04 April 2009

I'm all a-Twitter

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It was just over a week ago that I was denouncing that social Mecca known as Twitter. I praised those commentors who used words like narcissistic and self-absorbed, and mocked Jay and Karen for their participation in such a silly thing, calling them Twitterphiles and Twutzs. Then, I challenged myself to a week of Twitter – without reserve – without judgment. That, my dear readers, was the beginning of the end.

Sure, I was skeptical. I imagined (because I had nothing but my imagination to rely on) that Twitter was nothing more than self-touting, self-centered bits of nonsense scattered randomly throughout the day. I wondered how two seemingly normal readers (Jay and Karen – I’m not so sure about the rest of you) could possibly get caught up in such foolishness. I mean, I read their blogs and see none of the classic narcissistic traits. What could they possibly see in Twitter?

I logged on and started my quest for enlightenment. I un-followed anyone I didn’t know (I had reciprocated following anyone who followed me – BIG mistake) and typed with baited apprehension. With only a handful of tweets under my belt, I was unfamiliar with twetiquette (and you all know how I am about good manners). I had to ask Jay what RT and # were – he pointed me to a Twitter wiki *gasp* I used the word cleavage and wondered if I’d earn an adult content label. There was definitely a learning curve.

About three days into the twexperiment, I discovered I was having fun! This wasn’t people talking about themselves, but more like some sort of hybrid IM thing. I could talk to people without having to be there real time. I could get motivational quotes, local news updates and crafting ideas in one place. I could let RLL know that Pioneer Woman was having a KitchenAid Mixer giveaway. I could let Karen know that thoughts and prayers were with her when she was on her way to surgery. Yes … in just seven days I was obsessed hooked.

I am beyond shamed. Not only have I discovered that Twitter – like so many other things in life – is all about what you do with what you are given, but I now must admit – publicly - that I was wr … wr … wro … WRONG! OK! There! I said it! I was W-R-O-N-G … WRONG!

Is it possible that there are tons of narcissistic people out there talking about themselves in 140 characters or less? I’d say it’s not only possible, but highly likely. But you know what? I don’t have to follow those people. I am quite happy with the 35 twits tweets that I am following, and I feel just a bit more intimate with every one of them than I did when they were “just” bloggers.

One thing though … don’t let me write a post badmouthing FaceBook, OK? I really don’t feel like eating my words … again!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

25 comments:

we're doomed said...

You are a "sick" woman.

Leonhart said...

This all reads like the end of the world to me.

The age of couples sat in restaurants, texting other people on their phones and not talking to each other is over.

It's been replaced by twittering.

Another wall between intelligence and mindlessness got knocked down. It's the end of the world!

Schmoop said...

I have signed up but have yet to really use it. I'm so Amish. Cheers!!

Hubman said...

I tried it. Back in Dec I got an invite (from another Blogger, no less) so I joined up. It lasted about a month, I think I 'tweeted' or whatever you call it about 3 times and I deleted my account.

May god help you in your time of weakness ;-)

Dana said...

Doomed, you had better be careful with what you say! I've got a secret!! *wink*

Leonhart, maybe not the end of the worl, but it's close ... very, VERY close!

Matt-Man, get your cyber Amish self over there so that I have a reason to delete my Twitter account. I need an intervention!! *grin*

UzzyB said...

twitter is just the last in a long line of near instantaneous comminucation. The next step is chip in our head to communicate directly with each other.
Dana you are the first person I personally know that tweets and I work around a lot of tech folks.

buffalodick said...

Everybody gets a different deal- go for it!

Lu' said...

I know of twitter but I don't tweet. I am glad you are having fun. We all need a little fun in our lives and I don't care where it comes from. Have a good weekend Dana, Cam and hubby too :)

Dana said...

Hubman, I'm not sure what the difference was for me this time - maybe my expectations?

Uzzy, I think I actually am drawn to the fact that twitter is NOT instantaneous, and can give me access to all sorts of information (news, etc.) in one spot.

Buff, yes, everyone does!

Anonymous said...

I love it Dana, I have been on it for awhile YET, I just started using it more and I have fun Chatting back and forth with all you guys!! hahahahah!! You are a HOT mess and I LOVE IT!

we're doomed said...

Dana, Twitter is like marijuana. It is a gateway drug. Before you know it, you will be shooting up the Twitter equivalant of heroin. I feel like I have had this conversation before. "wink"

Jay said...

It's not my style to say "I told you so" but ... I told you so. LOL!

I get a kick out of people being so dismissive of Twitter. They're basically the "I'm so much cooler than everyone else sitting here in a coffee shop on my MacBook sneering at everyone who likes or enjoys anything popular" type of arrogance.

Not that anyone HERE is that way, of course. ;-)

Twitter, just like blogs or Facebook or Myspace or whatever else is out there, is just another way to connect with people. And you can be as connected as you want to be. Its very cool.

Anonymous said...

Dammit, Dana...I felt the same way, ALMOST started that tweet thing--Jay had me on the verge about a month ago and then something came up and I was able to dodge it...caaah---rap. lol

fine.
****googling how to tweet without a huge learning curve of stupidities...****

I am waaaaaaay good at that.

Dana said...

Lu, yes - we all do need a little fun! Hope you are mending quickly!

Ne, it is fun, andnot as time consuming as I imagined.

Doomed, so ... how long before I see you there?

Dana said...

Jay, I'll admit - I bought into the "It's all narcissistic babble" views - without really giving it a chance. There is great information available - it's just a matter of sorting through it!

Hope, welcome to the Dark Side!

katherine. said...

resistance is futile....you will be assimilated.

My gchat is open most of the day...so I am accessible to family and a few friends....I have yet to Tweet.

Amish. laughing

Deb said...

That's wonderful that you at least gave it a chance. See, I always get upset with some of my friends who say, "I hate sushi, ewww", but have yet to try it. I'm very impressed that you tried at least, before making a harsh criticism about it. Kudos to you!

For me, I love getting tweets from Christian sites that give me edifying and positive messages throughout the day on my BlackBerry and I love news from your everyday Joe or Jane, because their sources are from different medias, and I like hearing or reading news that people prefer.

Personal tweets are ok, but in my opinion, if I don't know you personally, at least spruce it up with comedy or something entertaining.

But yeah, you're absolutely right, it's a great way of the non-real time to communicate with others. Twitter is the biggest trend right now, especially if you are promoting your blog, however make sure you're also promoting "yourself" and ideas that are so interesting.

Again, kudos for trying!!!

Osbasso said...

I'm so disappointed. I would have assumed you were stronger than this. May God help you. :-P

Librarian Lee said...

crap - you never told me about a mixer give away!

Dana said...

Kat, I'm kind of a multitasker and have not figured out how to chat with more than a single person while still giving each discussion my full attention. Twitter allows me to keep in touch with multiple people/events without feeling guilty.

Deb, I've got a few motivational quotes that I follow, along with local news. Those tweets are every bit as enjoyable as the ones from friends.

Os, I am weak ... someone needs to help me!

Dana said...

Lee, Oops! I'll do better next time!

Anonymous said...

I keep leaving and the rejoining twitter, I hate it, it hates me - we get along just fine.

Real Live Lesbian said...

I'm still feeling kinda twee-tarded about the whole thing. But I'm tryin'!

Thanks again for the heads up on PW giveaway. Sadly, I didn't win.

Unknown said...

Well. God knows I don't need to get addicted to anything else, at all! But I keep hearing about this and just may need to check it out.

katherine. said...

just pointing out that if you do not like dana....let alone not adoring dana....why would one come here at all....