29 July 2009

It's BADD and I've Got It!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


That's right, I've got a case of Blogger Attention Deficit Disorder - commonly known as BADD. BADD is far worse - and the polar opposite - of writer's block. It's not that I can't think of anything to write ... noooo ... in fact I've got 27.56 post ideas swimming in my head, I just can't seem to focus on any one of them long enough to actually generate a post.

Here's how it went last night ...

Got home from work at precisely 5:12PM. That means I've got 18 minutes to scream at Cam to hurry up and get ready for football practice decompress before heading back out for my evening routine. I check email, scream, "ARE YOU GETTING DRESSED?", make sure I haven't missed anything on Twitter, scream, "WE HAVE TO BE WALKING OUT THE DOOR IN 3 MINUTES!", close up the laptop when I hear Cam's bedroom door shut so that he's not waiting on me.

Drop Cam off at practice, navigating the hundreds mini-van's in the parking lot. SHIT! Cheerleaders are practicing tonight too. That means Cam will be at least 20 minutes late "finding" the car after practice. Head home - dinner to cook.

Check FaceBook. My "sister-in-law" had a scheduled c-section today. Must see if she's posted pictures of baby Logan yet. What?? Karen scored over 100K on Bejeweled? I like Bejeweled - I bet I can beat her. I'll just play a few rounds then work on my blog post. OK, maybe I'm not as good as I think I am, let me pick a blog post topic.

National Health Care? Nahhhh ... don't feel like having to actually write intelligent responses to the comments of all of the mom jean wearing President Obama supporters who tend to read my blog.

What else is in the post hopper. I can't believe I only scored 16,200 on Bejeweled. How embarrassing. Let me just play a few more rounds and see what I can do. **"She's a Brick House" blares from the cell phone** SHIT! Where's the friggin' pause on this game? **answers phone - it's husband** Husband is running late. I tell him it's leftovers for dinner tonight because I'm addicted to Bejeweled I'd like to have a night off from cooking. Get my first 25K badge. What was I going to post on again?

Oh! The "Cash for Clunkers" program - the one that seems to have similar qualifications as the Federal Mortgage Assistance program (i.e. you've made poor decisions so the Federal Government wants to reward you for them). That's a great post. I can go on a tirade about how the government seems focused on rewarding poor behavior, thus encouraging more people to do even less for themselves. Nahhh ... Matt-Man will jump on that one, encouraging my favorite troll, snugs, and then I'll have to explain blogger writing style and strike-throughs to her again.

What? Is that the garage door? SHIT! How did it get to be 8PM so quickly? I'm going to be late picking Cam up from practice and he's going to think I forgot about him. Must close laptop and head out. **waves at husband as I walk out the door**

Get to the practice field at 8:13. Sure enough, there's Cam talking to a group of cheerleaders. Oh! There's a post idea - the trials and tribulations of testosterone laden teens. Too bad I left the laptop at home. Ehhh - that's a little to mommy-blogger-ish anyway. Which reminds me, I was going to do a post on breaking the mommy-blogger stereotype. I contributed to that stereotype on Twitter last week during BlogHer. BlogHer? That was a post idea too! The many faces of bloggers at BlogHer (from the outside looking in). SHIT! I yell, "Cam! Could you please not beat up the car with your helmet?"

Ask Cam what he wants for dinner. Surprise! McDonald's ... again ...

Make the 7 mile trek to the truck stop where the nearest McDonald's resides. Chit chat about practice - what's going well - what isn't. Order a #1, LARGE, with Hi-C orange (that's a BigMac meal for you McD novices). Smell Cam's fries and wipe the drool from my mouth. Walk back into the house at 9:14. Sit on the sofa and open up the laptop. I bet I can fit in just a few more games of Bejeweled before I write this post. Ha! I hit the 50K badge! WooHoo! How did it get to be 10:48? I better head to bed.

**Wakes up and looks at the clock - wonders what woke me** SHIT! *cough*hack*cough*cough* FUCK! *cough*hack*cough*cough* Husband is coughing uncontrollably and punctuating his irritation with expletives. Great ... wonder how long this will go on. **Tries to go back to sleep** 3:27 FUCK! *cough*hack*cough*cough* SHIT! *cough*hack*cough*cough* Still going ...

