16 June 2008

Ahhhh, Monday ...

As many of you know, this past week has been a challenging one in my life. It brought to light what is good and what isn't. Yes, the "what isn't" things have been staring me in the face for quite some time and I've been holding on to some unrealistic hope that maybe - just maybe - someone loved me enough to make it all better. I often wonder if I ever listen to the things that people say. I claim to be a good listener, yet am still somewhat surprised when I finally get it - when the words come flooding in and actually make emotional sense. Yes, this week I came to the realization that there is enough love, but that I must quit looking for it from others and find it within myself. How many times have I heard those words? How many times have I acknowledged them without feeling them?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I want to thank those of you stopped by and offered comments this past week. Your kind, funny and sarcastic words offered more comfort than you might imagine. Although taking the laptop earned me a strong scolding, it was the one thing that offered me a bit of sanity and routine during an otherwise chaotic week. A special thanks to Matt-Man for his daily coded messages - I just wish he'd have sent the decoder ring before I left (and it wasn't in the Cracker Jack box)! I mean, just what do you do with "The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain, of my crotch. Watch out for the roosters, and be careful whilst oiling up your epiglottis." other than scratch your head and hope it is good??

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Overall, the kids had a fabulous time this past week and you know what? That's what it is all about - creating memories - good ones for the most part - so that when they stumble upon difficult times, they have something think back on that brings a smile to their face!


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

One last funny vacation story ...

This should come as no surprise as most of the trip was filled with these little comedic challenges. First, road construction in San Antonio is CRAZY! I Googled directions to Dollar Rent-a-Car so that we could return our minivan (don't even get me started) prior to getting on the plane. Guess what? The exit I needed to take was closed due to construction ... and so was the one after that. I had to take an exit, cross my fingers, and hope that I could find my way! Fortunately, I have a fairly good sense of direction and made it there ... eventually.

This, of course, was just the first of many more challenges to come on the return trip. We eventually got to the airport and waited ... and waited ... and waited to check in for the first leg of our flight. I got really snarky with one of the Northwest Airlines employees, but after a few fistfuls of humble pie moments of deep breathing, I went back to the employee and apologized. She was only doing her job and I did not make it easier in that moment.

We finally got checked in and had 25 minutes to get through security and to the gate for our departure to Memphis. We made it with 10 minutes to spare! On the plane, all is well, we are leaving on time and will have no issues with catching our connection in Memphis. Or so it seemed.

Out on the runway, the pilot announces that the plane is too heavy for takeoff. Someone made some sort of calculation error and we will have to spend the next 30 minutes sitting there on the 100+ degree runway, burning off fuel so that we can get off the ground. In the back of my head I'm hoping the same person wasn't tasked with making this calculation. Once in the air, they assure us that we will make our connection.

We land in Memphis with 10 minutes to get from gate B38 to gate B11. Fortunately, Memphis' airport wasn't terribly crowded, nor is it terribly big. We made it, but were the last passengers on the plane. Whew!! Finally headed home.

Great flight - no tornadoes in Chicago - plane arrives on time. Off to the baggage carousel (why do they call it a carousel if I can't ride it?) to pick up our luggage. Bags come out - people pick them up and leave. Pretty soon it's just the six of us staring at an empty carousel that is no longer moving. Remember that short amount of time between flights? Well, our bags decided to stay in Memphis.

We got to spend and extra 30 minutes at the Northwest baggage claim area filling out our "Luggage Irregularity Receipt" - ummmm ... yeah ... that is what they call it when they lose your luggage ... an irregularity!

We eventually made it home and I got to sleep in my own bed. Today is another off day for me - all praises to the 4-day work week gods!! Back to my comforting routine of work and family tomorrow!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

30 comments:

Real Live Lesbian said...

Glad you're home and back in your own bed! There's just something about your bed, isn't there?

As for the love, it's all around you. Don't miss it! ;)

Leighann said...

As fun and relaxing as vacations can be, there's no place like your own bed!

Karen said...

Lost luggage is the worst. I still am waiting on my bag from April 1998 that somehow got lost on the way home from Italy.

Good luck getting back in to the groove of work.

Christo Gonzales said...

these are gonna be great memories - damn can you imagine swimmming with a sea lion? loop 410....right? I lived in SA for a couple years in the early 80's - hated it!

Deech said...

Glad you made it back. Sorry that you were jam packed with activities where I could not buy you your complimentary Margarita...Maybe next time however. I am always hoping!

Flyinfox_SATX

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

ummmm is that why 12 pieces of luggage showed up at my door yesterday??????

Jay said...

