06 February 2009

Friday Wrap-Up

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I read a variety of blogs - some of them might just surprise you! I actually enjoy one called Steals & Deals. It's written by Mandy and Abby and is a bargain shopper's dream! There are several posts daily (just a *warning*, many are geared towards kids), but with all of us paying a little more attention to our finances, blogs like these can be invaluable! Mandy and Abby also post many giveaways. Now, I'm not a greedy blogger - I don't submit my name for anything and everything - but when something catches my eye I always try my luck. My luck paid off this week!


There was a giveaway this week for a one-year subscription to Relish! - a weekly menu planning service - and I won! My first week of meals (you choose five from a list of 15) included:
  • Sour Cream and Bacon Chicken, Spinach Salad with Chopped Apples
  • Spaghetti Pie, Romaine With Creamy Garlic Dressing
  • Pork and Onions with Orange Glaze, Roasted Cauliflower with Paprika
  • Grilled Sausages in Pitas, Skillet Corn
  • Pistachio-Stuffed Chicken Breasts, New Potatoes in Lemon Parsley Sauce

*EDIT* For those of you who prefer vegetarian meals, they always have at least 5 of those and they offer "kid friendly" options as well!

Not only does
Relish! print out the recipes, but it gives you a shopping list (arranged by aisles). This should really help out in my menu planning. If you want to give it a shot, a subscription is only $7/month. I'll let y'all know how it works out.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

One of these days I’ll actually heed the advice of one of my favorite blogger friends (I hope his ears are burning) who has told me - more than once - that I might want to rethink my position on being so open with information regarding my marriage. I struggle with what is the “right” thing for me to do (because this blog is all about me, not “we”). Do I continue to give honest updates in an attempt to make my reality concrete through words, at the same time letting others know they aren’t alone in their struggles with similar circumstances (my primary motivators for continuing to put myself out there, contrary to those who have suggested my motivators might be nothing more than a desire for a grandiose pity party) or do I take the “safe” path and wait until I can report absolute, measurable progress to avoid looking like the self-absorbed, wishy-washy idiot that I can sometimes be?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Wednesday’s post on friendship gave me just as much insight in to those of you who left comments as it did in to my own friendship struggles. I am so fortunate to have readers who comment frequently and feel they can be (mostly) honest with what they say. What I saw in your comments Wednesday was that friendships – like any other relationship – are based not on the needs of others, but on our own needs. Each of us has a different criterion for what constitutes a good friend, and we (hopefully) seek out those types of people for friendship. Respect for differing opinions and tolerance of what we see as undesirable traits are not the cornerstones of friendship – honesty, making a connection, “getting” the other person and showing compassion and empathy, even when friends make decisions you disagree with are far better measures of friendships. Guess what? I have far more friends than I gave myself credit for! And y’all make me smile every day!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

For the record, yesterday’s HNT was not a political statement, although I kind of wish I had noticed where I was on the globe and made it one *wink* It’s interesting to see who stops by on Thursdays, leaving a comment, when I’m not flashing tits and ass taking HNT back to a time when it was less of a sex/infidelity blogger playground (not that I don’t enjoy oogling viewing those HNTs) and more of a place for thoughtful interpretation of feelings and emotions through photography. I certainly get far more “Happy HNT” comments! Honestly? The “retro” HNT’s are far more difficult for me to compose than the literally half-nekkid shots are. I like the challenge and will continue to do them the first Thursday of each month. Is there anyone else out there looking for an HNT challenge that wants to join me? Hubman actually went there yesterday – Moose has been a mentor for me – and the father of HNT (not to worry, I have paternity results that prove – to 99.87% certainty - that he is, indeed, the father) does it every week!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

22 comments:

we're doomed said...

You have given us a very thought provoking post. Thanks!

Biscuit said...

YES! Yes yes yes! Thank you so much for extending the invitation. HNT has become such a struggle for me in many ways, and this will help so much.

Regarding your marriage, you say some things that many people wish they could. Not only is it an outlet for you, but perhaps for them, too. I'm not trying to sway you, and you should definitely do what you need to to protect yourself from whatever negativity you may be experiencing.

I do adore you, Dana!

Hubman said...

I'll join you! I'll post a 'retro HNT' once every month.

Damn, I need to go back and read your post on Wednesday- freakin' real life keeping me from my favorite blogs. WTF?

Lu' said...

Nicely done wrap up Dana. I sure do like the way you write. So easy to read. Your words flow effortlessly.

tt said...

you used my favorite word...empathy. If everyone practiced the meaning of that word..we'd be in grat shape everywhere!
You're awesome gal!...and funny to boot! ha

Real Live Lesbian said...

Congrats on the win! Now you just need a personal chef! :)

I loved the retro HNT! Not that I don't like the T&A...

Dana said...

Doomed, thank goodness I can organize those thoughts in my writing because they create chaos in my head!

Biscuit, you will?? Really?? Cool! I just get caught up in what I see as a "competition" sometimes and that wasn't why I got involved in HNT. And sweetie? I adore YOU!

Hubman, WooHoo!! Another convert! You know, maybe if you read your favorite blogs regularly you wouldn't find yourself in such a pissy mood *wink*

Big Kahuna said...

Dana - Both Babushka and I adore you and are inspire by the bravery you display here.

Speaking for myself:
- The Pistachio-Stuffed Chicken Breasts, New Potatoes in Lemon Parsley Sauce sounds delicious - Congrats!!!

