03 March 2009

No Sex, but a Sextet!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I've been having a difficult time wrapping my arms around TMI Tuesday lately. It's not that TMI Tuesday is any different, just that I seem to be in more of a reflective, opinionated philosophical mode these days and I just can't seem to merge the place I'm at with talking about sexual acts/positions/practices. Well, maybe I could, but still ...

One of the blogs I lurk on (yes, I'm one of those people) is Volly's This is my secret hiding place. Volly tackles some interesting topics, and usually from a different perspective than mine, which is why I enjoy her so much. She did a Six Happy Things post this morning and I thought focusing on happy was a far more productive way for me to spend my morning. So, if you stopped by to hear about my past sexual exploits (because y'all know there aren't any present ones) I hope you'll stick around for a little HAPPY instead!


1. Chick 'n Dip. Yes, a little hole-in-the-wall drive-in makes me happy! Why? This is what America was built on. A little mom and pop joint that hires local teenagers to work there in the summer and has the best Broasted Chicken ever. If that weren't enough, they have hand-dipped cones - not just chocolate, but strawberry and butterscotch too! Neither of those grab you? How about a milkshake or malt made from scratch. That's right! Real, hand scooped ice cream and one of those fountain type milkshake mixers. Why is this making me happy now? Chick 'n Dip is seasonal and opens on Saturday. Don't bring your debit card because they take cash or local checks only, and they still write up orders on tickets and total them up with nothing more than a hand-held calculator.

2. Anonymous Good Deeds. There is nothing better than knowing I've done something nice for a stranger. You all know about my habit of leaving change in the vending machine for the next person to find. That is one of my favorite ways to do good anonymously. Not only does it have the potential to turn some one's day around, but I never know who got it!

3. Smiles from strangers. It goes hand-in-hand with number 2 (no, not #2, #2 ... but Happy Thing #2!). I try to smile at everyone, and I get immense joy when a stranger returns one of those smiles.

4. Waking Cam up in the morning. He's 13 now. I'm not allowed to spend much public time with him any more, but weekday mornings? Those are mine. I get to gently wake him up by rubbing his back and start his day with positive and encouraging words. I am grateful for each of these mornings as I know the time will come when I'll have to let go of that time as well. For now, he lets me have it (and I think he secretly enjoys it as much as I do).

5. Singing in my car, at the top of my lungs - especially if it's warm enough to have the window rolled down. There is just something about this - knowing that I can sing all of the wrong words and completely out of tune and no one knows ... or even cares. It makes me happy every single time!

6. Spring planting. We're getting close here in the Midwest. The tractors are out tilling the soil, getting it turned over and ready for planting this year's crops (mostly corn and soy beans here). I can drive through farmland for hours, enjoying every sight and every smell. Yes, the smell of freshly turned soil makes me happy!

I've been called simple before, and it was never meant as a compliment. Funny thing is, it's one of my favorite compliments because it really is about finding joy in the little things that makes life's challenges far more manageable! What simple things make you happy?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


24 comments:

M said...

I like this idea! And I like your happy things especially #1, #2(I do the same thing), #5, and #6. I think I miss #6 the most living out here. It's just not quite the same.

Happy Tuesday!!

Real Live Lesbian said...

1. Having friends over for cookouts in the warm afternoons of summer.

2. The Boobie Toobe.

3. Remembering the extra money that I make each month from my 2nd job. Cuz, I forget EVERY month and then BOOM it's like a bonus!

4. Sitting on my sunset porch with a glass of wine and the love of my life.

5. The smell of fresh cut grass.

6. The sounds of my puppies running through the yard.

What a great way to start the morning!

Jay said...

The little ma and pa joints are always the best. The food and the service are always better than national chains.

The planting season means allergy season to me. haha ;-)

buffalodick said...

My favorite saying, and you may have seen or heard this before is: "The key to happiness is to lower your expectations of it".. Being delighted for 3 minutes gives the giver- delight for a lifetime...

Librarian Lee said...

oh! Maybe I should not have abandoned Five Good Things! This was a wonderful post, Dana!

Christo Gonzales said...

