22 May 2009

Friday Wrap-Up

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It's been quite a week - LONG days - beginnings, endings and treading water.

Monday is Cam's counseling night. When your live in the puckies, an hour appointment turns into a 2-1/2 hour event with the 45 minute (each way) drive time.

~*~*~*~*~

Tuesday was my final PTO meeting as President (another 2-1/2 hour event). I'm glad I took on this opportunity, but I'm also glad it is over. Listening to spoiled rotten, princess acting stay-at-home moms, whose husbands are pilots for a major airline, tell me that $250 is "no big deal" to come up with for a trip to our state capital if you "really love your kids" made me want to poke their eyes out with pencils - dulls ones at that. So what did I do? I got myself elected treasurer for the 2009-2010 school year *rolls eyes*

~*~*~*~*~

Wednesday is Cam's church youth group. This one is 2-1/2 hours PLUS the 45 minute (each way) drive time. I went shopping and spent money I didn't have, but I had a 30% off coupon and just "had" to use it. Actually, Cam was in desperate need of summer clothes. With the 40 lbs he's lost, and 4" he's grown over the past year, his clothes were literally falling off of him.

~*~*~*~*~

Thursday? Relax at home? Oh no! It's the last choir/band/orchestra concert of the year. Here's a bit of trivia for you, how long does it take to get through the 6th grade choir, 7th grade choir, 8th grade choir, 6th grade orchestra, 7th grade orchestra (are you getting tired yet?), 8th grade orchestra, 6th grade band, 7th/8th grade band (Whew! They finally combined two groups) ... AND ... a grand finale of 7th/8th grade band combined with the 7th/8th grade orchestra? Yeah ... it took longer to get through than it just took you to read this. Give up? THREE hours, 37 minutes and 23 seconds on WOOD bleachers ... not that I was counting or anything ...

I tell you, there is no end to the tolerance and butt endurance love of a parent!

~*~*~*~*~

And tonight? Well, I've got a meeting with some folks at the church regarding an opportunity to use my paralegal skills in the prison and/or homeless ministries. As odd and out of place as it might sound, I am extremely excited. Not only will it enable me to use that "useless" degree that costs me $200/month in student loan payments, but it's an chance to make a difference for those folks that many of us just pretend aren't there. How often does an opportunity like that come along?

~*~*~*~*~

And just because I can ...

ffi


1. Moving like a hot knife through butter.

2. Born free, and life is worth living, But only worth living, 'cause you're born free.

3. My best quality is my ... ummm ... errr ... ability to let things go?

4. I really don't need any of the gory details.

5. In nearly 10 years, my son will graduate from college.

6. A good fucking roll in the hay is what I need right now!

7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to one or ten two beers, tomorrow my plans include a long bike ride and Sunday, I want to plant flowers!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

25 comments:

none said...

I cannot stand PTA meetings. Those people do no live in the real world. I told my wife that we are not signing up for that shit again.

It's bad for my blood pressure.

Lu' said...

3 hrs. 37 min' and 23 sec' OMG I couldn't...

I enjoy your Friday wrap ups. have a good ride :)

Hubman said...

Damn, I thought I was busy! I got nuttin' on you!

Hope you at least have that relaxing weekend that you have planned.

Another Suburban Mom said...

You are a busy lady! Have those beers and enjoy.

I am not a big fan of all of the fees and stuff schools are requiring.

I am also avoiding the PTA like the plague.

Big Kahuna said...

D - I feel your pain on the school expenses as well as the band concerts lasting too long :-)

Unfortunately the Summer seems just as expensive, with church camps, baseball camps, basketball camps and skateboarding camps for the 3 kids.

Sad part is if they are not signed up for all this crap then the sit and play X-Box all day while Babushka and I work all day.

Real Live Lesbian said...

Whew...I'm tired just reading what you do. You should try a girlfriend and two dogs next go around. MUCH easier.

Enjoy your long weekend!

Unknown said...

Three and 1/2 hours of middle band,orchestra music?? Lord woman, you have more endurance than I do.

I think it's awesome that you are going to volunteer your services like that. I would love to be able to do that.

You are just such a wonderful person. And Cam. Wow! He is turning into a man, huh? Physically and all!

Unknown said...

I didn't think that the end of May (school) could be so busy! But, then, it's been almost 25 years since I had a child in (high) school.

Dana said...

Hammer, I am not a huge fan either as I would say , out of the 10-15 people who attend regularly, I am the ONLY member working full-time, with a husband who also works full-time. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that these families have the option of having a parent at home, but I think they need to get out once in a while and realize that, in our small farming community (with a significant farm worker population) $250 is sometimes a months worth of groceries given to keep THE KIDS THEY LOVE nourished. I like to think I am their reality check!

Lu', I bet you could! In fact, I bet you could have gone 3 hrs. 37 min' and 53 seconds!

Hubman, and that's just one kid! Wait until your hit middle school ... and good luck with that *wink*

Dana said...

Another Suburban Mom, Just to enroll Cam in school costs me $150.00 - that doesn't include any sports he wants to play ($50.00/sport), field trips (the four they've taken this year ranged from $8.00-$27.00) and band competitions (two at $25.00 + expenses). Add in the school supplies, which ALWAYS include bacterial wipes and Kleenex for CLASSROOM use and that free education gets a bit pricey.