There is no feeling in the world worse than the pain one feels while standing at the luggage carousel and realizing that your luggage isn't there. Delta once lost my luggage on a direct flight from San Antonio to Little Rock. A direct flight! How did they do that?? LOL

Anyway, glad your home and had a good trip.

As American as Apple Pie said...

Glad to hear you made it back safe and (mostly) sound.

It's called a carousel b/c it goes round and round, but yeah, I want to ride it too. How fun would that be to come shooting out at the top, slide down to the bottom and then spin?!

Flying makes me emotional (I don't know why) so I probably would have started crying when my luggage didn't show up.

As American as Apple Pie said...

You statement about learning to love yourself resounded very loudly with me. That is what I'm working on with my life coach. It sucks!

Schmoop said...

Glad you're home, and I must say, that is one handsome, passed out man. Cheers Dana!!

Jeff B said...

Wild how the airports can completely disolve a pleasent vacation in one easy step, and to top it all off, charge you through the nose for it.

Glad you back though.

Ken said...

Welcome back Dana! I guess no flooding in your neck of the woods, huh?

boo said...

Welcome Home, Dana. Glad you made it though relatively unscathed! Now that you've made the realization that loving yourself is more powerful than depending on another's love - whatcha gonna do about it? ;0)

Rock on, Sistah - you give me hope for my own future.

Anndi said...

Of course you can ride it! It's not very exciting mind you, but just hop on up there and ride, baby, ride!

I met the luggage fairy once, he was kinda nice yet creepy.

You know, they left your bags in San Antonio (weight thingy), and they're playing with your underwear and trying on your shoes. The video will be on Youtube shortly. Plus, I think Matt-man paid them off to have them send him that cami you wore for HNT...

Dana said...

RLL, I'm learning to let it in, and to know the difference between living in love and living in fear.

Leighann, fun? Maybe. Relaxing? Try living in a house with 14 other people for a week!

Karen, I'm actually looking forward to heading back to work!

Dana said...

DB, 410 loop! Absolutely! But unlike you I'd move there in a heartbeat - in fact, I considered, for a fleeting moment, staying ...

Flyinfox, I could have used the escape and a friendly face. I'm sorry I missed you!

Bond, only 4 of those were ours. Did you do the laundry for me??

Dana said...

Jay, the trip was good in an odd sort of way, but good none-the-less!

Apple, the kids and I were talking about surfing the carousel. I wasn't at all upset about the luggage, it was the least of the problems on this trip. The loving oneself comment ... well ... it finally occurred to me that expecting someone else to love me, when I don't/can't love myself, was a bit hypocritical.

Matt-Man, yeah ... if I could just track that studly man down, but it seems he's from some fictitious town in Ohio!

Dana said...

Jeff, I don't know that I will EVER fly NW Airlines again, nor will I give up a direct flight for a 50% discount.

Micky, no flooding, although it appears we lost power for somewhere between 7 and 31 hours.

Boo(duh), the doing part is difficult. I do know that I cannot keep doing the same thing and expect different results though.

Dana said...

Anndi, I'm just thinking my 6' self might have a difficult time going through those little doors. The luggage fairy isn't like the Burger King guy, is he??

I should have known Matt-Man was behind the luggage fiasco. Shoot, he could have just asked for that cami - I'd have given it to him.

buffalodick said...

Is that Matt-man drinkin' that "Brick of Ricks"? Haven't seen that stuff since sleeping under the overpass...

Anonymous said...

You definitely had an adventure; maybe a new script for the National Lampoon Vacation series.

Lu' said...

Anndi ha ha. I like much more to come home than to go away. Gald you made it back safely.

Unknown said...

Sounds a normal trip on today’s airlines: you know, SNAFU. Aren’t you glad that you didn’t have to pack you vacation memento and were able to wear it home?

Dana said...

Buff, yes ... that's my blog crush Matt-Man, at his finest!

Kannon7, ha! I like that idea,, but only if I can include the flip-flop tantrum!

Lu, Anndi is silly, isn't she??

Dana said...

Nick, I am thrilled that my souvenir was in my "carry on"!

- said...

My sighs & hugs to and with you about the *realizations* of love. I hope this week runs more swiftly 4 U ; )

Welcome back from your vacation (despite the luggage fiasco*adventure) & enjoy the familiarity of bed! That's the best, huh? ; )

none said...

I've been to that dollar rent a car and it is impossible to get to even when the exits are open.

Glad you had a good trip.

g-man said...

Yea. Welcome home !!!

Anndi said...

They both wear tights, don't they... hmmmmm...

Unknown said...

If Matt-Man decides to de-code his code, are you gonna let us know?

And dang, I sure hope you got you luggage back, but there is NOTHING better than being in your own bed, is there? I love vacation, but I am always so ready to get back to my own "stuff".