08 December 2007

Another Virgin Experience

I did something on Thursday that I've never done before - no, this has nothing to do with the nip pic although that was a virgin experience as well - this task actually has the potential to facilitate positive change in my community. I wrote a letter to the editor of my local paper and I emailed my state legislators.

I decided when my son started middle school this fall that it was time for me to become more involved in the education process and the community in general. I know, I know, the standard mom thing to do is to be involved in the early years of education, but I have a different philosophy on that. When do kids have the most potential to get in to trouble? When they are 6 and their biggest concern is recess and snack time, or when they are 12 and going through puberty, and thinking they are now men and women? Speaking from personal experience only, I'd have to say the middle and high school years have the greatest potential for catastrophic decision-making.

I signed up for the Parent Volunteer Committee (PVC) during the 6th grade orientation this past fall. I became an active member of the committee - even taking on a position as an officer of the committee. On Monday, I was asked to attend a meeting of the PTO/PVC Officers from all of the schools in our district. I was amazed at all of the information that was shared at that meeting that directly affected my son's education. One of the key issues was funding for new schools and school renovations.

I live in a very small, but rapidly growing community. Our current population is 3500, but is expected to be somewhere near 35,000 in ten years. In fact, the community is so small that currently the middle school and high school kids attend classes in the same building, however that changes next year. The district built a new high school in my community and has scheduled renovations of the current middle school/high school for this summer in order to make the "new" middle school more functional. We passed a referendum in 2005 that increased our property taxes in order to pay for the new high school and the renovations to the middle school.

What does all of this have to do with writing a letter to the editor? Well, when the referendum was passed, part of the deal was that the state would reimburse a percentage of the construction costs incurred with the new high school. Guess what? That's right, the state has not held up its end of the bargain. In fact, the state has not issued any reimbursements for these approved projects since 2002. Our district must receive the reimbursement by January in order to go forward with the middle school renovations.

As a parent and community member, I had read about the state budget impasse, but had no idea that this affected my family, my community and me. My theory is that if I didn't understand this concept, chances are others in my community do not understand it either. What better way to explain the challenge, as well as offer a solution (writing our state legislators) than through a letter to the editor? So I did!

Will my efforts facilitate change? Honestly, I have no idea, but if they do, it's a huge success for my community. If they don't? Well, at least I have earned the "right" to bitch about the situation by actually doing something to change it.

I challenge all of you to take action the next time you find yourself complaining about something. It really is a good feeling knowing that you haven't just watched from the sidelines, but actually participated in the game - whether you win or lose. Now, if I could just implement that thought process in all areas of my life that are in need of change ...

7 comments:

Jay said...

When I was a kid we had a similar situation trying to build a new high school. We got assurances from our local state senator and state congressman that they would get the money we needed to reimburse the school district. Of course, they both sold us out when they got back to Little Rock and stuck the district with the full bill.

So, during the next election a group of parents and citizens handed out fliers telling voters all about what those two guys did. And they got their asses voted out. Paybacks are a bitch, huh? LOL

You can never trust the state to help out even when they promise to do so. But, your local congressmen should be held accountable if he/she doesn't do all they can to make sure the state lives up to it's promises.

Way to get involved though!

R.E.H. said...

It's good to hear someone take action against wrong-doings instead of just (as you put it) go around bitchin' about it.

Hopefully results will come too.

Jen said...

Hi ~ I came through "In Search of My Hip Bones" 'cos I thought you a very brave, brave woman. Just to pierce something so sensitive and beautiful shows courage beyond what I have. Second, it's a beautiful piece of art - both the pieced and body.

I also wanted to comment that I, too, had my first mammogram this year at the age of 36. Breast cancer runs in my maternal side of the family. Had to have it done and was scared into craptacular in having to do it. Turns out, it was nothing. The squishy didn't hurt at all. I tell all my friends on how they HAVE to have this done! Do it.

Finally, good for you on getting into writing for your rights!

I'll be back. I'm a good stalker like that. . .

Jen said...

OMG - I don't know how to spell. I meant, "piece" (as in jewerly) not "pieced". . . duh.

Dana said...

Jay, I've become a bit cynical in my old age, and I'd be foolish to believe that change is inevidible, however it sure felt good to actually *do* something!

R.E.H., anyone can bitch. I have far more respect for those that actually do something.

Jen, thanks for stopping by, and don't worry about spelling until blogspot manages a spell check for comments!

buffalodick said...

Your comment about those (age 13 thru 18) years being crucial in a persons' life struck a cord. I agree. I have described teen years as follows; You worry about your grades, peer group acceptance, clothes, weight, the opposite sex, your parental conflicts, money, your future- and then you get a zit..... My sons are in their 20s now, but those teen years are work for the kids and parents alike. You are doing the right thing- stay the course!

Leighann said...

Good for you Dana! I think it's great that you're being proactive in all of this!

I send extra supplies when the classrooms run low, does that count for something? LOL