20 January 2010

It Isn't Easy Being Green


~*~*~

Growing up in Seattle, I've always had tree hugger roots. Get it? Tree hugger ROOTS? I can hear the collective groan as y'all read this.

Anyway, that part of the country has always been a little more aware of the environment and our impact on it. Maybe it's the fact that Washington has it's very own rain forest, or maybe it has something to do with all of the rain causing mold on brain. Either way, the three R's - Reuse, Reduce, Recycle - were drilled into my head from an early age.

As is sometimes the case, this desire to be ecologically responsibility has ebbed and flowed over the years - mostly ebbing the past six years. There was quite a bit of mocking and ridiculing that went on when husband and I were together, and responsible consumerism was one of those things that was often mocked and ridiculed. Rather than stick to my values, I gave in to the pressure of wanting to be loved and accepted.

Over the past 6 weeks, I have been living the life that matters to me. Often times I don't even realize what is happening until I just feel good about some goofy thing and then start over-analyzing reflecting on why I'm feeling that way. It is usually the result of doing something that is important to me without having to be concerned about being mocked. Living the "Reuse, Reduce, Recycle" lifestyle in one of those things.

The other day I stumbled upon an article over at The Alternative Consumer discussing 5 easy ways to be a better consumer in 2010. Now I'll be the first to admit that some of the "Go Green" websites are WAY over the top, but this one seems to be pretty mainstream for the most part, offering sensible ideas and products to help us all be more aware and responsible consumers. Their top 5 (with my sensible adaptations)?

1. Smarter buying habits, as in, Do I really need this? This one is easier for some of us than it is for others. If you don't have a lot of disposable income many times you are asking yourself, "Which of these things do I need most?" But if you're in a position where you are trying to decide whether you should buy the new DROID because you are eligible for your "New-Every-Two" upgrade, or if you should keep your original LG Chocolate that, although not cool looking, does absolutely everything you need it to, opt to wait on the upgrade until your phone no longer works (Can you tell I had that conversation with myself recently?). It's true! You really can text without the use of a QWERTY keyboard!

2. Buy local and seasonal foodsLocal Harvest has a great website that allows you to find local Farmer's Markets and Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) programs. When you buy local and seasonal you not only get better quality, but you help reduce the use of fossil fuels to transport consumables from across the country - or the world.

3. Fashion – I've learned that I get just as much use from clothing I purchase at thrift and consignment stores as I do from that brand spankin' new "Made in Indonesia" shirt hanging on the rack in WalMart. Yes, I do have to commit to taking the time to sort through a lot of trash to find a treasure, but the hunt is part of the reward.

4. Reuse, Recycle – It will cost you a few minutes, but finding a place to donate that old cell phone or that CRT monitor not only helps someone in need, but it keeps heavy metal laden electronics out of the landfills. I have become a HUGE fan of my local FreeCycle groups. FreeCycle allows me free access to items I might need that someone else has no use for, and allows me to give items I no longer need or use a new life rather than a permanent home in a landfill.

5. Product Lifecycle – This one is difficult for me, but I'm working on it. I find that my recycle bin is 80% plastic product packaging. The experts claim you should evaluate how a product is made, where it comes from and what makes up its component parts, and purchase the "greener" versions. I'm working on it.

*NOTE* You can find the entire article [HERE]

Do tell! Do you think the whole "save the planet" movement is idiotic? Do you try to do little things to lessen your impact on the environment? Or are you one of those organic clothes wearing, cloth diaper using, free range chicken eating people?

~*~*~

18 comments:

Kim said...

*wipes tear*

I am SO proud.

Do I believe we should be cauious how we treat our planet? YES!

Do I believe we should follow the three R's? YES!

Why? We only have one planet to live on, let's try to be nice to it.

Oh and where did you hear the lies about texting without a QWERTY keyboard? Don't believe it! You need one!

Doc said...

You are very complex Dana.

Schmoop said...

The whole Save the Planet thing is not crazy but some of the people who are zealots about it certainly are. I've recycled things for years. I never buy new when used will do. I am a simple man. Very simple. Cheers Dana!!

Deech said...

The Joker completely agrees with the concept of recycling. What the Joker disagrees with is the inconsistency by which we all go about it. I mean, what's the point of recycling your cardboard and your plastic when you are still throwing away your AA batteries in the trash can.

And when sites charge extra to recycle your stuff, that is a complete croc in my opinion.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I was active in our local FreeCycle community a few years ago when we were trying to get rid of stuff, not that we needed things. We were trying to declutter. It's great because the people who take things off your hands are SO appreciative.

