13 June 2008

Friday Wrap Up

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Thanks to all of you who left such nice comments on my HNT yesterday. Not only do I usually try to respond to everyone's comment - and failed miserably with that yesterday - but I was feeling like it was kind of a half-assed (or is that half breast?) HNT and I don't like to do anything in a mediocre manner. Y'all were quite kind!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I know I've been quite lax in getting around to all of my favorite blogs this week. Again, computer time has been at a premium (people actually expect me to socialize - can you believe it?) and I've had to just skim, often without leaving comments. I feel so ... so ... DIRTY!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Here is the primary reason we came to San Antonio for vacation - the 2008 graduating class of Sandra Day O'Connor High School. My nephew, Kirk, was one of the 794 graduates in this class (the largest graduating class in San Antonio this year). The graduation was held in the Alamodome - kind of nice considering there were 27 of us there watching!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The graduation party was at a great local restaurant called El Chaparral. More TexMex than actual Mexican, but I really enjoy the smoky flavor of true TexMex. The margaritas were flowing (thank goodness) and everyone had a fabulous time.

Especially my nephew (in the center of this photo, my father-in-law is on the left of him and my step-son is on his right) who made quite the haul in graduation gifts. By the way, he'll be attending the University of Texas at San Antonio in the fall where he'll be majoring in Mechanical Engineering.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

We did have one little mishap. As I expected, this guy ... ummmm ... my husband (who appears to be having so much fun teaching his cousin how to juggle) was acting like a pissy three year old just two hours before this photo was taken. Why you ask?


Well, the cleaning people came to my Sister-in-law's house earlier in the day and we needed to get everything off of the floor. I put hub's flip-flops on a shelf in the den so they wouldn't get lost amongst everything else. Silly me forgot to put them back where they belonged before leaving the house to help SIL set up for the graduation party. Apparently, all hell broke lose when it was time for the rest of the family to meet us the and the flip-flops couldn't be found.


The ensuing temper-tantrum resulted a lot of yelling and screaming, eight kids frantically searching for said flip-flops, hubs throwing the rental car keys at step-son, and hubs refusal to attend nephew's graduation party. Now mind you, he did have sneakers handy, but the damn flip-flops were the end all be all.

When the kids got to the party and explained what happened, I called hubs - who of course refused to answer the phone - to let him know where his precious flip-flops were. I had to actually leave the party, go to SIL's house, and scold beg for hubs forgiveness for not putting the flip-flops back where they belonged. With much sighing and rolling of the eyes, he agreed to act human come to the graduation party. Can't have vacation without a little drama now, can we??

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Today we are headed back to Sea World so the kids can attend a Sea Lion encounter (they'll be swimming with the Sea Lions). I should have TONS of great photos and might even get wet for y'all again *giggle*

Tomorrow afternoon we head back home ...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

26 comments:

Unknown said...

Definitely pissy 3 year old who missed their nap! Geez. Over flip flops?

And I have NEVER heard of a graduating class that big! Holy crap! My whole school was less than that! But I do know a girl who graudated with 27 people. I graudated with 164.

I bet he got some good CASH gifts as well, huh?

And how cool. Swimming with Sea Lions?????

buffalodick said...

Sorry I haven't commented- I thought you were on a vacation! Looks like you managed to have a little fun....
Sorry, but your husband sounds like a real dick...

g-man said...

Wow, that is a huge class!

Sorry about having to deal with the 3 YO.

Have fun with the sea lions, I look forward to your pictures!

Anonymous said...

lol..over flip flops??!

Ya'll be careful coming back home, Dana

Real Live Lesbian said...

Please, you must stop coddling the toddler. It just makes him worse.

I agree...over flip flops?

He seriously needs to grow up.

YOU have fun in spite of him. Take pics and get wet! Tell me that you are swimming with the Sea Lions, too!

Dana said...

Bina, I thought my graduating class of 503 was big - I was amazed at how large his class was.

Buff, I can pretty much expect at least one of these ridiculous outbursts whenever we are on vacation - I'm just hoping we make it through the rest of our time here without another. And yes, he can be a real dick!

