16 December 2007

Stuck with the Fighting Irish

Have I ever mentioned how much I enjoy traveling during the winter? Currently, I am sitting in the "Business Center" of a Comfort Suites Hotel in South Bend, IN wondering if I'll be able to make the 180 mile westward trek home sometime today. Here is the current radar screen

I am hoping that by checkout time (11AM) the snow will have stopped and I'll at least be able to see the tollway to make it home. Yesterday afternoon, I hopped in the car and drove to the tollway assuming all would be well. The roads weren't too bad (bare and wet - like some of you like your women *giggle*), but there was no visibility. I turned around and decided my son and I were much safer staying in a hotel for another night.

I took a peek out the window this morning and today isn't looking terribly promising either, but if I can make it out of the unplowed parking lot, I might be OK. Fortunately, I'm quite comfortable driving in the snow - seven years of Minnesota winters will do that for you!

I'm taking bets on how long the normally 2.5 hour trip will take this afternoon. Anyone up for an informal poll?




**UPDATE**UPDATE**UPDATE**

Ahhhh ... good old best intentions ...

It just seemed 11AM was far too late to leave. Yes, it was still snowing in South Bend - yes, the weather report indicated that there were significant lake effect snows just west of South Bend in La Porte - but I am Dana, Princess of Power, and none of those things mattered - I wanted to head home and head home I did!

We left at 8:37AM. It was still snowing big giant flakes, but I could see the tollway was moving at a decent pace. I should have known there would be trouble when I turned to get on the tollway and the on-ramp had not yet been plowed.

As I do when the weather gets a bit dicey, I tucked myself behind a semi-truck once I got on the tollway. He seemed to be driving a bit conservatively which, considering the weather, seemed quite appropriate. The first 10 miles of the trip weren't bad. Only the right hand lane was relatively clear, but we were maintaining a 50-60 mph speed. Then all hell broke lose.

About 10 miles outside of La Porte the snow started to really come down. I knew this was where the lake effect snows were, so I wasn't surprised. What did surprise me was the fact that just as quickly as the snow started coming down, the road and visibility went to shit. I could not tell where the road was and the only thing I could see in front of me were the back lights of the semi-truck. At speeds averaging 25 mph, this is what I could see (no, I didn't snap a pic while driving, this was one I found on-line that was close to the conditions today, but not quite as bad)


After about 20 minutes of nail-biting, "Ah Shit!" driving, we did make it through. I felt like a lemming, knowing if the semi drove off the road, into a ditch, I'd be following him right on in. I am an experienced winter driver and these were the worse conditions I've ever seen.

Just as quickly as the snow started, it stopped. Once we got to the west side of La Porte, the skies were bright blue and sunny. It was the strangest thing. The rest of the trip was uneventful and we pulled into the garage at 11:42, 3 HOURS AND 5 MINUTES from the time we left South Bend.

There's no place like home ... there's no place like home ...



15 comments:

R.E.H. said...

Drive safe.

While not having a first hand look at the severity of the road conditions, I would like to cast my vote at 3hrs and 12min.

Schmoop said...

I am a big fan of the Fightin' Irish, but there are much better places to be stuck than South Bend, IN. Good Luck, and Cheers!!

Travel Time: 3 Hrs and 56 Min.

Leighann said...

If your roads are anything like ours were, I put your travel time at 4 hours. But since you're comfortable driving in it, I'll vote for 3hrs 30mins!

Drive safe!

Jay said...

3 hrs 39 mins 22 seconds.

Be careful!

Amy said...

Five hours, to allow for the crazies on the road who can't drive. :) We have snow, sleet, and freezing rain today, and the plow just made the first round at 11 am.

g-man said...

If it is mostly highway I will put it right at 3 hours.

Drive safe. Make sure everyone pees before you go. :)

Heh heh she said poll.

MrRyanO said...

Be safe! Update us!

Dana said...

r.e.h., you were so close.

matt-man, I'm a big Notre Dame fan too (yes, even this year), but unless it's a game week-end, you are right - South Bend is not the place to be stuck.

Leighann, you were way off - ye have little faith!

Dana said...

Jay, you get bonus points for being so precise. Are you like that in everything you do??

Amy, thank goodness you were wrong!

G-man, DING-DING-DING, we have a WINNER!! Of course had my son and I not gone to the bathroom before leaving, r.e.h. would have had you!

RockDog, we are safe and you are updated!

buffalodick said...

That area around Lake Michigan can have amazing changes in the weather in short periods of time. Most of the weather reports in G.R. feature the words "Lake effect snow"....

Anonymous said...

Exciting story!!

I'm glad you made it home ok. I got caught in a storm like that in the mid-ninties in Northern NY in a Honda CRV...my poor little Honda didn't make it through that night.

=(

R.E.H. said...

I was counting on you guys having to make a quick stop to go to the bathroom...

Never, ever, take care of that business before you leave ok?

I feel cheated ;)

Congrats G-Man!

Real Live Lesbian said...

Glad you made it home safely!

Anonymous said...

This, THIS is exactly why I love living in Georgia :)

Course, an inch of snow down here makes driving turn to shit.

g-man said...

Woohoo!! :) Glad you made it home and in near perfect time I might add. :)

Sorry R.E.H.