22 January 2010

Friday Wrap-Up

~*~*~

What a week! It's been a busy and emotionally draining few days. I've had to come face-to-face with the results of my decisions over the past few days, and although there is a strong sense of moving forward, it still takes a lot out of me.

~*~

Monday I had the opportunity to face the results of my financial decisions. Sure, many of those financial decisions were based on Husband controlling finances, but that does not absolve me of the responsibility for those debts. I hired an attorney and will be filing a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

I had hoped to avoid this situation, but even with Husband covering the mortgage, I cannot make minimum payments on my credit cards, make student loan payments AND keep a roof over our heads and food on the table.

It's ironic that, before I moved out, Husband told me, "I could have helped you but you needed to learn a lesson" (I won't even get into how wrong that statement is) yet when he discovered my name was coming off the mortgage with the filing of the bankruptcy (don't worry Karen, I'm still on the title and am protecting my interest in the asset) he started to panic. Guess he had the opportunity to live with the decisions he made too!

~*~

Tuesday was the PTO meeting I was dreading. Turned out my strategy of just getting through the next few months and focusing on the future was a good one. The only little hiccup was during Walk-A-Thon planning discussions. Seems good business sense tells these folks that when the economy is bad - when you are concerned about raising less money in the event - you should RAISE the minimum pledge amount.

I think I may have gotten them to rethink their position when I mentioned that doubling the minimum pledge requirement for participation might just decrease participation by more than 50%. The complete ignorance of the fact that not everyone lives the life that they enjoy is beyond frustrating, especially when they flat out deny that doing something like this negatively impacts the segment of our students who most need to feel connected and supported by the school.

~*~*~

Speaking of school ...

After being called into the principal's office for making a teacher cry AND causing her to lose sleep, I've decided to handle that situation a wee bit differently as well. What began as me advocating for Cam has deteriorated into a power struggle between me and the school, and Cam is caught in the middle.

I am emotionally disengaging from the situation having come to the realization that it really doesn't matter if I am right or wrong, unless I approach this from what the school is legally required to do, it's just going to continue to be unresolved. Cam starts a new term Tuesday and I have enlisted the services of an advocate to attend Cam's IEP meeting with me the first week of February. This time my ducks are in a row ... I think.

~*~

My favorite picture this week from my Dana Does Digital Project 365 blog??


Have a great weekend everyone!

~*~*~

11 comments:

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

FIRST....I am FIRST!!! I am never the first commenter anywhere!!!

OK, enough about me LOL

I was able to avoid the Chapter 7 - but only because I went to each creditor, explained my situation and asked that they help. It seems once Citibank came on board the others fell into line.

Has it been easy...heck NO...but so far so good.

If anyone knows a nice guy in NJ I can give you my ex's number and then maybe I can get out of the largest payment each month...the one to her!

The school situation...you are probably doing the correct thing. Let the advocate advocate and you distance yourself. If the advocate sees the school not doing their share, then it takes the onus off of you

Karen said...

Having the advocate take care of things is so smart. Not that you are not capable, but he/she will not have the emotional attachment that you have.

I am surprised that you can separate your financial interests from that of your husband in bankruptcy. As long as you are talking to an attorney, you will be protected. I don't find bankruptcy to be such a stigma. The sooner you get it done, the soon you can start rebuilding. Good luck!

Jinxo56 said...

You have had some tough decisions and you are approaching them very sensibly. Best wishes for the future.

Anonymous said...

Good luck in dealing with those issues.

ps. I like that photo. Very nice b/w.

Aunt Becky said...

You're taking care of business, love. Good work.

Leann said...

I found you through Jules.

Hang in there. I know how difficult things can be as a single parent.

Blessings to you my dear.

Leann

Real Live Lesbian said...

I'm lovin' the ice crystals! Beautiful!

One foot in front of the other. :) Hang in there, Sweets!

we're doomed said...

I think it's great you will have an advocate to make sure your school is giving Cam the educational opportunities that they are legally required by state and federal law to offer. My opinion from reading your blog is that they are not. You will find/know that just because some of the teachers and the principal and the superintendant have higher degrees. They might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer so to speak.

Schmoop said...

That is a good pic Dana. Good luck with everything. Cheers!!

buffalodick said...

A lot to deal with, that's for sure..

Another Suburban Mom said...

There is a lot on your plate and I wonder that as an accountant you feel the financial issues more deeply as it is supposed to be an area of expertise for you.

I would take Bond's advice. The creditors want their money, they might be willing to work with you if that means they are going to get it.