18 April 2009

Saturday 9 - Almost Famous

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


1. Have you ever been told that you look like someone famous?

Hmmm ... I've been told I have a chin like Jay Leno, does that count?

Actually, because of a rather insensitive remark made by my orthodontist 33 years ago ("You know, you might want to talk to your parents about plastic surgery - a plastic surgeon could shave off some of your chin and you'd look far less masculine"), the few times I've been told I have a chin like Jay Leno I've probably taken it far worse than it was meant. In my slightly unbalanced world, "You have a chin like Jay Leno," is NOT a compliment.

What I do get a lot is, "Do I know you? You look really familiar." I get it here in town (not that unusual in a town of 3500), but I get it a lot of other places too. In fact, I was asked that question on three separate occasions when Cam and I made the trek west last summer.

2. Name a celebrity that shares your birthday.

There were quite a few, so I decided to go with a list of those from the first 2/3's of the 20th century. Besides, with the exception of Vin Diesel (1967), Ben Sheets (1978) and Torii Hunter (1975) I had never heard of any of those younger than me!

1961 Elizabeth McGovern (actress)
1954 Ricky Skaggs (instrumentalist)
1947 Malcolm "Steve" Forbes Jr., (publisher, presidential candidate)
1941 Martha Reeves (singer)
1940 James Brolin (actor)
1939 Hunter Thompson (Journalist, writer, editor)
1921 John Glenn Jr (astronaut)
1927 Kurt Masur, conductor
1918 Nelson Mandela (south african president)
1913 Red (Richard) Skelton (comedian, recording artist)
1906 Clifford Odetts (playwright)

3. Tell us about your first kiss.

This has come up a couple of times in previous posts. I was 15 before I got my first kiss (I was not at all considered "kissable" most of my growing up years). Kisser #1 was Scott, the trombone player. He lived far away so I was pretty "safe" - no one that he saw every day would ever know that he kissed me!

4. When you meet someone attractive, what do you notice first?

Maybe it's age that does this, but attractive to me has far more to do with who a person is than what they look like. Sure, I'll look at a man or woman and think, "Wow! They are really attractive" but that doesn't mean that I am attracted to them.

Since I am more likely to be attracted to intelligence, sincerity, humor, etc., I would say the first thing I notice when I meet someone who is attractive is how they make me feel. Are they warm and welcoming? Standoffish? Do they seem honest and trustworthy? Wait ... I'm really not looking for a Boy Scout!

5. What was your biggest mistake ever?

This question is impossible to answer. There have been so many mistakes that choosing one would be like having to order plain vanilla ice cream in a small cup at Cold Stone!

6. Give us one random, but candid fact about you.

I seriously considered filing our taxes with a "Married, filing separately" status this year, knowing that I would get a significant refund and husband would have to pay. He'd have never known the difference and my refund would have paid for my trip out to Washington this summer.

7. What about your current or most recent lover excites you?

Can we just skip this one? I'll just say that my current/most recent lover no longer cares if he excites me and I really miss being excited!

8. What really annoys you?

Today? This week? Or just generally? This week I would say it is peoples' (said generally) inability to to read a "controversial" blog post and answer it with a logical, relevant and well thought out comment. I have seen so much random, poorly written, snarky comments this week it isn't even funny. Of course none of that occurred on my blog ... well, with one exception ...

9. How many other Saturday 9’ers answers do you usually read?

I don't usually participate in the Saturday 9. In fact, this might be a virgin experience for me! Yep! It certainly is! Saturday 9 has been in my Reader FOREVER but I need to be inspired to do the meme thing. I don't even know how many people usually participate, but if it's under ... say 30? I'll try to get to every one!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

24 comments:

Leonhart said...

I think even a guy has the right to feel insulted at being told they look like Jay Leno. You know some pretty brazen people that will say such things to you! (Credit to them for saying it to your face though.)

I've been told I look like Brad Pitt. Yeah. I don't know who he is though so I can't tell them if they're right or not.

That's a true story.

we're doomed said...

Red Skelton. he was the best.

Attack the person, don't debate the idea. A sure sign of a single digit IQ.

Schmoop said...

I don't share Chris Rock's birthday. He shares mine. I don't think I have ever kissed a trombone player. I'll have to look into that. Cheers!!

