23 February 2009

Awards and Eats

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Let's start with the awards, shall we? Not that I'm anal retentive or anything, but I feel a strong nagging need desire to tackle these topics alphabetically.

This award was given to me by Another Suburban Mom. ASM said, "Always honest and thought provoking. One day her blog makes me *gigglesnort* the next day it makes me want to fly out to her neck of the woods and hug her. Never disappointing."

I have this weird little quirk where, as I read, I try to guess what the sentence will say before I finish reading it. As I was reading the last sentence of ASM's description of my blog, I just knew it was going to say, "One day her blog makes me *gigglesnort* the next day it makes me want to fly out to her neck of the woods and beat her senseless." Ha! I was wrong! Imagine that. Please note the cute puppies on this award as it's likely the only time you'll see such an "AWWWW" picture on this blog!

Then, on Sunday, ASM gave me another award. Personally, I think this was her way of cyber slapping me up along side the head while saying, "Jane, you ignorant slut Dana, my dear friend! Accept the damn awards, would you?!"

Of course, this wasn't the official verbiage of the award. The official statement read, "These blogs are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated.”

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth ... KIDDING! Actually, I am quite flattered to receive both of these awards, especially from ASM who is one of my very favorite "Not-quite-a-mommy-blogger" bloggers!

There are, of course, rules and requirements for these awards. ASM is really good at obeying following the rules, I am not, but I do want to sincerely thank her for being a regular and appreciative reader!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

You might remember a few weeks ago I mentioned winning a one-year subscription to the meal planning website Relish! I have been diligently using that subscription and absolutely *love* it! I find that, with a specific list and plan, not only do I save time and money while grocery shopping, but we have far fewer leftovers.

There has been one "down" side. My family had become so accustomed to "processed" foods (i.e. frozen and prepackaged meals) that there has been a bit of an adjustment to the flavors and combination of fresh, innovative foods. What's surprising is that the resistance has not been from husband.

An example? I made a spinach salad with an oriental flair (oranges, avocados, radishes and a sesame oil/soy sauce dressing) that Cam was not at all thrilled about - he spent 37 minutes trying to gag down get down four bites. Yes, I'm an evil mother - I made him eat the salad first. He was so traumatized that he just couldn't eat anything else after that!

I thought I'd share one of the more "traditional" meals that was on my plan this past week - Calico Bean Soup (or, if you live in Minnesota, Lutheran Bean Hot Dish) and Homemade Cornbread.


Calico Bean Soup
Prep time: 30 minutes

6 bacon slices, chopped
1 pound ground beef
1/2 yellow onion , chopped
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 16-ounce can Bush's baked beans
2 15-ounce cans butter beans, rinsed and drained

~ In a large stockpot, over medium heat, combine bacon, beef and onion and saute until cooked through. Add ketchup, salt, brown sugar, mustard and vinegar and mix well.
~ Add baked beans and butter beans and stir well into mixture. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through and serve.

per serving (recipe makes 4 servings): 389 calories; 20 grams protein; 14 grams total fat; 6 grams fiber;5 grams saturated fat; 45 grams carbohydrates; 48 mgs cholesterol; 910 mgs sodium


Homemade Cornbread
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time; 25 minutes

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup plain yogurt
2 large eggs

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

~ In a bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, soda, and salt. Add yogurt and eggs and mix just until blended. Pour into a buttered 8-inch to 9-inch square or round pan.
~ Bake until bread springs back when gently pressed in center, 20 to 25 minutes. Cut in squares or wedges. Serve warm.

per serving: 181 calories; 6 grams protein; 3 grams total fat; 2 grams fiber; 1 gram saturated fat; 33 grams carbohydrates; 57 mgs cholesterol; 411 mgs sodium

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

18 comments:

Hubman said...

Mmm, that soup looks good!

Isn't my wife a persistent pain in the ass? You should try living with her... *wink*

Happy Monday (if there is such a thing...)

we're doomed said...

Looks like a great recipe. Perhaps we will try it out. My recipe for corn bread is one box of Jiffy corn bread mix and one box of Jiffy yellow cake mix. Mix separately and then combine. Pour in your favorite corn bread pan and bake at Jiffy corn bread temperature until done. I am a simple fellow with corn bread.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh Dana. That bean and cornbread dish sounds wonderful! I'm gonna print that out and try it. Thanks for sharing it!

And yea, I can see how a teenager would have trouble with the salad. They just don't like to eat healthy.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

YUMMO on the food...I am going to try this one...as far as the awards...you are so damn cute...barf

heheheheheheh

Vixen said...

You lost me at bacon.... ;)

Congrats on the awards!

Jay said...

Both the soup and the salad sound pretty good. But, hold the avacadoooos please. I'm allergic to them. ;-)

Real Live Lesbian said...

I'm moving in. I love cornbread! ;)

Dana said...

Hubman, ummmm ... I didn't say that!

Doomed, I think your cornbread sounds far yummier than mine, but I think mine might be just a bit more healthy!

Bina, it's really easy and really good!

Jennybean said...

yep... that hotdish has seen many a church basement...

g-man said...

A is for anal. :) Retentive is what I meant, but was thinking the other ;)

Those dishes sound really good. We have taken to using a prepared food approach. My wife and friends go drink wine and make a bunch of meals, then freeze said meals for so easy to prepare even this husband can do it. :)

Dana said...

Bond, it really is a great, easy dinner!

Vixen, I'll post the vegetarian dishes on occasion as well. We actually had a cheese manicotti last week that was to die for! I do just 2 or 3 meat containing meals a week.

Jay, *note to self* Do not bring guacamole to Jay's party!

Dana said...

RLL, can *I* move in instead?

Jennybean, I knew someone would know this one!

G-man, I've considered the freezer meal program, but I need to find some wine drinking friends!

kim-d said...

HA! "Jane, you ignorant slut." Belly laugh*snort. Those were the good days of SNL!

Being your resident Minnesotan, I started salivating the minute I saw your Calico Beans!!! Freakin' NUM; I love those; and they are the absolute best when served with cornbread. Additionally, your salad also sounds scrumptious. Hopefully, Cam's taste buds will come arouund so he doesn't miss out on too much of the good stuff!

And congrats on the awards; very much deserved.

Thom - - Dr. John said...

OK Betty Crocker, what have you done with Dana?

UzzyB said...

Sadly I recognized those beans too. Being Lutheran and spend much time in Northern Iowa with the Swedes and Norwegians, they love it. It was the only colour at one of the dinner's I attended.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the awards. :)

The meal looks yummy. I love different kinds of beans. My husband though is a picky ass. He only likes pintos. And lately, my kids don't like *anything*. Ugh.

Real Live Lesbian said...

I know that whatever has to happen...

will happen. Because you will make it happen. It's obvious how much you love your son and are willing to do anything to secure his success.

Hang in there. ;)

rage said...

I think it's nice that ASM shows such love for you.