12 January 2010

Public (School) Nuisance


~*~*~

I have one of those kids that doesn't do well in the traditional school environment. I have no doubt that some of that is due to environmental factors. It would be foolish to think that seven years of single parenting topped off with another seven years of living in an abusive environment haven't shaped Cam's personality. When you add in neurological issues (for those who aren't aware, Cam has been diagnosed with both Aspergers (an autism spectrum disorder) and ADHD - you can read about that HERE and HERE) you've got teachers that struggle, a parent that struggles AND a kid that struggles, for success in the school. Frustrating doesn't begin to describe it.

I haven't always been diligent on my end of things. There have been times when I was so preoccupied with my own struggles that I pretty much became hands off with Cam's education. That hasn't helped the situation. One of the things I was looking forward to with the move was getting a grip on this again.

Cam struggles with organization. This isn't uncommon for kids Cam's age, but with his additional neurological challenges, it becomes a critical issue. Not only does it negatively impact his performance in class, but it makes just getting the homework home half of the homework battle.

Thank goodness for the internet, right? Most schools, including Cam's, have websites now that allow parents to see what homework is assigned as well as checking grades in "real" time. Cam's school also has almost all of his text books available online making homework accessible even when he forgets his books. These tools are invaluable for kids like Cam and parents like me ... as long as they are updated.

In the past, I've had problems with the homework website being updated. There have also been significant issues with the Parent Portal (real time grades) containing accurate information, but when I've attempted to address these issues with the school I've gotten the proverbial brush off.

Since Cam returned to school after the Christmas break, I've made a dedicated effort to keep on top of the homework issue. Each day I check the homework website and save a screen shot of the information. I print that out and hold Cam accountable for completing the work.

Each morning I send an email to all of Cam's teachers confirming the listed homework was done and attaching scanned copies of the homework (this is one of the accommodations listed in Cam's educational plan - teachers are required to accept scanned homework as well as the homework Cam physically turns in). Yes, this is cumbersome, but it's what has to be done to keep Cam successful. When no homework is listed on the website, I include that information in the email I send.

School has been back in session now for six days. Of those six days, the homework website has been accurate only three days. Two of the days there was absolutely NOTHING listed on the website, the other day there were two teachers who didn't include homework assignments for that day. Looking at the Parent Portal, I discovered that Cam had taken a grade hit on all three of those days.

Fortunately, I save all correspondence with the school/teachers and fired off an email yesterday that said, in part:

I have been extremely diligent with checking the Team 8B website daily, insuring Cam's homework is completed, scanning and emailing all homework to teachers when it is due. I don't believe it is reasonable that Cam is receiving reduced grades for items that have been emailed to you when due and/or for homework assignments that never appear on the Team 8B homework website.
I know ... I know ... more drama, but the lack of accountability in this school drives me nuts. I understand that Cam is not an easy kid. I get that, at 13, most kids are getting their homework written down in their planner and the homework website isn't so critical. But Cam is not "most" kids.

It frustrates me to no end that teachers want to hold kids accountable, yet they don't want to be accountable to parents. Yeah ... yeah ... I know ... teachers (at the middle school level) have 100+ kids to keep track of. They make mistakes. They can't give each kid special attention. Blah, blah, blah. I've heard the excuses and they are just that - excuses.

I am a parent who (usually) is extremely involved in my child's education. I have been a member of the PTO for three years now. I regularly communicate with teachers and administrators to address issues as they come up. I attempt to support the teachers and administrators in an effort to promote a united front in Cam's education. I am held accountable for my actions or inactions by those same teachers and administrators, so why is it that they are not accountable to me?

I will be pleasantly surprised if anyone from the school takes some ownership of this issue. My guess is that I'll hear a lot of "I told Cam ..." which somehow absolves them of all responsibility to tell me.

*grumble*

~*~*~

16 comments:

Karen said...

Ok. I ask these questions without judgment, but I don't have children and I don't understand everything about what you are going through.

If Cam has learning problems, why is he not in special classes where his needs are specifically met - whether that is in a different school or in different classes in the same school? I get the private school might be a financial impossibility, but if the public school can't give your child what he needs, they have to ensure he gets what he needs somewhere else. (Then again, maybe I live in a wealthier urban area and there are more services and options available.)

Can he qualify for a personal aid to ensure his assignment are recorded and his homework makes it home? I only ask this becuase my sister is a special ed teacher in a high school and there are many kids with many different issues who get personal aids.

I know that you refer to the limitations of the teachers as "excuses". And even if you are right, if it is the reality of the situation, wouldn't it be better to accept it and get Cam what he needs in another way?

I don't know the answers and I probably don't even understand the problems, but it seems to me if a problem has existed for several years, it might be time to look for a new solution.

Dana said...

You always ask the best questions and I did kind of skim the details making much of this unclear.

Cam is currently placed in what they call "supported" classrooms. These are regular education classes with the addition of a Spec Ed aide. His placement may need to be changed next year in high school. One of the challenges is that his issues are more processing than learning. He has a very high IQ, but his performance is well below what it should be.

Spec Ed services and options do vary by state. IL is known to be a difficult place to get placement outside of the public school system since that requires the public school to foot the placement costs, and the state is currently $6M in arrears in funding the public school system.

I've actually had the "time to try something else" conversation with the school within the past month and it looks like we'll get there soon - I have a January 26th meeting.

I agree with all of your comments and suggestions. The challenge I have is navigating the bureaucracy that is the IL public school system. You know me - I won't give up!

Doc said...

Just from what is listed your complaint seems legit... but if it's anything like where my wife teaches the websites are generally relying on people that aren't all theat tech-savvy (did I just use the word savvy?) to update them... that can be problematic.

