10 April 2009

Friday Wrap-Up

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A quick answer to Maeve's HNT Comment yesterday. She wrote:

I've never notice that birthmark(is it? I thought it was a tattoo on the first pic) before on you!

Well, it is a tattoo ... a very old tattoo (20 years old in fact) that has a great deal of sentimental value. I know I've mentioned this before, but my husband – the one who committed suicide - used to bring me "Thursday gifts." Sometimes they were little things, sometimes they were handmade things, and one time it was a trip to the tattoo parlor. The simple rose is very elementary body art by today's standards, and although the definition and color have faded, the memories haven't, and I just can't bring myself to have anything changed on it.

~*~*~*~*~

Speaking of HNT, I see that some of you have been snooping around found my HNT only blog. For now, it is serving as the archive for all previous HNT's (that was a *hint* in case you need help finding it), but I may eventually post HNT's exclusively on that blog. We'll see. One of the things I've always liked about this blog is that it doesn't fit any of those neat little boxes people like to use. It isn't a mommy blog - it isn't a sex blog - it isn't a news blog - it isn't a humor blog. No ... it's kind of a momsexnewsmor blog! I'd hate to give that up!

~*~*~*~*~

Cam and I will be playing with frozen meat again on Saturday. It's that time of the month when we head to the food bank distribution center, sort and re-box tons of frozen meat - literally. Our group of 30 volunteers processed 2.5 tons of frozen meat in three hours last month. I’ve also decided that I will continue volunteering on the same projects as Cam as it has become quite clear that he really does think it's kind of cool (in his "I only want people to know you’re my mom if I tell them you are" way) that I spend the time with him.

It will be Easter church service on Saturday night, then ... I don't know ... maybe White Castle for Easter dinner? With no family to celebrate the holidays with, I do my best to make the day special - and nothing says special Easter dinner quite like sliders!

~*~*~*~*~

Unless you live in Tampa or Chicago, you probably aren't aware that Walgreens pulled the special-edition Chia Obama from its shelves saying, "it's not our image."

Chia Pet creator Joseph Pedott (76) told FOX news, "I'm sick about it," disputing any suggestion that Chia Obama's Chia hair was mocking the Afro hairstyle.

"Obama had an Afro - does that make him racist?" Pedott said. "So how the hell do you get racist out of it? And number one, you can give him a haircut."

OK ... so no one really thought the Chia Pet creator was going to be well-spoken, did they?

Odd coincidence, Cam and I were just in a Walgreens about a week ago and saw the Chia Obama and I thought to myself, "Someone is going to make a big stink over that." Cam wanted to buy one, but the thought of spending $19.99 on a grass growing bust of a president I didn't vote for just didn't sit well with me. Ahhh ... ssuuush! I bought him the Obama baseball cap that he wanted and I even let him wear it when he's riding in the car with me!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

FIRST!! And, well, last. I'm only telling a few folks directly, but I consider you a blogging inspiration and I just wanted you to know that I have enjoyed your blog since I found it a couple years ago. I will be leaving the blogworld tonight as I have decided that my blogging path has come to an end. It's been an interesting ride, but I feel like it's over for me. I thank you for your many words of support and your comments on my posts. Please take care and know that you and Cam will remain in my thoughts and prayers.
FMD

FMD

captain corky said...

White Castle Easter dinner sounds sweet. I always order mine w/o onions. Some say that's sacrilege.

I must get my hands on an Obama Chia Pet!!!

Schmoop said...

Ha. What a coincidence. Sunday morning I am headed to the Castle to pick up a suitcase full of sliders, and break my meatlessness and my fast. Praise Jeebus!! Cheers!!

we're doomed said...

Sliders, the Mom and apple pie treat we all seek after a pleasant and late night of debauchery. Go grab a Obama chia pet. They will be worth something one of these days. It's great that Cam enjoys the volunteer thingy. Have a wonderful Easter. I can taste the ham already.

Biscuit said...

Now that thing will become a collectors item!

I like blogs that contain a little bit of everything. It represents the real person. Blogs with one focus can be great, but you never feel like you have a firm grasp on who that person really is. And I, for one, want to know REAL people.

Unknown said...

I think it's great how you and Cam go and do service. What a wonderful thing to do.

And I guess I haven't snooped enough cause I haven't found the "other" blog. But I'm gonna try!

Dana said...