Unknown said...

Our accountant filed us as married and separate. Chris had to pay quite a bit and I got a refund. After paying the $407 to him for preparing them (WOW) in the end, it will come out to us only paying 1/2 of what we would have as jointly.

Did that make sense?

Lisa G said...

I don't understand why people jump immediately to snark instead of actually thinking about what they say in a comment. Read and COMMENT, not read and bitch.

Brandi said...

Actually, Dana, you should want a boy scout. I've been involved with (and been friends with) many a boy scout, even a few Eagle Scouts. And let me tell you: they know ROPES. ;-)

Osbasso said...

NY Diva amuses the hell outta me!

Scott the trombone player who lives far away??? For fear of incrimination, I won't go into this one...

annies home said...

you poor thing I hope the comment gods smile on you and you receive better ones in the future

Dana said...

Leonhart, ummmm ... so telling me I have a chin like Jay Leno isn't meant to be a compliment??

Doomed, I continue to be amazed that people do not realize how silly attacking people makes them look.

Matt-Man, you know, I understand there are trombone players not named Scott!

Dana said...

Bina, being the accountant that I am, I do our taxes. It would have been too easy for me to do the "wrong" thing, but it sure was tempting!

NurseExec, you would be making the assumption that most people have the ability to think!

NY Diva, do you know any grown-up Boy Scouts? Some how when I think Boy Scout I think under 18 and that's just creepy!

Jay said...

I share a birthday with some really awesome people like Willard Scott and Tammy Faye Bakker.

But, Aristotle did die on my birthday. Only about 2,290 or so years before I was born.

Sometimes people say things in comments that they wouldn't normally say if they took a little more time and thought it out a bit. Usually people have so many blogs to comment on that they race through them and sometimes say silly things.

Look at me! Being all understanding and shit. LOL ;-)

Dana said...

Os, she is pretty funny, isn't she? Incriminate?? Nahhh ... everyone knows better!

shopannies, Oh! Really! Not on my blog, but I spend some time on some more "controversial" blogs and the comments there are amazing - or is that terrifying?

Vixen said...

I can't BELIEVE the nerve of that Orthodontist! Gah....

none said...

That dentist had a for shit bedside manner. He was proably related to my mother.

Sheesh.

I look more at a whole package as a person than just typical attractive/not attractive criteria as well.

Anonymous said...

When I was in high school someone told me I looked like Gonzo the muppet. I'm pretty sure he meant that we both have a big nose and not fuzzy blue fur. But it has stuck with me all my life and made me sef-conscious about my nose. I wish people would learn to keep some things to themselves.

Maria's Space said...

My husband told me I have a Gonzo nose. I just about spit bullets at him.

Arlene said...

Your # 5 made me laugh. i do feel the same so am asking the question back to the readers. lol!

Would be happy if you come by to read my answers. :)

Happy week-end!

lupusurvivor said...

agree with your number 8. i also read a lot of comments on blog post about something controversial and somehow i am annoyed on how others react without knowing the facts.

thanks for the visit.

buffalodick said...

What people say is usually spontaneous, what they write usually has more thought put into it...or at least- should have!

Dana said...

Jay, I know that the internet - generally - takes away a social buffer that many of us have, I just wish people would THINK before hitting enter!

Vixen, and here I am, all these years later, convinced that if only I'd had my chin bone shaved I might look more feminine.

Hammer, I've seen a lot of attractive, but ugly people. In fact, I often have to work hard at not prejudging the pretty people.

Dana said...

Mejis, I'm glad I'm not the only one who fell prey to that kind of comment. I think things said, to children especially, have a way of sticking with them - good or bad.

onangelwings, what?? Two silly Gonzo comments? Lets cover the perps in blue fuzz!

Arlene, I've made so many mistakes, there really is no putting them in order - but I wouldn't trade them for the world!

Dana said...

lupissurvivor, I am often taken aback by the notion that total "strangers" think they know me - can judge me - based only on what they read.

Buff, you would think the process of writing would slow down the stupidity factor, wouldn't you?

Brandi said...

Well, they're former Boy Scouts. Much less creepy than minors. :-)

snugs said...

I saw the clip of Jay Leno doing his Susan Boyle impersonation this weekend and I have to say it really did remind me of you and I could see the resemblence.