20 March 2009

Friday Wrap-Up

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

You might remember the Virtual Cookie Exchange that Another Suburban Mom hosted in December. Well, she's at it again, this time with a Virtual Appetizer Exchange.

I'm a huge fan of finger foods, but I have a tendency to lose track of what I've eaten, so I always try to have a few healthier options on hand. This is one of my favorites.

(Yes ... these are ones I actually made - this morning - so that I could get a good photo for the post)

Cream Cheese 'n Herb Cucumber Bites

1 carrot, shredded (about 1/2 cup), divided
1/2 cup PHILADELPHIA 1/3 Less Fat Cream Cheese with Chive & Onion
2 cucumbers, cut lengthwise in half, seeded

Set aside 2 Tbsp. carrots. Mix remaining carrots with cream cheese; spoon into cucumber shells. Top with reserved carrots.

Cut each cucumber half into 5 pieces to serve.

~*~*~*~*~

Thanks to all of you who managed to get through my self-harm story this week. It really wasn't something I had planned on sharing on the blog. It would have been much, much easier to keep this hidden from all of you. I appreciate the outpouring of support, both in the comments and from those of you who shared via email.

There were a handful of folks who felt I was trying to justify my behavior. Although I can see how someone might get that impression from the series, justifying, by definition, would imply that I am claiming self-harm/self-injury is "right." There were several times, throughout the series, that I mentioned this was an unacceptable, unhealthy way to deal with emotions. It is a behavior I am changing, not defending.

Some of these same people also took issue with my comparison of self-harm to other unacceptable, unhealthy ways of dealing with emotions (over-eating, alcoholism, etc.). My position isn't that they are identical, but rather that they have far more in common than we might think, and it is more productive to look for something we can identify with (compassion) as we try to help others, than it is to sit in our glass house with a handful of stones as we judge others.

I hope that in sharing my "shame" I have encouraged just one person to reach out for the help they may need in their lives, no matter what the behavior they face might be.

~*~*~*~*~

One more thing, then I promise to quit rambling. Last week, a blogger that I first met through an email list, Ramblings of a devoted Baseball Mom, gave me this Blogger Love award. Although I won't be following the "rules" and passing it on (I know, you are all surprised by that) I did want to thank her.

Although I'm not naming names, just know that every single one of the blogs I read is special to me in some way - that's why I read them.

Have a great weekend and enjoy these first few days of spring!


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


15 comments:

Karen said...

I am an appetizer freak. When I am just cooking for one, I'd rather make some finger foods like this than a full meal. Those look yummy.

Christo Gonzales said...

you know de nile is not just a river in egypt....

Dana said...

Karen, this recipe really is good, fairly healthy and EASY!

Doggy, put those rocks down! All of that shattered glass around you is dangerous!

Another Suburban Mom said...

Looks yummy! I am a huge appetizer fan. When I go out to eat I just want to go with someone who will order a bunch of appy's and drinks and skip the actual dinner.

Thanks for playing!

none said...

Thanks for the recipe. I need to make some healthy snacks this weekend for a birthday party.

Real Live Lesbian said...

I'm with ASM....let's just have wine and appetizers!

That recipe looks fabulous!

Happy Spring!

Nicey said...

Can't cook won't cook : (
Have a good weekend.
Laters

Nicey
x

Jormengrund said...

Dana, I have to admit that I'm impressed with your courage to be willing to share the difficult things in your life.

I know that I've tried to be one to sit back and understand where you were coming from, and understand the coping mechanism used for the behavior, and not pass judgement as far as what was right or wrong. To me, as long as you've admitted that it's something you need to change, then you're taking a step in the right direction.

The appetizer looks good, even if it is a bit more green than I'd like..

Hope you have a great weekend, and I'll see you on Tuesday!

Christo Gonzales said...

ok cybil, one day its one thing the next day its cream cheese and cucumbers....LOL

we're doomed said...

I love appetizers.

bicyclesandblotts said...

the appitizer looks great. we all find ways to deal with things , some are healthy and some are not you should be praised for knowing when you are acting in a unhealthy way and trying to change it. i didn't see it as justifying just sharing a dark personal experience. why else do we read and write these type of blogs if not to share those things

Just me... said...

Thanks for the recipe!! :):)

Brian Gardes said...

Mmmm. You look beer look good. Bet you taste good too ;)

Anonymous said...

I'd totally do that "appetizer" as a complete meal. Looks great despite the lack of grilled meat or cheese. As for your sharing of your shame, know that we here in blogland understand that you were not justifying and that the level at which you share parts of your life, both good and bad, is what draws us to you. If we didn't wanna hear it, we'd not click your link. And never, ever, ever, stop rambling. Your ramblings are music to my eyes. You rock!
FMD

Anonymous said...

So easy, yet looks so good!

I hope you can overcome the unhealthy habits in your life....you are right, it is not acceptable, but not acceptable to YOU. You should not be ashamed; ALL of us have issues and deal with them in so many different ways. I used to be so secretive about my depression, afraid that it was a character flaw. But I got to a point where I don't hide it; if the subject comes up, I admit I suffer from it...I don't want to, I am trying to get over it, but in the mean time, I don't have any room in my life for people who judge...

Good luck Dana!