A perfectly cooked over easy egg that I didnt cook....makes me elated..its true!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Wonderful things you mentioned here my friend...HAPPY things...

Sorry I missed Cam's birthday

Glad you were surprised by the arrival of Raphael...So glad you are enjoying it...

Dana said...

Fate, I was such an avid TMI-er and I seem to have lost it! So sorry!

Emmy, I think I must have been a farmer in my previous life!

RLL, your happy things made me happy!!

Dana said...

Jay, if you ever head this way, I promise to take you to Chick 'n Dip - it is the BEST!

Buff, it really is the little things, isn't it?

Lee, you can always embrace Five Good Things again!

Dana said...

DB, I'm not at all surprised, but that isn't an easy thing to get, is it? Breakfast at a restaurant is another happy thing for me!

Bond, well ... it's not like you were busy this past week or anything *wink*

JW said...

I've written myself about the simple pleasures - I really do believe that if you can focus on these little things that can bring smiles, the rest is much easier to cope with :)

When I walk along with a big smile on my face for anyone I meet, the reception is about 50/50: people either look at me as if I'm insane, or they grin back. Either is good!

We don't have the tradition of the mom and pop over here in quite the way that you do. On some of my journeys to the States, though, I have been lucky enough to find places like that. I understand that they're dying out rapidly ... one tradition that really shouldn't be allowed to disappear.

bicyclesandblotts said...

I have been lurking here for about a month just thought I would let you know i was here I just started my own blog today added you to my blog list hope you don't mind

Average Chick said...

They are already opening the fields by you?? Wow!

And I could go for some good broasted chicken too...mmmmmm...chicken.....

Volly said...

Yay - glad to help. And Chik-n-Dip sounds great. Ice cream would have been my #7...

;)

Moosekahl said...

I'm on my way...should be able to meet you at Chick 'n Dip by Saturday morning :) I LOVE Broasted chicken and I chew and nibble until all the crunchy skin is off. It's the best part. And I'll finish it off with a butterscotch dipped cone!

Silly question...how are you going to do #2 if you are giving up the vending machine to bring stuff from home ;) Just checkin'

And finally...the smell of fresh tilled soil is one of my favorites. Right up there with fresh cut alfalfa and a wheat field in the fall.

Unknown said...

I love your happy list! And ya know, when my boys were still here, it was the goodnight I loved. Even when they were 17 & 18, they wanted me to come to their room and give them a hug and kiss and they would say, "love you mommy!"

And spring planting. Oh yes, I can SO relate to that!

we're doomed said...

Simple is good!

Thom - - Dr. John said...

Your anonymous good deed is so cool. A simple act of kindness can do so much.

Vixen said...

I like this. :)

Karen said...

I love smiling at stranger too. Specifically, I love when a mom or dad catches me waving or smiling at their child. Despite one blogger who said I was creepy to wave at babies, I have NEVER had a bad reaction from a parent. They are always very proud to have their baby noticed.

Also, I love the friendly wave while driving.

Dana said...

Ro, those fleeting moments, when everything is right, somehow get lost among those moments when things don't. I'm making a choice to focus on the good.

Bicycles, thanks for de-lurking and thank you for linking me. You've been added to my reader.

Average, just the initial plowing, and not all of the farms, but we are getting close!

Dana said...

Volly, you were a HUGE help in more ways than you know!

Moose, I confess, I'm still using the soda vending machine, and I'm still "forgetting" my change!

Bina, I am so ready for spring!!

Dana said...

Doomed, simple is really good!

Jeff, I know there have been times in my day when a small thing has made a powerful difference!

Vixen, I had fun with it!

Karen, I don't think waving at babies is creepy, but then husband does it ALL.THE.TIME!

Dice Mardell said...

•balancing my check book
•paying the rent - every time I do I say (out loud) "I GET TO live here another month", because it could so easily not be the case.
•Sunday morning sunrises
•train whistles, church bells
•mocking birds on a Saturday morning
•any morning I'm NOT working, because it's a weekend or vacation, and can enjoy the early hours and sounds with my coffee

Thanks for the incentive and forum by which I could remind myself of these things.

P.S. Oh yeah, and stopping by your blog on Thursdays!