13 December 2007

Unemployment - The Remix

EGADS! Can I please go back to work? Someone? Anyone? I've got some great, marketable skills! This unemployment thing is driving me batty!!

So, as previously discussed, I filed an unemployment claim last year but never collected because I quickly found a job. I applied for benefits this year and they tell me I have an unpaid waiting week due on my last claim for the benefit year ending 11/11/2007. OK, I don't agree, I file an appeal, I move forward.

I now start a NEW benefit year. Of course, there is another unpaid waiting week due for that benefit year (week ending 11/17). So now I've been unemployed for two weeks and have yet to see any $$. Fine, I can scrape by with TWO waiting weeks pending my appeal - everything should be on track, right?

I get a benefit check for the week ending 11/24 - things are looking up! On Monday, I call in to certify for benefits for the weeks ending 12/1 and 12/8. I've even got direct deposit set up now. Any guesses on where this is going??

Well, I got $$ for the week ending 12/8, but NOT for the week ending 12/1. WTF?? (that was for you RockDog). Let's call the unemployment office so that I can blog about shitty customer service like Jay did today. Ahhhh ... and I wasn't even disappointed.

I talk to "Reuben" and immediately think of corned beef, sauerkraut, thousand island dressing and rye bread - I'm hungry!

Distracted ... concentrate ... Reuben is speaking English - kind of. Reuben goes through all of the obligatory security questions and then gets very, very quiet. He mentions something about a hold of some type on benefits for the week ending 12/1, but can't seem to tell me what kind of hold it is or why it is there. He starts "fishing" for a little help, trying to come up with something *I* must have done to make this happen. Sorry Reuben, I can't help you there. I've been doing EXACTLY what I am supposed to be doing.

A few more moments of silence with an "ummmm" added for covering his ass emphasis and he says, I'm on the phone cue this afternoon and it is really busy. I'll need to look in to this when I have a spare moment and get back to you." It's another WTF?? moment. Reuben didn't seem to give a rat's ass care about the fact that this is my son's Christmas gift we are talking about. Instead, he assured me he would get back to me, but just in case he forgot he gave me his direct extension. I guess I'll just take his direct extension to the bank and attempt to deposit that in my checking account! Or better yet, maybe I can use it as a gift card at Target!!

I know this will all work out, but dammit I am tired of doing someone elses job and not getting paid for it!

12 comments:

R.E.H. said...

As much as I would enjoy life unemployed (as in not having to go to some boring job and waste the majority of any good day)... I certainly don't want the money-troubles associated with that. Been there, done that - not fun!

Hope you find a job soon - one that you'll like!

buffalodick said...

Now a "Reuben" has a whole new unpleasant image in my brain, dammit! Good luck on the job thing- my wife lost her full time job back in the spring, and Michigan is not a hot bed of opportunities right now!

Jay said...

When I got laid off in San Antonio I filed for unemployment and it got denied. I called to find out why and they said that my former employer denied it and I'd have to appeal. So, I called my former employer and asked what was up and the HR Bimbo said "Oh we automatically deny each request so we can review why the employee left".

I was like "Well, you guys just laid off 385 people!" She was like "I know, I've been SOOOOOO busy this morning!"

I won my appeal.

The waiting week sucks.

Dana said...

r.e.h., I will say that it has been WONDERFUL having time off during the holidays, but the unemployment hassel has been crazy.

buffalodickdy, sorry about altering the reuben image, but now I am sure hungry for one!

Jay, I'm relieved to hear that I am not the only one with these issues, although I really wouldn't wish this polka on anyone.

Anonymous said...

Reuben sucks...both the guy and the sandwhich. There, I said it!
Death to all reubens!

Anonymous said...

Seriously, sorry to hear that you are going through such a rough time, especially right at the holiday. Because of some bad issues I've had lately with deadbeat tenants, I can't afford Christmas this year myself, so I sympathize greatly with you

g-man said...

Now I'm hungry!!

I hope you get it all worked out soon. Be proactive and call their ass up once as day and ask for a supervisor until it is settled. I bet after you tell them that since you have no job to go to it will be your pleasure to call them daily and see how it is going, it gets resolved sooner. :)

Hugs to you in the meantime.

MrRyanO said...

That blows getting the runaround like that! I hope this shit works out soon...now where's the food???

Anonymous said...

Dana-
the 2 comments attributed to "Lou" are me signed in to the wrong Gmail account.

Sorry about that, and thanks for stopping by the cupboard, come back soon.
=)

Dana said...

TheBirdman33 (a.k.a. Lou), thank you for clarifying. For a minute there I thought I had a cyber stalker and I got all excited *giggle*

G-man, well, I'll be posting an update in a few minutes. Dare I be optimistic??

RockDog, didn't that sandwich look yummy? I'm going to have to get me one today!

Leighann said...

Did you HAVE to post that picture?

I'm drooling and it's all your fault! *giggle*

Dana said...

Leighann, doesn't that just look yummy?!?!