12 April 2009

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and ReStore

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


I know most people are familiar with Habitat for Humanity, but how many of you are familiar with the Habitat for Humanity ReStores?

I had driven by the ReStore in our area several times. I assumed it was some type of warehouse for Habitat for Humanity projects and really thought nothing of it. Yesterday, I learned a little more.

I became aware of Habitat for Humanity when it became "newsworthy" as a passion for Jimmy Carter in 1984. I knew that the organization built homes for families in need and that the owner/partners had to put in some sweat equity. And that is about all I knew.

Today I learned that Habitat for Humanity was actually started 1976 by Millard and Linda Fuller and that the concept that grew into Habitat for Humanity International was born at Koinonia Farm (a small, interracial, Christian farming community founded in 1942 outside of Americus, Ga., by farmer and biblical scholar Clarence Jordan). At Koinonia, Jordan and Fuller developed the concept of "partnership housing," where those in need of adequate shelter would work side by side with volunteers to build simple, decent houses.

Habitat houses are built with no profit added and no interest charged. Building is financed by a revolving Fund for Humanity. The fund's money comes from the new homeowners' house payments, donations and no-interest loans provided by supporters and money earned by fund-raising activities. The monies in the Fund for Humanity are used to build more houses.

So why all of this information on Habitat for Humanity? Well, when Cam and I showed up at church to volunteer for the food bank project, we learned that it wasn't an option this week. There are usually about 200 people that show up to serve, so there are always 7-10 different opportunities, however many of the family friendly options are environments that require interaction with elderly or mentally handicapped - not something Cam is willing to do at this point - but there was one that involved work in our local Habitat ReStore. Cam and I decided that was a good fit.

In addition to sorting and stocking several hundred drawer/cabinet knobs and pulls and moving/loading larger items people had purchased (the projects Cam and I worked on), I also discovered a wonderful community resource.

From the ReStore website:
ReStore is a building materials reuse center benefiting Habitat for Humanity. ReStore accepts donated new and gently used goods from retailers, manufacturers, distributors, contractors and homeowners. Building supplies are then sold, at greatly reduced prices, to the general public. The store's operation generates funds to support Habitat’s house building program, while reducing the amount of material that would otherwise go to overflowing landfills.

At ReStore, we’re keeping stuff out of landfills, raising money to build homes, and making low-cost materials available to those who otherwise may not be able to afford them.
Unfortunately, many of us live in homes that don't realize there is an economic downturn right now - repairs are a very real part of home ownership. The Habitat ReStores offer new and reusable building supplies at about 60% of retail. Not only are you able to save money, but the money you spend goes directly to the continued works of Habitat for Humanity and keeps reusable supplies out of the landfills.

Clicking [HERE] will take you to a listing of Habitat ReStores. Click on your state to see if this is a resource available in your community!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

12 comments:

we're doomed said...

Dear Dana, thank you for the education on Habitat for Humanity and Habitat ReStores. I guess your Sunday Secret is that you do a very nice job of explaining about these organizations.

Volly said...

Very nice -- I checked and there is a store in our town, just blocks from the house, in fact.

Thanks for all you do.

/v

P.S. Happy Easter.

Hubman said...

Thanks for the info Dana! Years ago (probably 12-13) ASM and I volunteered some time on a house that HforH was renovating. Unfortunately, we got turned off by the organizer of the group and didn't continue with them. At the very least, I'm going to look into the ReStores.

none said...

Thanks for the tip!

There's two in my town. I'll check them out.

Schmoop said...

We just had one open up in Bagwine very recently. Cheers and Happy Easter!!

Volly said...

Hubman,

My experience was similar (about 4 years ago in Atlanta). My assignment was to paint doors. Fine -- but try painting doors with a bucket of paint and a roller, but no tray! Then the "supervisor" decided to lecture me about how I was just "glopping it on." Helloooo... Beyond this, lunch was 2 hours late in arriving and somebody mis-counted. I could go on about mud, etc. but you get the idea. Volunteering is supposed to give you a good feeling, but organizers need to be cognizant of the need to "sweeten the pot" in small ways, such as making the job possible and just a wee bit comfortable. Otherwise, they shouldn't wonder why they have to scout up new folks every year, rather than expecting previous volunteers to just come back for more.

Dana said...

Doomed, I have to find something to replace those secrets, and no, I have no plans to make any more!

Volly, Happy Easter!

Hubman, I've learned that volunteering is often hit or miss prospect.

Dana said...

Hammer, I was amazed at what was available - great resource!

Matt-Man, the next time you need a new toilet you can stop in!

Volly, I am in no way defending unfriendly volunteer experiences, but having led the PTO this year, and volunteering more through the church, I have quite a different perspective on that. In fact, it might make a really good post! Hmmmm ...

buffalodick said...

At one time we have all been givers or takers. It is important to balance it whenever you can. Sounds odd, but if you just give- they will just take until you can't give anymore, and they find someone else that gives..."Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he will eat everyday"..

Vixen said...

I've volunteered at the Habitat for Humanity in our small town here and they have a Restore facility in the bigger down near by. It's a wonderful cause.

I really think it's great you and Cam have become so active in this. :)

g-man said...

That's pretty cool. Our local landfill has a space to recycle that sort of thing. I forget where it all goes exactly, but it was a "habitat" type organization.

Lu' said...

I did not know about the ReStore thanks for the info. I'm passing it along.