08 January 2010

Friday Wrap-Up

~*~*~

A few of you asked how the IT server migration turned out last week. That wonderful idea to shut down the server that hosts the accounting software on the busiest day of the accounting year? Yeah ... well ...

They assured us they'd make our server the priority and it would be back up in 30 minutes. Can anyone guess how accurate that was? We were back up 1 hour and 47 minutes after they took us off-line. Even better? My employer let everyone go at 2:30PM on New Year's Eve and IT was walking out the door promptly at 2:30PM. Guess where I was? That's right ... sitting at my desk trying to get through the work that had to be completed before I left. I was here until 4PM.

Golly! If I'd have had that 1 hour and 47 minutes of WORK TIME during the WORK DAY, I could have left at 2:30PM too! Bitter? Just a wee bit.

~*~

Speaking of bitter and work ... We were notified today that the natural gas will be shut off to our building beginning at 11AM and will (hopefully) be turned back on at 1PM. This means we will have no heat in the building for those two hours. Granted, the IT department isn't in charge of this shut down so it might actually last only two hours, but again, is the middle of the word day the best time to do this?

I went to the "Big Dog" and inquired about making the day a "casual" Friday (we don't have those here - men are required to wear ties daily and women are encouraged to wear skirts/dresses) so that we might be better able to keep warm during the gas shut down. And the response was?? I'm wearing a dress today!

~*~

Thanks for all of the feedback on the PTO issue. I've decided that I will make my position on the matter clear, then let it go. I will vote against any measure that excludes any parent from being a voting member of the organization and will continue to use my "executive board" member vote to advocate for the student/parent population not represented by the PTO membership.

Then I'll be grateful that most of the "executive board" members have younger kids and will likely continue running the middle school PTO rather than moving on to the High School PTO!

~*~

Confession time ...

Remember when I told y'all that I was adding the Project 365 Blog (Dana Does Digital - if you haven't been over there you're missing out, so here is a little preview to entice you)?




Anyway, I mentioned that didn't foresee it changing anything about this blog. Well, that does seem to be the case, but something is changing this blog - LOD!

LOD you ask? Why yes! Lack Of Drama! I didn't realize how much I blogged about the craziness that my life had become until there wasn't so much craziness to blog about. Now I'm really struggling to come up with things to write about.


I must keep reminding myself this is a good thing!

~*~

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

~*~*~

19 comments:

Real Live Lesbian said...

LOD. I've had that very same problem. But it's a good one to have!

LOVE that pic. And I've got to get over to your other blog. Right now. I'm going.

snugs said...

wow, my plate has been pretty full and I just took time to catch up and there is no drama! You have to go stir the pot at PTO cuz you are going thru drama withdrawls, that is too funny..before you know it you will get used to it and then when a little drama resurfaces you will wonder how you ever lived in the middle of that for so long..Happy New Year Dana!

Phfrankie Bondo said...

...isn't LOD a wondermous thing? I suspect that creativity will begiin escaping out of your pores...

Anonymous said...

My sister was on me about being too picky about what I posted and to just post...seems like good advice. :)

Sedorah said...

Welcome to the mundane.

Schmoop said...

The only thing changing things in my world these days is LOS. Lack of Sex. Have a wunnerful weekend. Cheers Dana!!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

See now you are like the rest of us...you can sit in front of your computer for a 1/2 hour wondering what to write...

But you are still keeping us here, so something is coming out!

Unknown said...

I'm making the assumption that considering you are in, or near, Chicago, it's damn cold there, and you STILL had to wear a dress? Good Lord.

I'm sure you will do great at the PTO thing no matter what you decide and no matter what happens. I'm not sure you even know how to fail at anything Dana.

And oh wow, to have a LOD would be so nice right now. Between my two boys, I just don't know how much a mother should have to take, ya know?

buffalodick said...

Blogs evolve.. Let it become a new voice for you, not us..

we're doomed said...

You seem to have a boss that works hard to exceed the expetations of his/her employees and creats a workplace environment that allows the workers to be all they can be. How heart warming!

Deech said...

The Joker continues to smile in your direction...especially about LOD.

Brian said...

Yes, LOD is a good thing. Care to share?


Love the snowfall/tree in the dark pic. Interesting contrasts, almost looks monochrome.

Jay said...

Hmmm .. Well I tell ya what. I think of someway to be really insulting and we create some bloggerhood drama. It's better than nothing, right? LOL ;-)

Evil Twin's Wife said...

LOD is a good thing! I can't wait to read all your good thoughts!

Brandi said...

I'm sorry, did you say encouraged to wear dresses and skirts?!? Do they know what decade this is?

Unknown said...

I cannot imagine having to wear a dress or skirt to work! There was a time I used to do that, but those days are long past! Thank goodness!

boo said...

Fer Nixon's sake! They turned the heat off on you, and still made you wear a skirt? Doesn't that violate some sort of labor law? *shudder* I feel your pain. Good luck with the PTO!

Ken said...

Who would a thunk it?

Lack Of Drama Amid Life's Crises.


This is a good story!

Vixen said...

I think that is a good take in regards to the PTO. :)

I think you will find that your blog will evolve. My blog was started in the midst of an awful divorce and my life was FULL of drama that I was struggling to get as far away as possible from. It's evolved over the past 5 years and while the drama is very minimal, I'm much happier. ;) I'm guessing you are feeling the same.

Oh. And BOO on the whole turning the heat off MID DAY while you are trying to work. WTH!?