Oh! And CONGRATULATIONS on making Vixen's Friday Favorites today!

Big Kahuna, last year Cam had an "unplanned" summer break. This year he is fairly well scheduled, but with just one camp that costs $$. I remember all too well when he had to attend the YMCA summer camp at $250.00/week - OUCH!

Real Live Lesbian, I do kind of like the kid, but I'm leaning towards the girlfriend next go round *wink*

Dana said...

Bina, although some people might disagree, one of the "gifts" I have is to see people as equals. Recognition by ... say ... someone "famous" is no more important to me than knowing that I've helped someone who thought there was no help for people "like them."

I am hoping this works out well!

Sometimes Saintly Nick, I think they do it to wear parents down so we are momentarily grateful to have the kids all summer. It's a conspiracy I tell you!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

My son attends Catholic school, so on top of the thousands we spend for tuition, I also have to provide a nearly $200 "book fee", all the towels, wipes, paper, pencils, etc. etc. And, yes, I am a stay at home mom, but we struggle to get that money together each year (this is the last year, thanks be - and Sissy will attend public school! I didn't realize I could get the same bullshit for FREE! LOL).

I did PTO vice pres. for 2 years running. I would never do pres. Too much pressure.

Karen said...

Class trips in this area tend to be a little more...well, extravagant and pricey. In high school we went to Europe each year as our class trip. My cousin just returned from her senior class trip - which was a 5 night cruise to the Bahamas.

I think I am a little out of touch with the definition of "class trip".

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

That is one long-a** week indeed.

Thankfully Matt had no musical talents! LOL

I did some PTA for a couple of years and came away with homicidal thoughts - so I backed away

Have a joyous weekend my friend...

Schmoop said...

I want to roll around in straw...There is a difference ya know. Cheers!!

Jay said...

There's no way I would have sat through all those choirs, bands and orchestras. That's crazy.

I remember when my sister was in the choir in high school they had separate band and choir concerts. Thank goodness!

We didn't have an orchestra though. We just aren't that fancy around here. ;-)

buffalodick said...

Well, we did all that with two kids.. Don't sign up for more than you can handle....

Dana said...

Evil Twin's Wife, I hope you didn't think I was referring to ALL SAHMs in my post! I'd like to think that most realize the magnitude of finances because they've had to sacrifice to be SAHMs (which is the case for most that I know) - it's just these few bad apples that happen to also be part of the PTO. And yes, PTO President was a TON of pressure.

Don't forget, although you won't be paying tuition, public schools still aren't *wink*

Karen, we really don't have that type of population attending our school. For the most part, the puckies are filled with "middle class" folks - those who don't love their children any less, but still find it difficult to come up with $250 for an overnight trip. I was just taken aback by the assumption that $250 was a drop in the bucket - to most folks out here it is a weeks worth of wages.

Bond, ahhh ... but you get that same kind of parental commitment through sports ... but you already know that!

Dana said...

Matt-Man, why yes, there is! And since since straw is the preferred bedding material, your statement makes more sense.

Jay, it was really piss-poor planning on the part of the school/music department. If they couldn't schedule these on different nights, they should have at least given us performance times. Unfortunately, Cam is in the 7th grade band so once I got there, I had to listen to ALL of the other groups.

buffalodick, I'm not complaining, just recapping. If it was a complaint it would be that although I am now part of a two-parent household, I'm still singly responsible for ALL of these activities, but that's an entirely different post!

Nolens Volens said...

I would be VERY curious as to how the parents would react to ME being the PTA Prez. I'm the guy who gets it done...and everyone knows I don't accept the bull cookies. LOL

Vixen said...

Oh, um, well, now I'm feeling guilty for complaining about *my* busy week. WOW.

I love how involved you are though. And I admire your courage to continue to make a difference in the PTO, you know how I feel about most of the PTO mom's on their uppity horses. It's good to have someone like you in there to call 'em on their princess-spoiledness!

:)

we're doomed said...

Good luck on that roll in the hay thingy.

Autumn said...

hmmm you don't need to stab yourself in the eye, just the prissy women instead. surely with the money they've got they'll survive the loss of one.

bugs me sooooo much when you around a group of people who truly need a reality check! i hear you on the meetings/events thing. so much to do now that it's spring! my boy is almost twelve and is fixin to play tackle football in august...not to mention the young one who starts soccer twice a week coming up soon. busy busy.

i am drinking beer as i type right now. cheers! :)

rage said...

After seeing how busy your schedule is, it makes me happy that our kids don't like participating in extra curricular activities. If they did, I would be hauling them around everywhere.

Sometimes their mom will sign them up for stuff they don't want to do (and won't even ask us what our schedules are or is we're okay with it). She'll just assume that our schedules are open and we can haul them around wherever-whenever. Not cool.

Average Chick said...

That is one thing I don't look forward to doing again living in the country- taking so long to drive everywhere in the first place.

I've already started on the beers for you my dear :) This weekend requires many :)