FMD, sorry to see you go! You know I always had similar views to yours and enjoyed reading your spin on things. Good luck on your new path!

Corky, sometimes it's good to not be bound by familial expectations on holidays!

Matt-Man, a CraveCase is on our menu!

wayne said...

it is so nice to be able to read

a blog that is "REAL" just the

facts like you see them a

variety of topics

Loved your picture Thursday

Anndi said...

I understand the importance of that tattoo... I sure do.

jendeaux said...

i miss white castle so much! we get some every time we go back home. now you have my mouth watering.

Jay said...

Bonus boobies! I wondered why they were calling today "Good Friday." ;-)

I think the Chia Obama is pretty funny. I don't blame the guy for trying it. I'm pretty sure the only reason he made it was to make money of Obama's popularity. Capitalism baby!

But, $19.95? Pfffft ... I paid less than that for a Lincoln bust at his Library in Springfield a few years back.

Just Me said...

I must admit I giggled at your " ... and I even let him wear it when he's riding in the car with me" comment.

What moms won't do to please their children. Happy Friday!!

M said...

"momsexnewsmor blog!"

LOVE IT!!

I'm having Easter dinner with just my mom, dad, and grandparents. No kiddos :( Z's family does a big Easter thing and it makes sense for them to go there. White Castle's (minus the onion and add cheese please) sound awesome for Easter dinner!!

M said...

Off to snoop!!

Real Live Lesbian said...

Happy Good Friday, Jesus freak! j/k

I love your blog...just the way it is. Of course, more boobies would be good, too!

Vixen said...

I've already mentioned this I think before, I could totally see why you might want to separate your HNTs from your blog. But I'm also with Biscuit, I prefer blogs that have a little bit of everything. They are more 'real'. :)

buffalodick said...

There will be humourous items and jokes pertaining to a president- there always is...

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Nice that you have not redone the tat...it should stay natural...

When you switch to the HNT only blog, you'll tell me right? You leave breadcrumbs for me right?
But I like that you are so varied here...so hopefully I will not have to worry about the breadcrumb trail...

BELLY BOMBERS for Easter!!!! Why didn't I think of that!

I had not seen those and think they are wrong...sorry, but I do. After all, he is President...some respect please.

Dana said...

Doomed, I think of Sliders as comfort food.

Biscuit, I'm all about real people!

Bina, what's even better is that we have fun doing it!

Dana said...

Wayne, I don't try to be anything I'm not - it's just me!

Anndi, I know you do!

Jendeaux, I've tried to recreate White Castle at home without success. There's just something about the real deal!

Dana said...

Jay, Capitalism is a grand thing!

Baseball Mom, no kidding, huh?

M, we were supposed to have step-daughter this weekend, but the ex-wife's family does a BIG shindig for Easter as well. I know how tough those decisions can be, even when they are "right"

Dana said...

RLL, I've been called worse things than a Jesus Freak, that's for sure! And what? You're not appreciating the bonus boobies today?

Vixen, we'll see what happens. It's a decision I am struggling with on many levels (which is clear as I fence sit).

Buff, the difference with this President is that it seems so many want to play the race card any time satire is attempted!

buffalodick said...

Well, after 20 years of the race card played on me, I don't care- I didn't play it then or now...

Unknown said...

That's a neat tattoo & a very special story. I understand how it could have sentimental meaning.

I found your HNT only blog some time ago, thanks!

Volunteering at a food bank distribution center is a grand way to spend quality family time. My family did that years ago when I was still married and my kids where still at home.

Now my mouth is watering for White Castles!

I rather like the Chia Obama, although I think its face looks more like Bill Cosby than President Obama!

Easter blessings to you and yours!

tugiminwiryono said...

..tattoo.. ms. try the borneo tattoo..
and how on enjoy holidays on Bali island...
yudi...

Dana said...

Bond, here is my question - had there been a chia Bush *giggle* would you have had the same reaction?

Nick, so good to see you!! And you - of all people - found the HNT only blog without so much as a hint? Hmmm ... Have a wonderful Easter!

wahyudi, I'm still working on deciphering that comment - it's early!

Lu' said...

I think that chia Obama is a laugh riot and probably somewhere a real one. Happy Easter Dana and Cam.

Anonymous said...

Dana, I like your blog and well I have been coming around here for awhile and I love it! Yes Dana I said Awhile, but ya know well damn I was silent! lol

I hope Cam and you have a wonderful Passover!!