- Speaking from personal experience a few years ago. I read blogs during the last couple years of my marriage. I simply wanted to know if I was all alone in my unhappiness and confusion (I was not). It was a tremendous comfort to me, although I did not have the courage to comment or post on them. Your honesty helps more people than you would suspect. Even so, this is your blog and you should post (or not post) as you desire. Do not worry about how you 'look' to others - that is there issue.

Like your HNT observation - although babushka and I have not participated lately that is more a function of timing but you bring a great point of retro vs. nekkid. I believe both serve a purpose and are enjoyable, even better when both are combined with a touch of artistry, such as your HNT Archives photo link. Biscuit is also amazing at this type of artistic presentation - I am jealous of you both :-)

Boy - Long response. Hope you and Cam have a great weekend!!

Nicey said...

Well I have really tried to be honest but I am now at a sticky part as the 2 woman know about my blog (big mistake) I love your honesty and I will try to take your lead, I don't even know any of ya but still think that I do IYSWIM
Laters

Nicey

Jormengrund said...

As I've learned, it might be better to leave ambiguous statements about marriage out there, instead of going into any kind of specifics about problems in the home..

Loved the post, the thoughs behind it are very valid, and give someone quite a bit to think on.

Have a great weekend Dana!

Karl said...

Good Morning Dana,

Had I stopped by yesterday I probably would've left a comment. If I stop by on Thursdays. I generally try to make the comment, just to thank you for your efforts, regardless of the content.

Although I'm not sure I would've considered it political, unless of course you're going to make a Sarah Palin joke, because from that angle you are likely to be looking at Alaska.

Jay said...

Instead of a weekly meal planner I'm looking for more of a weekly meal fixer. I'm a good cook, but don't really like doing it much. Nor do I like going to the grocery store. So, if I could get all my meals delivered to me it would be nice.

I don't follow that many HNT blogs, but I have noticed over the last I don't know how long, a lot of the pics have gone from sexy/erotic types to straight up in your face nakedness.

Not that there's anything wrong with nakedness. But, it doesn't leave much to the imagination and it's not all that creative sometimes.

Not talking about YOU of course. You rock! ;-)

katherine. said...

It seems what you write strikes a chord with MANY readers....maybe not the same chord you are playing...but still.

Why should it matter to anyone else why you are writing it? This is your weblog...no one is forced to read it. Write what you want to...for whatever reason you want.

(I'd be worried someone would stumble across it and show your husband....but you know what the risks are...)

Osbasso said...

Only 99.87% certainty???

g-man said...

Congrats on the fine grub :)

I only follow a few for HNT and of them/you all seem to keep with the spirit of the thing, that artful display of human form.

Nolens Volens said...

I'm glad that you're able to divine wisdomw/experience/caring from us readers...because it works the other way around for me as well. I get to learn from others. Thanks for sharing.

Dana said...

Lu, thank you! That is quite a wonderful compliment!

tt, empathy is a wonderful thing! Far better than sympathy and pity. I'm getting better at practicing it, but it does take some practice.

RLL, I *am* the personal chef, you silly!

Dana said...

Kahuna, well, you know I have a special place in my heart for you and Babushka - for many of the same reasons.

Nicey, I have managed to keep my blog out of my personal life. I know far too many people who told just one person and pretty soon they had all kinds of readers who limited what they could write. I don't want to go there.

Jorm, and your situation is a bit different than mine as you were honest with your wife about writing the blog. Trust me, if I knew that family was reading my blog it would look very different than it does!

Kiezie said...

Great post, and congrats on the win!! How cool!!

kim-d said...

Hey, good for you on the win of the menu planning service! Your menus sound delish.

I could really relate to what you said about the things you write about your marriage here. I don't have a marriage to spill about, but I do talk a lot about what is going on in my head. I've wondered if I share too much, but then I remember that is the point! It's always been very hard for me to be anything other than hap-hap-happy since I have a fear that if I'm not, no one will like me. So, for me, spilling on my blog is all part of my process. It's helping me and I'm sticking with it--good, bad, whatever. This is your blog, and you get to write about whatever you want.

I'm glad that you got it that you have friends and people who really like you and care about you; feels good, doesn't it? Compassion and empathy; those two things are key, I think!

I don't know much about the background of HNT, but I do know that I really admire any and everybody who participates. All of it that I see is so beautifully artistic. I don't know much about photography, but I do know that there are some talented HNT photographers. I like nekkidness of all kinds; when it is photographed in an interesting way, it's even better. I, however, would never, ever have the courage to do it, not even years ago on my best body day! :)

So, my hat is off to all HNTers. I really liked the globe one, Dana, especially with the black, stark background. I even clicked just because I wanted to see the bigger globe...HA! It's all good to me!

Gosh, enough with this comment!!!

Moosekahl said...

I don't know what kind of mentor I make but thank you! The globe picture this week was awesome. hope you are having a great weekend. I'm having some much needed time at home this weekend...I think I needed it this week.

Vixen said...

Obviously you should (and will, bc I know you somewhat, lol) write about and share what you feel comfortable with. And you might be judged for your choice in doing so, you often are. But I feel most of us blog for an outlet. I know my other blog was that source for me. And it didn't paint my ex in a pretty light and I had quite a bit of negative feedback (much of the same I see you get here) and when he discovered my blog only a couple months into it, it did suck. But I kept it up bc I had to. It was what kept me sane. Being able to get it (the crap) off my chest every day.

It was me. Being real. And I feel like that is what you do here as well.

Tangent over. Sorry. :P