17 December 2007

Blog Etiquette

I was catching up on my blog reading today and came across RockDog's recent post on Blog and Chatroom Etiquette. It was a timely discovery for me - I had just been doing some research on blog etiquette last week after a disastrous episode with a fellow member of a Yahoo Group that I belong to.

Long story short, she and I are like oil and water and she was quite bothered by my judgement observations of her blog. So much so that she posted a portion of a private email I sent to her regarding her blog (and other observations) on her blog. The only problem was that she didn't give any history behind the email, nor did she post the entire email. Her blog post resulted in a barrage of nastiness from her readers directed at me. I didn't add a comment to her blog (although I really, REALLY wanted to) but rather just let her have her moment of validation from her cyber friends.

Now, I'm a big girl and I take responsibility for my actions. What I said was the truth (as I see it) and I didn't spew my views in a public forum, but rather in a private one (as private as email is). I don't have any regrets for any of the things I said, but the realization that private email conversations can be manipulated, then reposted in a public forum was an eye opener for me. I starting thinking I had better find out if there is general, good blog/blogger etiquette. What I found seemed to be common sense to me, but apparently common sense is not rampant in the blogger world.

For example, RockDog's #4 - Being new to the blog and pimping your site, begging for comments, or being a jerk in general. I'm thinking I wouldn't make friends in real life if I did this, so why in the hell would I do it in cyberland? Where is the common sense here? I knew nothing about blogs/blogging when I started mine a few months ago. I just thought it would be cheap therapy fun to have a place to vent and get my thoughts out of my head. I wasn't even sure I wanted anyone to read this blog, let alone make comments on it. When people started posting comments, it seemed logical that I would acknowledge those comments and visit their blogs to see what they were all about. No different than waving to one of my neighbor's as they drive by my house.

I remember when I saw my first meme and I thought, "Hmmmm ... interesting concept." But then there was this whole tagging thing. Hell, I didn't like being forced to be "it" when I was in elementary school, I sure don't want adults telling me I'm "it" now! I write what I want, when I want to, because that's what's in my head. Occasionally I'll see an interesting twist on the meme, like the "Letter to 13 year old you" that I read on a few blogs. Although I wouldn't likely participate, every one of them I read was a great read.

I understand reading blogs written by people with distinctly different views and lifestyles - it makes the world all that more interesting - but I am surprised when I hear that people will read what they find to be "offensive" and then post comments to that blog regarding how "offensive" it is. For goodness sakes, if you find a blog "offensive", don't read it! It's not rocket science, it's common sense!

I sit here shaking my head as I write this. Really people (and I do realize I am, for the most part, preaching to the choir here) it's that good old Golden Rule - Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

13 comments:

buffalodick said...

I can talk way faster than I can type, so my mouth gets me in more trouble than my written words! I'm a big kidder, and never mean on purpose- so I tell people if it sounded mean- I really was kidding!

Jay said...

From time to time I get emails from people telling me how stupid I am and I've even had a person call me a pig in comments before. I just laugh at them. There are a lot of people out there who aren't happy unless they are being offended. They just look for reasons to be offended.

I did post a person's email once, but I didn't cut any of it out or anything like that. I just responded to the idiocy. LOL

MrRyanO said...

How ironic is it that the people who are most offended always read the entire post...sometimes many times over...LOL!

For the record, Jay IS a pig! LOL!

Dana said...

Buffalodickdy, I fall prey to the lack of tone in my written words. Seems there are just those people out there who want to assume the worst.

Jay, you PIG! Have I ever told you how much I like pork chops?

RockDog, I liken it to listening to a Hip Hop radio station and then calling and complaining because they aren't playing Country. It just makes no sense.

Schmoop said...

Great post and I agree whole-heartedly on the Meme tagging issue. If someone reads my blog and ISN'T offended, that offends me. Thanks for the link Dana, and Cheers!!

Anonymous said...

I flunked blogger etiquette! Damn me!

Don't let the people who were rude to you bug you.They are just the zits on the butt of humanity!

Dana said...

Matt-man, let me assure you that I am offended each and every time I visit your blog - you are not disapointing me!

Preposterous Ponderings, your "F" in blog etiquette is likely why I enjoyed the read!

R.E.H. said...

Common sense seems to get me by in most cases... sure is the preferred way of handling the blogging world as well.

Some people though, seem to think that just because the blogging community is [fairly] anonymous, that it's okey to behave in a disrespectful and thoughtless manner.

Dana said...

r.e.h., maybe it's because I'm "old" and cynical, but I never forget there is a live body behind that screen. You are absolutely right, the lure of annonymity seems to suck out the common sense.

Anonymous said...

Did she post who that email is from? Cause that is crazy unexcusable? Don't get me wrong, I think it's not really cool that she shared it with the world to begin with, but if she gave out who the email was from, that crosses a line.

The few times that I have seen I was "tagged" I felt honored, cause it at least meant they read my stuff and "thought about me". But I NEVER tag anyone cause I don't want to put them on the spot. I'm the same way in real life, I tell people I'm easy going and feel free to "impose" upon me and then I don't ever want to impose on anyone else.

Unknown said...

READ ahead Doofus....I again apologize and sorry about the tag, I mean it...I really am, I am a nice person, ask Leighann...she should vouch for me, she better.
I do come and read regularly, that is the only reason I risked the tag, and now I feel so guilty...is my guilt working yet? wink

Dana said...

thebirdman33, I think I need to consider the "priveledge" of being tagged a bit more. You are right - it is flattering!

Sassy, read my comment above. I do appreciate the thought even though I will likely not participate.

Unknown said...

Dana I understand :)