06 January 2010

Ignorance Isn't Bliss

~*~*~

I sometimes wonder what gift it is that people have that allows them to deal so well with ignorant people. All I know is that I don't have that gift. My solution? Grab them by the shoulders and shake them forcibly until the common sense settles in. Not surprisingly, people aren't usually receptive to that type of coercion.

I joined Cam's middle school PTO in hopes of eliciting change. I have always been one of those people who believes if you want the right to complain, you better roll up your sleeves and be willing to put in the work to address your complaints. Nothing frustrates me more than sideline parents - the ones who are quick to point out what they feel is wrong but when you give them an opportunity to be a part of the solution, they tell you why someone else should fix it.

There have been significant demographic changes in Cam's school the past three years. His first year there the school was still a middle school/high school (grades 6-12) with about 100 kids per grade level. When the district opened the new high school last year, they also adjusted the attendance boundaries for the middle school, pulling in kids from nearby, less rural communities. The face of the school changed drastically. What was once a student population that was 98% white is now a student population that is roughly 30% Hispanic - many of those households primarily Spanish speaking.

I saw this as a good thing - the lack of diversity in this area has always been a concern of mine. Unfortunately, the majority of the membership of the PTO (parents of that original 98% white student population) are uncomfortable with this change.

I attempted to bring in "outsiders" last year as when I took on the PTO President position, but became frustrated with a "core" group of parents (mothers) took it upon themselves to circumvent the PTO process and make decisions outside of the group. I should not have been surprised when that same "core" group took over leadership of the PTO this year.

After a rather contentious (i.e. I called them on their shit) November PTO meeting, I sent the following email to the current President and Vice President of the PTO:

L & S,

As was probably evident in our last meeting, I am EXTREMELY concerned with the direction in which the PTO seems to be moving. Rather than harbor ill feelings, I thought it was best to lay it all out here.

The issue surrounding only the "executive board" voting on PTO issues is HUGE for me. By nature, PTA's and PTO's tend to be exclusionary in their practices. In my opinion, it is those exclusionary practices that make it so much more difficult for us to get involvement at the middle school level. One of the things that drew me to the PTO here was the lack of formality - feeling like my voice mattered - that this wasn't some club for the stay-at-home moms where I just didn't fit in.

Now, I started feeling things changing last year when I was President. I have no doubt that logistics and friendships play more of a role in this than any blatant attempt to "control" the PTO, but the conversations that the two of you (and that often included the principal) were having last year outside of PTO meetings started to, in my opinion, compromise the integrity of the PTO. I know it wasn't intentional on the part of either of you, but it was not unusual to hear about a plan long after it had already been discussed outside of the confines of a PTO meeting.

I will tell you that in the few meetings we've had so far this year, I can't count the number of times a meeting topic was opened up with the words, "S I were talking ..." I realize that the two of you talk frequently - that your friendship extends outside of the PTO, but when it starts sounding like the two of you are making decisions outside of the group (decisions that impact the entire group) and then bringing them to a meeting after you've already decided how you'd like them to go, it feels exclusionary.

Now, maybe I'm the only one who feels this way - or maybe I'm the only one who would ever speak up - but experience tells me that if one person in a group is feeling a particular way, it's likely there are others who do to.

So, what now? I've been doing a lot of research on PTO/PTA/School Group bylaws and voting practices. There is a TON of information on the PTO Today website (www.ptotoday.com). Generally accepted practice for these types of groups is that ALL members of the PTO/PTA/School Group vote after a motion is made, seconded and discussed as long as there is a quorum present. The issue is one of proper procedure for voting rather than allowing only a handful of people to vote (I've attached a copy of "simplified" Robert's Rules).

Ultimately, the "executive" board members will decide, but I want you both to know that I will continue to advocate for ALL members of the PTO having a VOTING voice in how the group conducts business, what activities it supports and the direction we head in the future.

I've always believed the PTO should be a means to empower parents - to encourage them to participate in the education and growth of their child/children - to be a part of the educational community. I hope the PTO continues in that direction.


Let's just say that email didn't go over well. Seems both L & S were offended by my perspective and have now gone out of their way to exclude me from all PTO communications.

Cam has only 5 months left in this school. I'm not making any headway in altering the "elitist" attitudes of the PTO. Try as I might, I can't get them to see that the world is much bigger than their neighborhood and they are really limiting themselves by keeping "outsiders" away from the group.

Is it time to just drop this and move on as it will no longer directly impact me or Cam after this school year, or is it a fight worth continuing to fight?

~*~*~

23 comments:

The Burl said...

I've dealt with situations similar to this, many years ago, on a slightly different front as a music educator.

I "inherited" a program that included a booster organization used to making almost all decisions for the program with or without the knowledge of the director, which was then me. This came to a head when they "decided" that they did not like the selections I had made for the group's competitive field show and "decided" that they would pick the musical repertoire. Of course, that all happened in a meeting that was called without my knowledge and I was only informed of it at my first planning meeting with my instructional staff. Needless to say, there were some heated moments with the booster president and vice president.

I began some serious research and got some great advice from my former high school director: Is the organization a registered 501c3 non-profit? If they are, take a look at the bylaws. There will be very specific information about their proceedures to make decisions (open voting, parliamentary proceedures, etc.). If the "leadership" of the organization is making all the decisions without the knowledge of the body being given a chance to put things up to a vote, they are in violation of their own charter. That means they could even have their 501c3 status revoked.

In my case, the bylaws clearly stated that the DIRECTOR would have veto power over any and all decisions regarding the music program, and could even remove board members given just cause. We had a new, very supportive board in place two weeks later.

Schmoop said...

Well with only five months left in the school the practical and common sense approach would be to give it up. But...

It is sooo much more fun to fight, irritate, and rattle their monocular exclusivity. Cheers Dana!!

