apartment Therapy titled 10 Wacky But Brilliant Vintage Appliances They Should Just Go Ahead & Reinvent For Today and realized I grew up in a home with the Ronson Can-do
20 March 2018
|TMI Tuesday Blog|
1. Who was the first person you ever had a crush on? Why did you like them?
Ohhhh ... 1975 ... Brian Webster. I think I had a crush on him because he was the only boy my age who was taller than me (at 11, I was 5'-10"). That and we owned the exact same american flag themed sweatshirt. Okay ... he was cute too.
Interesting side note, for those of you who are old like me and might have been paying attention to the Little League World Series in 1982, Brian's little brother, Cody, was the winning pitcher for the Kirkland Washington Little League team that represented the U.S. and upset Taiwan to win the 1982 Little League World Series.2. What is the most important material possession you have and why?
I had to really think about what material possession I would be most sad to lose for any reason, and there are actually two, both with a common theme ... my son.
|A ceramic cast of son's hand when he was 15 months old|
|A large plate that son painted and had fired for me at a ceramics workshop|
3. If you were a cake which cake would you be?
Let's see ... definitely not a shortcake, but at times a fruit cake as well as a dump cake. Probably most often a pineapple upside down cake ... a little fruity and put together in a strange way.4. Has anything/anyone every saved your life before?
No, and I think that's a really good thing! As far as I know, I've never been close enough to death for someone to have to save me.5. If you could wake up tomorrow having gained any one quality or ability, what would it be?
I would love to wake up bilingual, with spanish or American Sign Language (or both) being my languages of choice.Bonus: Do you have a dream you’re pursuing? Tell us about it.
I don't know if you'd call it a dream, but I am currently looking in to attending the culinary arts program at The Art Institute of Las Vegas. I've always loved cooking and I now have the time to go back to school. Maybe I'll start a new career at 55 *shrugs*
13 March 2018
1. Do you have a special place you like to have sex regularly?
I'd like to just have sex regularly. Right now? Wherever that happened would be a special place!
2. What’s the hardest thing you’ve ever done? The scariest?
Hmmmmm ... the hardest thing? If I had to pick just one (life hasn't exactly been easy) I'd go with a long-term hard - being a single parent beginning at son's conception, with no family support (I lived in Maryland and Illinois - family was in Washington), and no contact/visitation with his biological father.
The scariest thing? I don't scare easily. I do remember being terrified the first time I had to give an STD talk to an Army platoon. That was pretty scary.
3. Are you annoying?
I try really hard not to be annoying. I prefer to be as invisible as possible to the general public. That said, I have been told I am intimidating. PFFFFTTTTT!!
4. A person whom you’ve had “the hots” for a very long time tells you they are super attracted to you. You spend a few hours together and the sexual attraction is overwhelming. You are dying to have this person as your lover. At the moment you are highly aroused, and he/she wants to have sex with you in a church, would you do it?
Ummmm ... of course! Probably not on a pew during Sunday church services (although it would be funny to see how the parishioners reacted), but I don't really have any "off limits" sex venues - as long as I'm not likely to be arrested? It's on!
5. While in the middle of the best lovemaking of your life, if your lover asked you to squeal like a dolphin, would you?
Is my lover a dolphin? If not? I might find that request a little odd, but apparently it's a thing - there's a reddit thread for it!
Bonus: Are you good in bed?
Am I good at what in bed? I'm pretty good sleeping in bed except when the night sweats and leg cramps kick in ...
What? That's not what was being asked? I'd like to think I'm good in bed, but I'm probably not the one you should ask. I can give you a few names of people who might be able to tell you *wink*
08 March 2018
- Can a person still dial 4-1-1 and talk to and actual operator, or is it the 555-1212 number that has to be dialed? Do people still call information? These are the thoughts that keep me up at night
- You probably had enough avocado talk last week, but *swoon*
- In addition to avocados, it appears this country is also obsessed with Chip and Joanna Gaines. The latest obsession? The gender of baby #5. First of all, why?? And secondly, these are some of those weird people who name their kids based on the alphabet. Their girls' names start with the letter E and their boys' names start with the letter D. You'd think Chip and Joanna would choose the letters C and J.
