18 July 2009

It's Not Just a Birthday

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


One of the highlights of my visit back home was the opportunity to reconnect with my step-brother and his family. My parents divorced when I was 16 and they both remarried after I left home. Because of this, even though my dad and step-mom were married for 10 years, my contact with my step-brother was minimal. In fact, the last time I saw him he was Cam's age.

On one of our last days in Washington, my dad, Cam and I drove north (just 25 miles short of the Canadian border) to visit my step-brother, his "wife" (they've been together for 5 years now, but have decided to skip the marriage thing) and their 3-year old daughter (they are expecting a son on July 28th). It was a trip that I had great deal of apprehension about, but it was a FABULOUS time! More on that later ...

Anyway ... while step-brother and I were catching up, he asked me how old I was. I told him I'd be 45 in less than a week, to which he responded (in his best, 32-year old snarkiness), "45? That's not an age, that's a SPEED LIMIT!"

He made me smile ... and remember that life sometimes gives you little gifts that that feel like dog shit when you first step in them look like weeds when you first see them, but upon closer inspection, blossom into beautiful circumstances and memories you could have only imagined.

Thanks "T", for being adult enough to ignore the problems our parents had and for welcoming Cam and me into your family! It is a very special gift you gave - one that I promise to cherish!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

21 comments:

buffalodick said...

You aren't old until you're over the posted speed limit!

we're doomed said...

Your brother is on to something. All I know is the older I get, the faster time seems to go. There is something going on with this speed limit thingy. Stay tuned!

Lu' said...

Lordy I am 6 miles over that speed limit :)

Here's hoping NO ONE gives you unpleasantness of any kind on your Birthday. If I could give you that gift I would.

Nolens Volens said...

Speed Limit, eh? Hmm. Happy birthday, you old fart. ;)

captain corky said...

Happy Birthday Dana!!! I hear the weather is going to be almost perfect today. And it's all just for you!

Hubman said...

Happy birthday Dana!

I was gonna leave some snarky remark (since you're soooo much older than me...) but found these thoughts to share instead:

A well adjusted woman is one who not only knows what she wants for her birthday, but even knows what she's going to exchange it for.

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age. - Lucille Ball

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what happened. - Jennifer Yane

A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman's birthday but never remembers her age. - Robert Frost

A birthday is just the first day of another 365-day journey around the sun. Enjoy the trip!

You were born an original. Don't die a copy. - John Mason

Average Chick said...

That is a cute reference!!

Happy birthday sexy girl!!! It's a great day to have one!! :)

Jay said...

Happy Birthday babe! ;-)

Dice Mardell said...

Happy Happy Speed Limit!

If you are liking your forties, you are gonna LOVE your fifties.

And if you aren't, then I hope you can make the necessary adjustments so that you can (love your fifties, that is).

Hugs,

(I guess my Sis', Lu, and I are officially speeding because I am 7 miles over)

rage said...

Hmmm, and I thought you weren't going to announce when your b-day was so I didn't say anything on my blog...me thinks you forgot about it...tee hee....

Also, what your stepbrother has to remember is he'll someday be the same age and will remember this conversation. If he doesn't...you should definitely bring it up to him!

Happy birthday sweetie!

Vanessa said...

Love it! Happy early birthday from someone who is also a speed limit! Only a lower one (snicker snicker.)

~*Jobthingy*~ said...

speed limit.. love it.

Happy Birthday Sweets!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FROM YOUR SPECIAL FRIENDS IN MEMPHIS!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

What a great treat! And Happy Birthday! :-)

Deech said...

Happy Birthday Dana...as my dad always told me, its not the age its the mileage.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!

Kim

Osbasso said...

Hell, yer just a kid.

With a bday on my busiest day of the year...sorry I missed it, but I wasn't near a computer.

On the other hand, distractions are always appreciated! :-) Happy Birthday, Dana!!!

Schmoop said...

Happy B-Day...Cheers!!

Vixen said...

Hope you had a really great Birthday.

Belated Birthday wishes!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy late b-day!

thats cool about your bro, good times!

Unknown said...

I'm gonna be 45 in a few short weeks, and it doesn't feel like it, AT ALL!!!! And last night Ariana asked me "Did you have electricity back then?" I asked, "Back when?" She said, "You know, when you were little."

Lord.