28 January 2010

Thursday 13 - Late Edition

~*~*~

*NOTE* A special thanks to Vixen who sent me bunches of Thursday 13 banners

I've slowly been shifting my thinking from who I am to others, to who I want to be. This brings up thoughts how I spend the greatest portion of my day (at work) and the idea of exploring new career paths which eventually led to this list:

~13 things I wanted to be when I grew up~

1. A Lawyer - I was in 6th grade when I first considered this option. My fascination with law and the legal process has remained strong.

2. A Doctor - Another field that I have explored and dabbled in for many years. While in the Army, stationed in Korea and working in the Sexually Transmitted Disease Clinic, I looked into the Physician Assistant program, but never had the self-confidence to make the commitment.

3. A Musician - Music was actually my declared major when I first headed off to college. When music became more work than fun I decided I'd never be able to make a living at it.

4. A Trucker - I've touched on this one before. Driving is something I love to do and getting to see the country - from coast to coast - is an added bonus.

5. A Bakery Owner - Not too long ago I started looking at bakery franchises - specifically a bread baking franchise.

6. An Airplane Mechanic - When I took the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) in high school it pointed me in that direction.

7. An Architect - I started looking at this in high school after an architectural drawing class. When I bombed out of the Music Major option I dabbled in Engineering for a few semesters.

8. A Fire Fighter - When I was really young (maybe 5?) I started having recurring dreams about fires - being caught in them - and decided it meant I should be a fire fighter.

9. A Chemical Engineer - I worked for a large corporation for 7 years that specialized in innovative products. At the time I did not have a degree and was told pursuing a degree would significantly improve my career path. Nothing like choosing the most difficult degree!

10. A Farmer's Wife - OK, I know that isn't technically a career, but there was a time in my life when I was actively seeking ONLY farm boys to date. Why? Because I wanted to be a farm wife - have 8 kids - home-school them - grind my own wheat for flour - milk my own cows. I still have moments, when driving through Podunk, that I long for that lifestyle.

11. A Paralegal - I guess that technically I was this, for a short period of time. It was supposed to be a career path but turned into a "job" when it became clear that family responsibilities were not going to be shared between husband an me, and Cam's needs were not being met as he was spending 12 hours a day unsupervised. I may revisit this one at some point.

12. A Poet - During my teen years I was convinced that I was prophetic beyond my years and that *my* poetry was something special (Oh to have just a smidgen of that idealism again). I was published several times but quickly learned I would never earn a living with my poems.

13. A Veterinarian - I am convinced that 80% of all little girls who fall in love with animals dream of becoming a veterinarian and playing with puppies and kittens all day, every day.

What you'll notice is that I never wanted to be what I am - an accountant. It was a career I kind of fell into many years ago and one that, when dreams need to be set aside, seems to always be available to me.

What about you? What did you want to be when you grew up? What do you want to be now?

~*~*~

15 comments:

we're doomed said...

Dana, didn't you leave out the photography thingy? I think you have a interesting list.

Unknown said...

I wanted to be a nurse. Still do. Maybe when I grow up...

The Burl said...

I majored in music (composition/education) in college but minored in business. I actually taught for 2 1/2 years at the secondary level before being "lured" out into the business world.

Sometimes I think about going back into teaching, but it would have to be in music. The kids in this class are generally there because they WANT to be, not because it's required. The only problem with that is most of the positions are held by directors until they retire, die, or are put into prison for inappropriate relationships.

Maggie said...

Hmmm...I'd say that you should look up the skills you need for these professions and see where there are connecting points. You might be able to find one career that combines the common themes. Try online.onetcenter.org/ for information on careers! A lot of these very cool careers are totally doable without completely starting over.

As for me, I always dreamed of Patriarchy-approved occupations because I didn't see anything else. It was mostly secretary ballet dancer stay at home mom for me.

And now? I want to be Queen of the World. Or I'd settle for president of a university. :)

Maggie said...

Re-reading my comment, it looked very spammy. I am not spam. I am just sharing the love of Onet. :)

Jay said...

I wanted to be either a lawyer or a sportswriter. Neither happened. Of course I stopped wanting to be a lawyer at some point. Probably because my dad was one.

Schmoop said...

I wanted to play second base for the Cincinnati Reds. I was very good. Although when I hit 15 years old or so, there were so many others who were much better. I couldn't keep up. But, being a writer was my second choice, so I may still make that happen. Cheers Dana!!

Lu' said...

I considered accounting and law but I don't have the patience to learn either. Purchasing just fell in my lap so that is what I do and have for about 25 years.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I always thought if I could get through med school or nursing school, I would enjoy that. I like to watch the disgusting medical shows on Discovery. There are some moments I have to look away, though. But, I never look away while watching zit popping videos. I love them.

Vixen said...

I could totally see you as a lawyer!

Your welcome for the banners. :)

I wanted to be a horse trainer (and was for many years) or a veterinarian. I became a vet tech, but decided that was enough school for me. :)

Dana said...

we're doomed, I've never considered photography as a career choice - just a hobby!

Mandy, I think you and I are paddling the same boat!

The Burl, so you did what I thought I wanted to do! I've always thought if I were to teach *shudders* music really would be the way to go because, as you mention, the kids choose to be in that class.

Dana said...

Maggie, my concerns with many of these career choices isn't time, but rather cost. I don't need to load myself up with school loan debt with Cam just 4 years from high school graduation. I will check out that link though - who knows what I might find!

Jay, WAIT! Maybe you could be an attorney for professional athletes and combine both of your loves!

Matt-Man, that's actually what happened to me with music. I was quite good in high school but mediocre in college. What do you mean your second choice "might" happen? I could swear I read your writing every day!

Dana said...

Lu', funny how sometimes we just end up doing what comes our way, isn't it?

Evil Twin's Wife, I am a medical show junkie too, although I never look away. I was PISSED when I went in for my c-section and they wouldn't let me watch it! Same with my knee surgery *grumble*

Vixen, Law school is tough though ... and $$$$$. We'll see. I might end up being the oldest person ever to pass the bar!

Little T said...

I, too, wanted to be everything. I am a marketing rep. I am in school for criminal justince (that isn't broad) and the only thing people constantly tell me I am good at is writing. A friend once told me that your calling is the thing that others think you are great at but you think you suck at. Definitely writing for me. What is that for you?

Regular Joe said...

When I was a kid I always thought it would be cool to work on a barge, traveling up and down water ways, etc...I still find this to be an interesting thing to do...not sure what stopped me from giving it a whirl, perhaps because I don't know how to swim?? But, do you really have to know how to swim? I own three boats and don't know how to swim, lol...

All I know is the field I'm in (electrical engineering), has taken it's toll on my 48 year old self :)