17 April 2009

Friday Wrap-Up

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ahhhh ... it's Friday! It's been somewhat of a hectic week, but a productive one! Taxes are done and paid (ouch!), Cam finished up his 3rd quarter of the year (and it looks like we'll see a HUGE improvement in his report card) and the trees are beginning to bud! In fact, I actually saw some Scotch Broom in bloom yesterday. Spring might finally be here.

~*~*~*~*~

I've been getting a handful of requests from businesses/organizations asking if I'll publicize their products/activities. Normally I decline - I don't want to feel an obligation to any outside source for my blog content - but I received one this week that I thought was worth passing on. I did do some research to insure this organization was legitimate, and was quite touched by many of the stories I read.

The Fresh Air Fund matches up boys and girls, 6 to 18 years old, who live in New York City with host families throughout the northeast United States. The majority of Fresh Air children are from low-income communities - often families without the resources to send their children on summer vacations. It's a great opportunity for kids to just be kids and for host families to make a difference.

If you are interested in learning more about the Fresh Air Fund, clicking on their graphic will take you to their news release.




~*~*~*~*~

There was a lot of political talk on many of the blogs I read this week. The tea parties seemed to be something that irritated the left leaning folks. It was interesting that most of the posts I read on this, no matter what their political leaning, stayed away from the name calling (thank you Jay and Hammer), but their commentors? Not so much. I saw this phenomena more on the left leaning blogs, but I have no doubt it occurred on both sides.

Look people, it is wonderful that we disagree. Really! But can you disagree without the name calling? Sure, there are some far right conservatives with their heads up their collective asses, but there are just as many far left liberals in the same predicament. Insisting that the only type of person who could possibly disagree with Obama is one who is racist - who is upset that a BLACK Democrat in office - does nothing more than make you look like someone who cannot form a logical argument.

There are many of us out here who disagree with the POLICIES, not the man. It isn't about who is making the decisions, but rather about the decisions they are making. It's not that we don't want to pay taxes, it's that we don't agree with how our taxes are being spent (and this is not new to the Obama administration). Let's have a discussion - not a name calling fest.

~*~*~*~*~

Read [THIS] article in the Washington Post the other day. Just to give you a little inkling as to the content, the article is titled, "When You're Flush, But Acting Flat Broke." Seems the media now wants to blame those of us who still have jobs, but are more aware of our discretionary spending for the continuing economic woes. This paragraph sums it up:

The frugality of the Kimberlins and Scanlons and millions of other Americans who still have their good jobs feed back on the economy, holding down growth and encouraging other worried workers to trim their spending -- causing the whole vicious cycle to run another lap.


Ummm ... hello? Had EVERYONE been doing this from the start, rather than over-extending themselves with credit cards and outlandish mortgages, we likely wouldn't be where we are now!

Will someone please stop blaming those who are doing what they should have been doing all along for causing the problems? It wasn't - and isn't - us. If acting financially responsible is hurting the economy, then let the damn thing fail!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~




14 comments:

Schmoop said...

Are you saying that me referring to me calling teabaggers as "inbred Americans" is name calling. I am shocked. Nay!! Outraged!! Cheers!!

Christo Gonzales said...

the problem is this 'insider trading ponzi scheme' we call a global economy - or something like that....derivatives are a figment of someones imagination

Unknown said...

Yea for Cam and his grades! I bet you are so happy and relieved by that.

That organization is great. I would LOVE to do that, but I'm pretty positive there is NO WAY my husband would go for it. He is just not that type of person.

In a city near Nashville, a new subdivision was built. Big, beautiful homes! More than 1/2 the people there had interest only mortgage loans for 2 years, hoping the economy would boom and they would get better jobs, higher pay. That subdivision is now 1/2 full of homes in foreclosure.

There is NO WAY I would EVER get that type of loan "hoping" for more money in the future. Well, unless.... no never mind. I just wouldn't do it.

Schmoop said...

Oh I forgot one thing...Scotch Brooms RAWK. More people should put them into their landscapes. Cheers!!

Vixen said...

That's awesome. I love that.... Yes. Blame the *RESPONSIBLE* people for the economy. Doh

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Congrats to Cam...

I am so with you on the name calling. It is really time for everyone to suck it up...we have a President and Senators and Congresspeople we elected. if they do not do what you desire...fire their collective a**es next time.

But we can not blame those in poser for all of the woes we are experiencing. This is the result of no one watching the hen house the last 8 - 10 years.

HUGS...grand Weekend Dana

Jay said...

I agree that injecting the president's race into any discussion makes it almost impossible to continue that conversation in any constructive way. Just like it was impossible to have a constructive conversation with people who called Bush "Hitler." And the same goes for the people who call Obama "Hitler." These people aren't open to any real and honest discussion.

That's my problem with the tea parties. It just turned into an opportunity for right-leaning people to go out and call Obama a baby-killing, America-hating, modern day Muslim Hitler. These are not serious people trying to engage in serious discussion about the state of our union.

*I actually had along rant about the phrases "left-leaning" and "right-leaning" but deleted it cause it's Friday and I'm in a good mood. LOL ;-)

M said...

I'm just as flat broke now as I was when the economy was decent :)

That's why I steer clear of political posts.

none said...

Thanks Dana.

My family has been cutting back too. I canceled my subscription to the Washington Post.... ;D

Seriously, most of these folks lost their retirements and now they have to scramble to make up for it.

What kind of idiot would blame a family for conserving during uncertain times?...Probably a desperate one who is losing his job at a leftist liberal rag like the Washington Post.

buffalodick said...

The speed of communications, education, and technology is leveling the playing field globally.... and the "haves"(USA) are the ones getting leveled a lot!

Dana said...

Matt-Man, well, we can start with "teabaggers" and move right through "inbread Americans" Yep! I think that pretty much covers it!

And I was surprised to learn that many people think of Scotch Broom as a nuisance plant. Probably the same folks who don't like liver!

doggybloggy, you know, you really are onto something there. None of it really exists in tangible form!

Bina, it's kind of funny as it looks like Cam's worst grade is going to be in band *rolls eyes* I noticed in our subdivision there are quite a few homes for sale with "Bank Owned" on the realtor signs.

Dana said...

Vixen, I had to re-read the article several times to believe that they were saying what I really thought they were saying! In other words, if we'd be less responsible with our money the economy would pick up? Really?

Bond, I *heart* political discussions generally, but when everyone is spewing nonsense rather than addressing the issues, it's a bit difficult to carry on a conversation!

Jay, If I do a post on "left-leaning" and "right-leaning" on Monday, will you re-post your rant??

we're doomed said...

Congratuations on Cam's progress, Dana. Otherwise, well said.

Dana said...

M, you're no fun! I'm a huge fan of debate, but when people stray from the topic and interject nonsense, they lose me.

Hammer, well, they say that newspapers are the next to go! We've always been relatively frugal with our household budget, and I'm fairly certain that plays a part in why we are not among those currently facing foreclosure.

Buff, we were always so far ahead, and I think we got a bit complacent. Hopefully we'll be able to dig deep and fix this one ... hopefully!