That being said, we don't recycle here. It's optional and the city doesn't charge extra for it. (or penalize you for NOT doing it).

As a stay at home mom (not everyone has the option), but I don't need fancy clothes, drycleaning, etc. I put less than 2 miles on my van daily and only fill the tank once a month.

Vixen said...

I think I drive my family crazy in this area. We recycle everything we possibly can and I buy recycled items when I can.

We also live in a farming community where it's not uncommon to find fruit and veggie stands along the roadsides. We buy local as much as we can.

Jay said...

What really sucks is this has all be hijacked by extremists. We have the zealots that Matt-Man talks about who think that we should all be driving golf carts around and the crazies on the other side who show up at planning commission meetings and claim that building new sidewalks is giving in to eco-terrorists. That actually happened her, btw. And they really did call the people who wanted sidewalks "eco-terrorists."

That's the same reason why we don't have recycling here. When they tried to add it, those same people went bonkers and got it stopped.

But, I do believe we should protect our environment. We should recycle more. We should use less energy. (Remember, energy efficient windows and other "green" housing products also help lower your electric bill. So there's a personal benefit to things like that beyond "saving the planet.")

We should also spend less. And buy local products. And all that stuff.

Emmy said...

As I asked someone who told me last week that "global warning" is crap, so does that mean we continue to act like pigs and treat the planet like crap? Of course not. That's stupid. I mean, we have ways of not turning our country into a trash pit. Why would we toss that aside because some say the global warming is not what is changing our climate.

That all being said, we do a LOT to try to reduce our impact. I buy reused as I can (books, clothes, etc). I try not to buy stuff with extra packaging. We recycle as much as we can. I used cloth diapers when the kids were small. I try to buy free-range and local as much as possible. I try not to drive if I can.

Good post!

Phfrankie Bondo said...

...common sense dictates recycling...crushed tires into paving material...paper products into wood pellets...the list is endless...

Another Suburban Mom said...

We have to save the Earth! None of the other planets appear to have chocolate.

We do try to do the three R's and I am going to hit that Local Harvest link to see what I can find around here.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

All common sense until you get the nutcases as Jay discussed...

Where we live there is actually no recycling yet...that amazed me

Dana said...

Kim, it was my softer side coming out! And I will keep my original LG Chocolate until it stops working ... or I wear the numbers off texting!

Doc, nahhhh! I'm actually quite simple!

Matt-Man, it always scares me when you and I have things in common!

Dana said...

Joker_SATX, I've come across a few people who seem to have recycling entitlement. I put out my blue tub on trash day therefor I need not be concerned with the excessive packaging on most consumables.

Evil Twin's Wife, I *heart* FreeCycle! I do wonder some times though if people use it as a free garage sale. *shrugs* I just use it in the way it works for me!

Vixen, I am lucky to live in a farming community as well and have easy access to very local produce. We've also got a place where each morning they put cartons of fresh eggs in a wooden storage box with a tin can for you to put money in when you pick up eggs!

Dana said...

Jay, the fringe is always the problem and it tends to put off those who just want to do better than we have been. So knock it off Jay!! ;)

Emmy, I see the global warming concept as completely separate. There are things we know make a difference and we should be doing those things as much as we can.

I would much prefer to purchase free-range (for the health benefits) but just can't swing it financially.

Phfrankie Bondo, I'm a huge fan of recycled glass tiles and bamboo flooring - both things that just make sense!

Dana said...

Another Suburban Mom, Ha! That comment chocolate comment made me laugh! I know you and Hubman have really changed your eating habits. I'd certainly advocate for looking into a CSA program - they are wonderful!

Bond, did you call Jay a nutcase? We have no recycling at our apartment complex although the local trash company does offer recycling. I am currently saving all of my recyclables and bringing them into work once a week as one of my co-workers has agreed to put them in his recycling for me!

we're doomed said...

There is nothing wrong with the three Rs. I laugh when people talk about "saving the planet". I think the planet has been around for a couple billion years. I think planet earth can do just fine without our help. It has done just fine without us for years. What I think people are trying to do is save themselves. A self-serving job for sure.

Real Live Lesbian said...

Our podunk garbage company is just now starting to "offer" recycling....for an extra $15/month. Double the current rate. We'll continue to take things to the local recycling place.

I've used Freecycle to get rid of stuff that I couldn't make a buck off of on craigslist and accepted stuff too!

Next thing you know, I'll be wearing birkenstocks and eating granola...

Jeff B said...

Being a west coaster, I grew up recycling and I guess I assumed every state had some type of program for it. I was surprised to read Jay and Bond's comments that they don't have recycling where they are at.