G-Man, and here I thought all of the kids were well past the toddler years *rolls eyes*

Dana said...

Slick, I'd love to tell you it wasn't so, but unfortunately ...

RLL, trust me - had it not been for my nephew I'd have left his tantruming ass at SIL's. Unfortunately, I will not be swimming with the Sea Lions :(

Schmoop said...

Egads....Get over the footwear issue...Go barefooted, if you have to. I wish the biggest concern in my life was that I couldn't find my flip-flops. Congrats to the Class of 2008!! Cheers Gorgeous!!

Nicey said...

A nice post for HNT day !! very nice as I am defo a breast man.

You guys don't do tings by half measure on the graduation front do ya ? thats some session !

Your husband needs to reset himself and grow up.

Take care have a good weekend

Nicey

Dana said...

Matt-Man, no kidding, huh?? Amazing that a $3 pair of flip-flopss could send someone over the edge!

Nicey, hubs is going to need to find a new "mommy" soon - I am quite tired of having another child in the house!

Jay said...

I would totally go vacationing with you Dana. But your husband is not invited. ;-)

Leighann said...

It's too bad the pic you posted of him the other day in the pool, wasn't of him drowning! *giggle*

Acrimony said...

I would say it shocks me your husband would act that way over flip-flops BUT it doesn't. Sorry he's being typical. :(

Anonymous said...

He sounds like such a child. Even my little ones would get over not wearing their fav shoes w/o much drama.

I think he should have just put his sneakers on and STFU. :D

Congrats to your nephew and LOVE FIL's mustache! That's priceless.

tt said...

well, at least he won't ever be known as a passive/agressive person...he's just agressive...and controling and....I'll stop now..sorry Dana. I'm sure he can be a nice guy but i think you deserve better.
Glad you're having a good time though. More pictures please ;)

Deech said...

Dana,

Sorry I am late posting. I am also sorry that we didn't get the opportunity to get together. I guess this Karma stating that the own-ness is on me when I go visit your neck of the woods.

I do hope you had a good time here in SA. You certainly had the HOT weather for it. If I do not reach you beforehand...have a safe trip back!

Flyinfox_SATX

Christo Gonzales said...

well looks like everyone pretty much summed it up....maybe he needs a timeout....I am totally holding back from the onslaught of things I could say....

As American as Apple Pie said...

Everyone else has pretty much said whatever I would say so I'll just say I hope the rest of your trip is uneventful!

Lu' said...

Very nice of you to think of your Nephew. Sucks when you can't just let a cranky pants be an ass because you have others to consider. Maybe some Sunday secret will have those same flip flops in the friggin TRASH.

boo said...

Dana, you can treat me dirty any time!

As for your husband - for the love of Nixon! You're kidding, right? What a baby.

Dana said...

Jay, you only say that because I frequently get wet on vacation - I know your type *wink*

Leighann, had he gotten in the lazy river yesterday there may have been body parts floating - just sayin'

Tali, I think the fact that this is typical behavior is most disturbing.

Dana said...

FF, I wouldn't allow my children to throw such a fit over flip-flops!

tt, I'm almost embarassed to admit that I seldom see the "nice guy" any longer.

Flyinfox, I would have welcomed the opportunity to get together, unfortunately most of this vacation time was planned. It wasn't the take it as it comes variety, and unfortunately, that made for very little free time.

Dana said...

DB, I know - I think everyone held back when responding to this post. Funny how things can get so far out of wack that you don't even see it any longer. This fit wasn't out of character for him at all.

Apple, we've got to get through the airport today, and catch a cab home. We'll see ...

Lu, I do believe those flip-flops will mysteriously disappear soon!

Dana said...

Boo(duh), oh how I wish I were kidding!

Lu' said...

Hmm is he so cranky that he wouldn't notice if one were up his butt? Ooh maybe, with a little help from a razor blade they could get a little help in "wearing out" HA!

Unknown said...

That’s quite a graduating class! My sincere congratulations and blessings to Kirk!