27 February 2009

Friday Wrap-Up

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

You can thank Jay for the change to full Reader view. His little tirade public service announcement regarding blogging pet-peeves got me to quit procrastinating and figure out where that damn setting was in Blogger. You're welcome Jay! You know I'd do anything for you!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

My Positively Going? Or Going Positive? post generated quite a few blog recommendations and I wanted you all to know that I've really enjoyed exploring them . I've noticed it's quite easy to get kind of "stuck" in a circle of blogs and although the friendships developed are wonderful, I think it's good to step out of that comfort zone too.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Cam's schedule change seems to be going better, but I'm keeping a close eye on things. Call me cynical, but I don't trust the public school system. There are times when I wish I had never done my senior thesis on Special Education in Illinois, and others where I think it was the best thing I could have done.

I did get clarification on the "supported" classroom population - according to an email from the school, "In all the classes Cam is in there are less than 30% of other students with IEPs. The exact number ranges from three other students with IEPs to six. There are no students with identified behavior disorders."

Just for the record, 30% is the State's magical number - a classroom with over 30% special education population is no longer a "supported" class, but rather a designated special education class.

There is still a bit of an anomaly though - in a school with a 25% minority population, Cam's "supported" classes have anywhere from a 40%, to a 75%, minority distribution, and are at least 60% male. I'm not screaming racism or gender bias yet, but I am looking at the possibility.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The response to my HNT yesterday was quite surprising - it even made Vixen's Friday Favorites (quite an HNT honor). Although I thoroughly enjoy the "series" photos that many HNT-ers post, I take great pride in coming up with something new and creative each week. I really did struggle with, "Do I post this leftover photo, or do I just bow out this week?" What? My thinking is a bit black and white? You say there is room for gray in there? Well ... maybe ... *wink*

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

We've got a monumental event to celebrate this weekend - Cam turns THIRTEEN on Sunday. My little Boo Bear? Thirteen? ARGGGG! How did that happen? Sure, this is a right to passage for him, but there is an even bigger issue here - having a teenager makes me ... well ... OLD! I'll have to post some embarrassing cute baby photos of him to make me feel better!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

15 comments:

Real Live Lesbian said...

Happy Birthday to Cam! THIRTEEN!??? Boo Bear's growin' up.

Congrats on making Vixen's list. Big honor, there. Lots of sexy at her place on Fridays!

Unknown said...

First of all, you have GOT tell me how to do the full reader view.

Wow. Cam is just 13? He looks like he is 17, but you always said he was big for his age. Now the fun really starts, huh?

I think it's an extremely good thing that you have the education you do. Without it, you may not be able to help Cam as much, because the school would try to bullshit you all the time.

Nolens Volens said...

Oh shit! There goes the world...he becomes a teenager! ;) Thanks for your honest comment...I truly appreciated that.

Vixen said...

Thirteen?! Ack! ;) I hope he has a great Birthday!

I like to click avatars of people I've never visited their blogs when reading others comments, I've found some interesting people/blogs that way. :)

Have a great wkend!

Richard said...

You have to keep in mind Dana that "special ed" is a cash cow for schools. the more children that they can classify for special ed, the more !big bucks they get.
Sometimes I wonder how many really need social ed.

Jormengrund said...

So the man turns 13..

Just think..

Two more years, and he'll be seriously jonesing for your car keys!

Happy Birthday Cam!

Anonymous said...

And so it begins...the TEEN years. It will be rewarding even as it is aggravating. Watching him become a man and watching him make his first manly mistakes. I've been through 13 year old boy territory 3 times so far and trust me, things will be a changin' (mostly in a good way) I truly hope that your Hub steps up to the plate for this as Cam will need a good male role model. Also glad to know that things are looking up for him school-wise. He owes that to your education and diligence. Well done, Mom!!
Happy birtday Cam!
FMD

we're doomed said...

Happy birthday to Cam.

Dana said...

RLL, I am always amazed to find myself on Vixen's list!

Bina, yeah ... he's now 6'-1", 220 lbs and wearing a size 14 shoe! But still 12 for another 2 days!

NV, I brought him in to this world, I can still take him out *wink*

Dana said...

Vixen, I used to click on new visitors frequently, but I must admit I've been in a bit of a rut lately.

Richard, I am quite familiar with the additional $9,000/year the school is now getting for Cam. You can bet that I will make sure he gets every penny of it!

Jorm, I'm in denial - he'll be happy riding his bike until he's 30!

Dana said...

FMD, I just don't think the relationship between husband and Cam will ever get much better, but we are finding some great male role models through church these days!

Doomed, thank you!

kim-d said...

I think I'm losing my mind...I remember typing a comment but it's not here. So, let me try this again because, really, how could you go a whole weekend without my words? BWAHAHAHA! Seriously...

HAPPY, HAPPY 13TH BIRHDAY, CAM! I hope your first teen year is a very happy one.

It's a good thing you know your way around the school system, Dana; Cam's really fortunate to have you, because I think they will try to steamroll parents when they think they can.

Have a great weekend, and I can't wait for the Baby Boo Bear pix. ;)

Jay said...

Happy 13th to Cam!

Good job falling into line on my blogging rules. haha ;-)

Lu' said...

Happy Birthday Boo Bear! Remember to breathe Momma Bear :)

Just Me said...

Happy Birthday Cam!! They grow up so fast. Funny, I always thought Cam was older than my son. Guess it was the size that fooled me.

Hope things get better with school. Some schools can railroad. You just have to stand strong. You have the final say. Nothing can be aproved without your final say.

We have our IEP meeting soon. This time son sits in. I am looking forward to his input.