12 December 2007

The Christmas Tree Hunt

This weekend we conducted our annual Christmas Tree hunt. For some people this is a relatively easy quest - pull the box out of the basement and set up the pre-lit tree - but in our home it is a weekend project.

First, we must rent a vehicle - an SUV to get the tree from the tree farm to our house. The tree certainly cannot be tied to my husband's Chrysler 300M Special (shame on the wife who would ever even suggest such a thing), and my car is too small to comfortably haul the family in. Early Saturday morning we pick up the rental SUV, grab some breakfast, and head out to the tree farm.

We let the kids pick out the tree - having them switch off with the responsibility each year. This year my son picked, and I think we looked at about 254 trees before he decided on "the one" - a TEN foot Norwegian Spruce. Next comes the sawing process, the wrapping of the tree, the picking of a wreath, the obligatory family photo, oh, and then the hot chocolate, cookies and popcorn. By the time we got home, got the tree unloaded, in the stand and in the front room, Saturday was gone and I was exhausted!

Guess what we did Sunday? That's right! Time to decorate the monster in the front room. Get the ladders and all of the decorations out. Check all of the lights to make sure they work. Wait, some are blinking and some are not. Can't have that - make sure all of the lights are blinking. String the lights on the tree - oops! Not enough lights - run to the Ace hardware in town to get 3 more strings of lights. Lights are on, kids start with the ornaments. Of course mom still has to help - can't have the kids on the ladder or we'll inevitably have a trip to the ER. FINALLY finish at 6PM Sunday. Put all of the bins that hold the decorations in the basement and, what?? It's time for bed already? Where did the weekend go?


12 comments:

MrRyanO said...

Nice tree! Looks like it was time well spent!

Oh, by the way...you have a light out right over there. Time for another trip to Ace!

:D

Jay said...

The tree is awesome!

I have some of those same little red bows that you have on your tree. Of course I haven't put my tree up yet. I wasn't planning getting it out this year, but the blog peer pressure is getting to me. LOL

Real Live Lesbian said...

Gorgeous tree! Sounds like fun to me!

Leighann said...

That's a huge friggin tree! LOL

It looks great!

buffalodick said...

You are the first person I've ever heard of renting an SUV to pick up a Christmas tree! Great looking tree!

Dana said...

RockDog, I made certain to buy the light strings that allow a light to burn out without shutting the entire string off - PPFFTTT!

Jay, get your damn tree up!

RLL, it would have been much more fun had it been 75 degrees instead of 25 degrees.

Leighann, that's what happens when you have 20' ceilings in your front room.

Buffalodickdy, yes, renting an SUV has become part of the tradition, although there was one year when we ended up with a minivan.

R.E.H. said...

That really is a big tree!

I wonder if I'll find the time for any christmas decorating at home for myself ;)

g-man said...

Heck a 300M a blanket and 20 feet of twine, what more do you need ;) Definitely a nice tree. I am groovin' on your high ceiling.

Dana said...

r.e.h., yes, it really is a big tree, and I can't help but think getting it in the house was far easier than getting it out will be!

g-man, I'm with you on the use of hubby's car, however he is just a bit protective of the darn thing. We'll be the family that has to walk 3/4 of a mile to the store because the car must be parked at the outer edge of the lot.

Christo Gonzales said...

HUGE tree.....wow it looks so nice

Schmoop said...

Sweet looking tree Dana. Thanks for stopping by and Cheers!!

Dana said...

doggybloggy, THANKS!

Matt-man, I'll be making more regular visits.