Deech said...

With 5 months left, I say drop them like a bad habit. I will ask you this question.....

Why do you need and/or want the stress that is involved with these people? How will you benefit? How will Cam benefit?

If you can give me solid answers to these questions then I bow to you and say have at it. However, if you can't?

I still say drop them like a bad habit....

Karen said...

I am trying to relate this to something in my world - since the politics of PTO and PTA are obviously a mystery to me. It seems like anything in life - those in charge take care of the needs of those in charge. That is great if you are in the "in crowd", but frustrating if you aren't.

Personally, I think there is a very slim chance you will make a change in the next 5 months. You should try only if doing so makes you feel good. I think I'd just walk away from it.

Dana said...

The Burl, why yes you have dealt with a similar situation. We are NOT a 501c3 entity. I made two separate motions (last year and this year) to pursue that route and was shot down both times due to the process being "cumbersome" (even though I volunteered to do the leg work). We do have by-laws - by-laws that were written 5 years ago and have never been adhered to in the 3 years that I have been a member of the PTO ... and therein lies the rub. We have, for the past three years, voted as a group. The by-laws state voting is to be done by the executive board. The new president suddenly wants to adhere to by-laws that have been ignored for the past three years.

Matt-Man, it is fun to push their buttons - to see the horror on their faces when I suggest we have our meeting notes translated into Spanish so that we can become more inclusive - when I remind them that the programs they want to support benefit kids like theirs rather than benefiting the majority of the student population. Practical is highly overrated at times, isn't it?

Dana said...

Joker_SATX, neither Cam nor I will likely benefit from my continuing with the cause, but this isn't just about Cam and me (in my world anyway). This is about the voice of people who aren't being heard - who might be intimidated by language barriers - but whose kids are every bit as important. My community has fought the demographic change from the first day it was suggested that "those" kids would be coming to "our" school. Well, now they are here and I feel like they need a voice.

Karen, you related it well. Those in charge in no way represent the majority of the student population any longer. They did two years ago, but not now. I agree, my antics probably won't facilitate change in the next 5 months as they haven't done so in the past 19 months, and it is an exercise in beating my head against a brick wall.

Brian said...

What is the PTO/PTA situation at the high school? Is there a possibility that these same un-enlightened individuals might arrive at positions of power on the H.S. PTO?

If so, an additional 5 months effort is only the beginning. If not, take a break, join up again when Cam is in high school and test the waters there.

Jay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jay said...

The same battles are being fought here in my area of the country too. What was once nearly 100% white is now becoming more and more diverse and the old power structure is reacting with fear and ignorance.

Nobody ever gives up control without a fight. They're usually scared to death of no longer being the one in charge. Mostly they're worried that the new group who is in charge will do to them what they were doing to everyone else. LOL ;-)

Anonymous said...

Walk away and save yourself from the aggravation.

Life's too short and 5 months is even shorter.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Only 5 months left? Walk away and hope for better communications at the next level. I got so aggravated at the PTO at my son's school, I just wanted to strangle half of them. I even served as VP for 2 years - Scary!

Real Live Lesbian said...

Some hills are just not worth dying on.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

You see, I have the same question as Brian..sure in 5 months Cam is out and in the HS, but these parents kids will also be moving on sooner rather than later and you will have the same exclusionary problems there...or maybe that PTO is a 503c organization and their small minded attitudes will not be allowed

Anonymous said...

With everything you've got on your plate right now, I wonder if you shouldn't just let this one go?

I agree with your perspective and your involvement and your desire to get involved in order to make change, but it seems like you need a lot more time to effect the kinds of changes necessary in your PTO, especially with that kind of resistance.

Of course, I often have a hard time walking away from a challenge, so I understand why you would be compelled to advocate 'til the bitter end. I wish you luck in your future dealings with these people.

As for "ignorance is bliss"? Greg and I were both just talking about this the other day -- how we wished we could just be stupid sometimes. lol

Jinxo56 said...

I understand why you want to continue to be a thorn in their side. When my wife was alive we faced a similar situation in a church we attended. we ended up going to a different church.

Anndi said...

What does your gut tell you to do?

Brandi said...

I would also like to know what the situation is on this fight moving on to the HS. I enjoy a good fight and have dealt with similar situations at work. I applaud your diplomacy in that e-mail, good job! Too bad it didn't help.

Phfrankie Bondo said...

...the right thing is not necessarily the best thing...needs are different than wants...choose your battles, carefully, ma'am...

CrystalChick said...

What you tried to do was both important and commendable. But occasionally, walking away is necessary too. Sometimes you just can't help people get it. Your time/care/dedication will be needed somewhere else in the near future so maybe regroup from this and be ready to jump in to the next situation.

buffalodick said...

We were active parents in our children's upbringing. They are grown now, and you fight battles that no longer concern me. Go in as deep as you like. I worked with the school system, and it was never adversarial.. They welcomed a parent working with them, and not against them- and my sons were the winners..

Vixen said...

That's a tough call. I admire the hell out of you for having the back bone to not only want to make a difference but persevere even when they are so blatantly trying to disclude you and others.

I've talked about how my PTA is and it honestly makes me want to stay as far away as possible from it. Which bothers me, there are times I'd like to be more involved but sadly am too intimidated by the women that run it.

I'll be interested in what you decide to do :)

Me said...

I joined PTO twice. Once when Brandon was in elementary school and it was a huge clique, for stay at home Moms, with money, so I quit. I tried again in high school and all they wanted to do was raise money for the prom. I quit both times. Too bad. I really thought it would be good to be involved as a parent but I was not welcome.

Raquel's World said...

I totally agree w/ Jay. Not many people have the courage to stand up to these types of "bullies". I would stay on just to aggrevate them.