- I always get excited when HGTV advertises their Dream Home Giveaways. I can't help but fantasize about living in a luxurious home for FREE! But? Apparently winning the HGTV Dream home has it's own curse, and most people opt for the cash prize alternative. Who knew?
- The jacuzzi just steps away from my front door is being worked on and has been out of service for just short of two weeks. We do have another jacuzzi on the property, but it requires a drive. I figure bath bombs might be the next best thing (even though I no longer have a garden tub) and discovered this Bath Bomb Kit on Amazon. For just $29.95 you get everything you need to make SEVENTY - yes SEVEN ZERO - bath bombs.
- I need this Your Message Here light box in my life. And yes, it comes with a plethora of letters so that you can change the message.
- Did you know that eBay is trying to be the online dollar store? Their new Under $10 Store is an easy way to spend $100 on a bunch of stuff you didn't even know you needed!
- Speaking of dollar deals, Applebee's drink of the month is an Absolute Vodka Lemonade and it's yours for just $2 the entire month of March. This might actually get me into an Applebee's!
- Since it's 10 Things Thursday, here are 10 Lies You Believe About Swingers. I can tell you the unicorn is real!
- Speaking of swingers and unicorns, did you know that a black ring worn on the right hand is a sign that you are out and open to meet other swingers? Now you know ... and so do I!
06 March 2018
The TMI Tuesday questions weren't very interesting (to me) this week, so one less meme ... which I'm sure some of you are grateful for!
Let me first make a confession - I never read, nor saw, Tuesdays with Morrie. I did scan the SparkNotes to make sure it was the plot I thought it was, because if it wasn't? This post title wouldn't make a lick of sense. So ... there is that!
Anywell *bonus points to any sports talk radio fans who get this reference* ...
Since moving to Las Vegas, I have been rekindling my relationship with my mom. We spent decades apart, talking maybe once every 6 months? There were many reasons for this - too many to list here - not all of them faults of mom.
Initially, when Mike and I moved here, there were some boundary issues. Mom would stop by the apartment, unannounced, once or twice a week *WARNING* This is one of the quickest ways to piss me off in a nanosecond so we quickly came to an agreement that I would spend Saturday afternoons with her - a mom date of sorts. Every Saturday, at 2:30 PM, I pick her up and we go to our now favorite neighborhood bar, have drinks, eat lunch, and discuss the meaning of life. It's also the one day of the week that I put makeup on because mom tells me she is embarrassed to be seen with me if I'm not wearing makeup. That should give you some insight into the tone of my relationship with mom.
About half of the time, these dates end in some sort of drama, usually instigated by mom having one too many dry manhattans.
There was the time when we were leaving the bar and when she opened the car door, slammed it into the car next to us ... which just happened to have someone in it. Fortunately, there was no damage, but it got pretty dicey there for a bit as she insisted that she didn't hit their car (she did).
Then there was the time she decided it was a good idea to be extremely critical of my parenting. As I tried to keep my cool, she continued to poke the bear. That date ended in me telling her to "FUCK OFF" and walking home.
*SIDE NOTE* This was before I insisted on being the designated driver for our dates. I am now - always - the designated driver and I do drink responsibly.
We had one of these drama Saturdays this weekend ... again dry manhattan fueled. When dry manhattan fueled, mom has a tendency to forget what she says, then when I question her on it, she insists she didn't say whatever the offensive remark was and gets beyond defensive. Me being me, rather than just letting it go, I turn into a right fighter. I'm sure Dr. Phil would ask, "How's that working for you?" Mom then abruptly stood up and left the bar. I had to chase her down, pour her into my car, then go back in and pay our tab.
I'm still undecided as to whether or not Saturdays with Mom are beneficial to our relationship, or a snapshot of everything that has ever been wrong in our relationship.
For now? I just need to work on being "nice" for the three hours we spend together each week. I'm certain that mastering that skill will be valuable in other aspects of my life, right??