Hear the alarm. 5:00. Must get up to write blog post. Make coffee. Check FaceBook for updates on Logan. What?? One of my other FaceBook friends beat my Bejeweled high score last night? Let me just play a few more rounds and see if I can do better. Ha! I got the 75K badge! That will show them! I wonder if husband is ever going to get in the shower? Head up to bedroom to see what the hold-up is. Husband is still in bed? Ask, "Are you going to work today?" Husband responds, "NO! I didn't get any sleep last night!" Think of some snarky comment about knowing the feeling but not having the option of staying home and getting paid, but just get in the shower instead.

Empty cat litter box - feed cats - check email again. Gahhh! I wonder if I can get a post written at work today? Nahhh ... that's pushing the boundaries a bit too far even for my comfort level ...

And that my dear readers is what BADD looks like. Not very pretty, is it?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

28 comments:

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I am really first????

OK Dana... one word...

bwahahahahhahahahahahahahhaahaha

(hey that IS TOO a word)

I get like that with designing things like I am now..I sit at the computer and the next thing I know someone put me in a time machine and made it 3 hours later...

Jay said...

I've been suffering from BADD for a while too. But, I still haven't caught IOHS.

Sorry .. had to check Twitter real quick before finishing this comment.

I remember sitting around talking to cheerleaders. Those were some good times. Now the only cheerleaders I get to talk to are the strippers dressed as cheerleaders. Did I over share there?

Hold on. Checking Facebook

I had a post ranting about the Cash for Clunkers program, but then threw it out. I wouldn't really describe it as "rewarding people for poor choices." I just think it's a poorly designed idea.

Uhh .. that's all I've got. Hilarious post babe. ;-)

Osbasso said...

I believe the real problem in all of this is Bejeweled. Glad I don't play that!

Another Suburban Mom said...

I think you need a mental health day from everyone and everything. Too bad you can't check yourself into a local hotel for 24 hours with free wifi and breakfast and just decompress.

Hubman said...

ASM refers to it as ITS- Internet time suck (I'm surprised she didn't mention it herself). ITS is when you sit down at the computer "for a few minutes" only to realize that hours have passed.

Not that I've ever done that *wink*

Karen said...

That Bejeweled Blitz sucks me in every time! I need a 12 step program.

I am doing Cash for Clunkers!! I have a qualifying car (and I finally found the title) so I should have my new CRV by next week. I don't agree with 99.7% of what Obama is doing, but I guess I'd be a fool if I didn't take advantage of the offer.

Unknown said...

Oh Dana, I freaking love this post!!! It was great! You are such a great writer.

And the thing with Bejeweled? I'm the SAME way with Farkle!!!

And why aren't we friends on Face Book? I didn't know you were on there.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I don't get the Facebook games. I just can't get into them.

Karen said...

Update: No Cash for Clunckers for me!! The government has RUN OUT of funds for the program. LOL. My dealer said they were notified that The applications exceeded the funds and new applications could be submitted but buyers would have to pay up front and hope to get some funds if they extend the program.

So now I am keeping my gas guzzler and further killing our environment. It is a great car and I only considered the trade in because of the incentive money. Oh well.

M said...

Great post!

I think everyone has those days where the mindless activities seem to be the only thing you have the attention span for (ie: Facebook).

Thanks for sharing yours!

Bette said...

I can really relate to the Bejeweled thing and I was just as bad way before Facebook! Off to play a little now...

Aunt Becky said...

see, i just have add today. too much to freaking do!

we're doomed said...

BADD, don't let it happen to you!

Lola said...

So, that's what my problem is? I thought I was just a bad blogger!

Thanks for stopping by the other day. Cool blog you got here, girl!

Dana said...

Bond, why yes, you are first! Too bad I'm not a cool blogger with thinks to give away to the first commenter!

Jay, I think I'm still going to do the Cash for Clunkers post ... if I don't log on to FaceBook tonight.

