12 May 2009

TMI Tuesday #186

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TMI Tuesday

1. Which traits from your parents do you see in yourself?

Gahhh! Really? Let me see ...

I definitely have my father's stubbornness persistence and was lucky enough to "inherit" his love of writing. My mom? This is a little more difficult as I am far more like my father, but I would say her sense of justice and her wanderlust.

2. Which traits from you/your partner do you see in your children (if you don't have kids, which would you like to see)?

I must say that Cameron is proof that nature, not only nurture, plays a critical role in who we all become. He has his father's charisma (which terrifies me at times) and he has my love of numbers and creativity.

3. How did you get the birds-and-bees talk?

I don't know that I ever did - at least not from my parents. I think the only time I ever even formally got the basics was 6th grade health - and that was very basic. I do remember the family vacation we took that summer though. When walking through the Grand Canyon I exclaimed, "I'm so hot I could ejaculate!" The horror on my parents faces was priceless! I guess I was a bit confused on that definition.

4. What was your favorite childhood book?

I have two! Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are and S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders, which, coincidentally, Cam is currently reading in his literature class.

5. What is your favorite piece of erotic literature?

Do I earn bonus points if I say Ms. Inconspicuous' blog? This might come as a surprise, but other than the "Reader's Forum" column in my mom's Playgirl magazines (if she only knew how much of an education I received from her naughty drawer), I've never read much erotica ... until I found the virtues of sex bloggers.

Bonus: What is the one thing you wish you could go back and tell yourself as a child?

My 6th grade teacher introduced me to Shel Silverstein. Each day, he would write one of Silverstein's poems on the blackboard. Although I identified with many of them, there was one in particular that I wish I had heard as a very young child:

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child.
Listen to the don'ts.
Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts.
Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me...
Anything can happen, child.
Anything can be.”

~ Shel Silverstein

Double Bonus: If your life were a book or movie, what would the title be?

Well, "Amid Life's Crises" of course!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

16 comments:

Schmoop said...

Shel Rocks. Cheers!!

captain corky said...

I'm a big fan of the Outsiders myself. I even read the book once or twice.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I love the "I'm so hot, I could ejaculate!" line. I'm sure your parents wanted to just pass out hearing that! LOL.

none said...

I asked where babies came from when I was about 5, my mother picked up a medical book and explained it to me in scientific terms.

Needless to say, I had no idea what any of those words meant.

Another Suburban Mom said...

I love your answers. I never read S.E. Hinton's books, even though I loved to read, but I did see the movie and cried when Johnny died in the end.

Real Live Lesbian said...

Try The Beauty Chronicles by A. N. Roquelaure aka Anne Rice.

Rowr!

Jay said...

What is this "birds and bees" talk so many people talk about. I've never heard of any such thing. ;-)

The Outsiders is cool. I never got into poetry though, so I don't really know Shel.

Unknown said...

You're #3? How hilarious!!!!! I can just imagine it, and if I had said that, my mother would have slapped me down not caring that I had no idea what the hell I was talking about! LOL

Now I'm off to read the sex blog!

Osbasso said...

Ha! I can just imagine what my parents would have done with #3!

And what a great answer to #5...of course it is! I might have to go edit my answer now!

Dana said...

Matt-Man, Shel's poetry is so simple, yet conveys amazing depth!

captain corky, you know, I've never seen the movie. I was so attached to the book that I didn't want my mental images ruined by Hollywood's images!

Evil Twin's Wife, what was worse was that there were about ... oh ... 200 people within earshot. I'm sure it was a moment they'll never forget!

Dana said...

Hammer, I'm so glad some of us have gotten a bit better with that, although it's still a tough subject to broach with kids.

Another Suburban Mom, I read the entire S.E. Hinton series - just could not get enough of them!

Real Live Lesbian, can I get that on Amazon, or will I have to go to adamandeve.com? I think our 92 year old librarian would die from a stroke if I asked for it from her!

Dana said...

Jay, you know Jay, the building nests and making honey talk! You didn't get that?

Bina, my parents were so stunned they didn't even think to slap me - thank goodness!

Osbasso, I've been luck so far - Cam has only blurted out things like, "Tell them the story of how you broke my arm," which was almost as embarrassing!

Leesa said...

I love Shel Silverstein!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Like Jay, I am not a big poetry person...#3 was priceless...
Sort of like when I asked my dad if he had polio and when he said no I responded, then why is your third leg so short?!?

Funny thing, I figured out the 'joke' just as it left my lips!!!

Vixen said...

Sheesh! Why didn't *I* think of that for the Double Bonus. DUH! *of course* I would choose the name of my blog!

LOL!

So hot you could ejaculate......huh. I can just imagine the look of horror on your parents face. ROFL!

g-man said...

Ah yes, 6th grade sex ed, which was followed by Drug-ed, to wit we begged the question So we get rock-n-roll-ed next?

They didn't see the humor.