Unknown said...

It is extremely frustrating when the schools and teachers put so much responsiblity on the studants, but then the teachers (not all) do not hold up their end of the bargain. And you are so correct in your statement about excuses. I get so tired of hearing them sometimes I want to scream.

Please do not expect my child to be a mind reader when you "forgot" to post something and then say, "well, they SHOULD have known anyway because blah blah blah".

My second son was so much like Cam and I had to fight with the teachers (okay, not fight, but you know what I mean) on a regular basis. They wanted him drugged up and if he wasn't, they helped in no way, at all. I offered solutions, they would say, "We can't give special treatment".

I hope things work out Dana, especially for Cam's sake.

Karen said...

Thanks for clarifying. I am ignorant to a lot and sometimes the little information that I do have makes me sound condescending - which not my intention.

The one thing that Cam has going for him that other kids in the same boat may not have, is YOU. Thank goodness he has a parent is who is not shrinking violet and who will stand up for him and fight for his best interest. There are few people I can think of that I'd rather have in my corner when facing an uphill battle. Good luck.

Jay said...

You know, I know sooo many teachers who complain non stop about lack of parental involvement in their kids education. But, to be honest with you, I find many many teachers who put in the bare minimum amount of effort and time necessary. And, those teachers who complain about parents not being involved then turn around get annoyed at parents who ARE involved. What a hassle. I'm glad I don't have kids.

Phfrankie Bondo said...

...my middle son, John, was much like Cam in that the traditional school system proved inadequate, for whatever reasons, to accomodate him.

Amazingly, he took the initiative to find a federally funded program called SkillSource, located in Wenatchee, Wa., near our home, enrolled, and, at his own pace, received his GED as well as valuable work experience.

Is this option perhaps avaialable to you?

When he graduated in cap and gown and held that matriculation document in his hand I realized that public schools, most definitely, are not the only way to skin a cat...

Dana said...

Doc, I will say that I wonder if the tech-savvy (and yes, you did say that) component isn't at play here. I've been doing some comparing to the other 8th grade team homework website and they are like night and day. It's pretty clear that updating the homework website is NOT a centralized IT function, but maybe it should be!

Bina, I think more than frustrating, it's just tiring. Not only do I CONSTANTLY have to be on Cam, but I have to CONSTANTLY be on the school to "force" them to do what is mandated by Federal Special Education law. Sometimes I just like to have the opportunity to breathe.

Karen, not condescending at all. Navigating the Spec Ed bureaucracy is a job in itself and one that is hard to understand unless you've found yourself in the middle of it. And thank you for that compliment ... sometimes it doesn't feel like I'm doing anything more than spinning my wheels.

Dana said...

Jay, I sometimes think that when teachers (some) request parental involvement, what they really want is unquestioned dedication and an endless supply of Kleenex!

Phfrankie Bondo, you have my curiosity aroused now. You know, I'm originally from that part of the country - born in Ephrata - my dad grew up in E Wenatchee. I'm wondering just where the heck you are! Hmmmm ...

Anyway, one of my frustrations has been knowing that I have no clue what my options are. I'm well aware of private schools, but also know that there must be "alternative" schools that might better serve Cam's needs and I am in no way opposed to that. I just want my kid to be happy and successful and neither of those have yet to occur with him being in a "traditional" school.

I do plan on asking at the meeting later this month for resources and ideas for alternate placement.

Phfrankie Bondo said...

...well, how 'bout a short life story? Born in San Francisco (1954) raised on the Peninsula (Mountain view), moved to Leavenworth, Wa. in 1979, built my house in Brender Canyon, outside of Cashmere and lived there for 27 years. In 2006 I returned to California and am currently living on a two-acre ranch in the Detla, just south of Sacramento.


Phfacinating, isn't it?

Maggie said...

Not that it's any consolation, The Teacher has 100 students and manages 2 after school activities and yet he is able to keep track of them all. I've not once heard him make excuses like you seem to be getting, shame on them! Yes, teachers have a lot on their plates (don't we all?), but that's no excuse for dropping the ball or not even having the ball in their hands in the first place.

katherine. said...

they have a union.

I think if you keep on them about updating the website they will have second thoughts about not doing so...

smile.

good for you for tackling Cam's education over and over

Schmoop said...

Oy...Ryno's Mom and I have the same damn problem. Many teachers do not update the sites. And by the way...it's a private school that has no union. Cheers!!

Vixen said...

Granted my children are in the elementary level but my school has a difficult time keeping their website updated as well. I'm supposed to be able to log in to check on their results of tests, homework, progress, etc. And it's never up to date.

It's very frustrating to me to be offered this but then it's just really not.

I do think it's a good that you brought it to their attention. I'm sure now that it's just you and Cam you are able to be more involved. But honestly, from what I know of you, you are an amazing mom!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Dana...this hits home for me also, as Matt is and was ADHD and though he did well in class participation (when not goofing off) and on tests, his grades always suffered because homework was either not done or more likely never turned in.

I would have loved the option of scanning his homework and submitting it that way.

He was never in any special classes of any kind, we never considered the option (out own selfishness maybe.

The schools were just beginning the homework assignments on the web idea, but it was rarely used by the teachers as it was so new ...that would have been extremely helpful.

I do not consider a parent who is watching out for their child and aiding the school in ensuring that they are completing their assignments as drama...if more parents gave a damn then the schools would be forced to enforce their own rules.

KEEP IT UP

Real Live Lesbian said...

Phrankie really IS fascinating. I'd have kept him and Mickey for a week (when they visited) if I could have!

I'm so glad that Cam has you in his corner!