Osbasso, I have no problem with Bejeweled ... I have a problem with my FaceBook friends having a higher score on Bejeweled than I have!

Dana said...

Another Suburban Mom, I think I just need some mental health! *wink*

Hubman, ITS does sound quite a bit like BADD, without the trips to the football field!

Karen, you do realize that *YOU* are the reason for my addiction, right??

Dana said...

Bina, I just wanted to quash all ideas that I might have it all together in at least one facet of my life. Nope! Pretty much just a mess all around!
FaceBook is something that I have kept VERY separate from my blog and (most) other bloggers as it is my link to my family and I cannot have the two cross lines.

Evil Twin's Wife, the Mafia Wars, the Food Fights - those are all *CRAP*. But give me a game that requires a bit of thought and eye-hand coordination and I'm there!

Karen, WooHoo! I mean ... I'm totally sorry that didn't work out for you Karen *makes note to add that to my post on Cash for Clunkers"

Dana said...

Emmy, unfortunately I have far more of those days than I do any other type of day!

Bette, one of the people I follow on Twitter informed me earlier in the day that she beat my high score. I'll be up all night just so she can't keep that claim to fame!

Aunt Becky, see what happens when you offer to send out business cards to the throngs of Aunt Becky admirers??

Dana said...

we're doomed, or, it could just give neww meaning to the song, "BADD, BADD, Leroy Brown"! said...

Lola, oh sure ... stop by when I steal ... ummm ... err ... RECYCLE your "Mom-jean wearing President" line! I know it looks like I stole, perjured and blogged without integrity, but I *swear* I had used that line before too!

Thank *you* for stopping by!

katherine. said...

you and I live in parallel universes...

there is gonna be a twelve step for people like us...mark my words...

snugs said...

Interesting, it appears that your entire life or at least 95% of it is all online... no wonder your marriage fell apart. And no sweetie, there is no need to explain your little writing style to me again, I "get" that you do the strike through so as to appear to be nice and not really thinking that, I also "get" that what you striked through is what you first thought and what you really feel but are too cowardly to say it out right,it's your way to still give that dig and sound superior or it's your F**k you under the table, it's just your signature style. The Dana signature if you will...and btw, you do it really well.

Autumn said...

such a clever lady you are dana. you've made a whole post out of a mish mash of thoughts and events. i just love it! i've thought to do this as well. i've got the BADD sometimes too. my cousin sunshine and I were talking tonight and she was telling me about bejeweled. she's totally hooked.

Vixen said...

Oh....I've got it too. Never heard of Bejeweled, haven't gotten into any of the FB 'games'. But I def have BADD!

(and wow snugs.....LMAO...do. not. get. it)

Great post Dana!

buffalodick said...

Have you ever notiticed the fine line between "be" and "wannabe"? Stay real like you are, and all will be well...

Dana said...

katherine, it's a little bit scary, isn't it?

snugs, on this day I'd say that about 10% of my awake time was actually on-line, but another 20% of it was thinking about things that I wanted to do online. Not usually how my day goes.

And no, you *DON'T* get the strike through - nor my writing style - but you do seem to enjoy getting your own digs in, which makes your comments even more entertaining.

The only thing that really bothers me about your comments anymore is your extremely low opinion of my readers (whom you know even less of than you know about me). It's pretty clear you think they are all idiots, since you are the only person who reads this blog who has any idea what kind of person I *really* am.

autumn, After my bout with Bejeweled on Tuesday, I was pretty burned out on it, but it was fun while it lasted!

Dana said...

Vixen, I prefer to just laugh at snugs these days too, although I do admire her persistence ... or is that pettiness?

buffalodick, I would hope that if I ever start down that path, my readers will let me know. I've seen it happen to other bloggers and it's not very pretty.

rage said...

Too much to do, never enough time.

Your hubby sounds like my ex boyfriend with regards to work. He'd (my ex) use any excuse NOT to go to work...

"I didn't get enough sleep"

"I stepped on a worm"

...and the excuses continue...

Librarian Lee said...

So glad I don't post my Bejeweled scores on Facebook :) Now I know why.