04 March 2018
This one looked ... well? Interesting! Not the "standard" meme
I would be the female counterpart to Dionysus. I would be the goddess of grape harvest, vodka making and vodka ... because nothing is better than a bottle of Ciroc.Byzantine: Do you prefer gold or silver accessories?
Au > Ag ... at least in atomic mass *snicker*Medieval: Are you religious?
I am not religious. I believe that religion - specifically organized religion - often brings out the worst in people. I prefer to live my life from the "Don't be an asshole" religion.Gothic: What is your favourite historic building?
I have always been a huge fan of Frank Lloyd Wright and Prairie School architecture in general.
Renaissance: Have you ever had a time in your life when you felt enlightened or changed?
Ha! Enlightened or changed? No ...but if someone knows how I can find some enlightenment, please share!Baroque: Do you enjoy the finer things in life?
I do appreciate the finer things in life, but generally? I'm more practical - finer things seem extravagant to me.Rococo: Is your bedroom full of trinkets and pictures? If so, which pictures adorn your walls?
I do have quite a few trinkets and pictures in my bedroom. The pictures help define my "office" space from my "sleeping" space since both of these are in my bedroom.
Writing letters (I've mentioned this before). I think the art of letter writing has (sadly) gone the way of the dinosaur. It is such an intimate, special thing when you receive a handwritten letter or note, knowing that someone took the time to sit down, think about you, and put a piece of themselves on paper.Romanticism: Do you often see things in a positive light?
I try to see things in a positive light, although I sometimes fail miserably.Pre-Raphaelite: Which book would you like to see turned into a film?
None! I am not a fan of turning books into films, especially if it is a book I've read and enjoyed. I want my imagery of the story to remain intact, and that seldom happens when a book is turned into a film.Impressionism: Do you look for details or take everything in at once?
I'm an accountant - need I say more?Art Nouveau: When were you last at the theatre?
December 2015 (Star Wars Episode VII – The Force Awakens), however I am considering going to see Black Panther in the theater as I think that will be the only way to do the film justice.Surrealism: Why does the porcupine think it's a duck?
*gigglesnort* Ummmm ... I've got nothing! Clearly I am not a surrealist.Pop Art: Do you enjoy pop culture?
I do enjoy pop culture when it goes beyond the dumbed down version that the masses are fed. New ideas are fascinating - I just don't accept that they are great ideas because the mainstream tells me they are great ideas.
Contemporary: What did you do today?
So far? Woke up at 5:22 to a power outage - began to panic at 6:30 when it still wasn't on and I hadn't had a cup of coffee yet - then moments later power was restored! Then I drank coffee, took in Sunday morning news, and wrote this post.
Sundays are usually pretty good days until about 5:00 PM when they turn into SMondays ...
01 March 2018
- Avocado toast? Why??
- And avocado proposals? What is this weird obsession with this ugly fruit? I like avocados as much as the next person ... in guacamole ... where they belong!
- Now that the Winter Olympics are over, I thought this article and slide show addressing what happens to Olympic Villages after the games end was interesting *HINT* Not all Olympic Villages have a happy ending
- Did you know that Olympic athletes in PyeongChang received roughly 37 condoms each? Apparently there is a lot of sex going on at the Olympics. Maybe I need to join a curling team.
- I need this cookie cutter in my life ...
- Have you heard about the marijuana amnesty drop boxes that have been installed here at McCarran airport? If you forget that you purchased recreational marijuana while visiting Vegas, and remember that it is a Federal offense to transport it across state lines, there is now a legal way to dispose of it. That's Vegas for you ... always giving ...
- In other news, poop is a really popular kids toy this year according to Gizmodo. Kind of like avocados, I just don't get it!
- After being dormant for a while, I seem to have found my sexuality. Of course, it lives in my phone *unfortunate* but is quite ... well? Satisfying. Who knew? Yes ... this point might have been better suited to a TMI Tuesday post, but y'all know how I feel about rules!
- I thought this lifehacker article on how to fight isolation when you work from home had some good ideas. I've actually implemented several of them as the isolation I experienced this past year negatively impacted my relationship with Mike and my mental health.
- Now that I've cut cable, I find these monthly Netflix coming and going articles extremely helpful. They always give me ideas on what I should watch.