29 May 2009

Friday Wrap-Up

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I really do like three-day weekends, but not-so-much when the following four-day work week just happens to be the last week of the month and I have to close the books for four branches - rather than my usual three - because one of my co-workers decides she needs two three-day weekends in a row! It will be a busy one today!

~*~*~*~*~

Speaking of work, last week we got the news of a reorganization. I think there was an audible *GASP* in the room when it was announced. During rough economic times, we all know that reorg usually means "We don't want to have to call these layoffs, so we'll call it a reorg and eliminate your position instead."

Now, the powers that be have pinky sweared assured us that this isn't the case - that we are fortunate enough that standard attrition rates will take care of the need to cut positions, however they won't be replacing anyone who leaves ... which means we'll all need to "pitch in" to cover the redistribution of the work load. Oh, and by the way, since we are asking you to do more work (my work load has almost doubled in the past year), we are also letting you know that the cost of your benefits is going up AND we will be by-passing performance reviews and raises this year because you all should just be grateful you still have a job.

Guess what I'm going to do next week? I am going to ask for a raise anyway! This will be the first time in my life I have ever asked for a raise, but I cannot let all of the power shift to my employer. In addition to just a general increase in work load, they have also made me the branch accountant who will be implementing the first phase of the reorg - a HUGE increase in responsibility.

Am I crazy to thumb my nose at their "NO RAISES" policy this year and demand ask for one anyway?

~*~*~*~*~

I want to thank all of you for the discussion on my When Will We Learn post. I know some of you who commented tend to stay away from the more controversial posts, yet you still dipped your toes into this one. I think it was a great discussion - one that, for the most part, stayed on track and on topic. Whether you agree that society plays a role in this type of tragedy or not, I hope the post got you thinking "What can I do now?"

~*~*~*~*~

ffi

And...here we go!

1. It's cold and fall-like in the southern hemisphere.

2. Husband claims he is allergic to tomatoes. I think I'll plant a secret crop of them in the backyard!

3. My favorite health and beauty product is Vermont's Original Bag Balm. It's the best moisturizer for dry skin in the winter and pampers my feet in the summer!

4. I still haven't managed to get on my bike and take a nice long ride.

5. Well, first of all I hate starting a sentence with "Well, first of all" because if it's the first thing I am writing, everyone already knows it's first!.

6. Jay and Matt-Man; those were the cast of characters in a recent dream and it was quite disturbing thought provoking to see Matt-Man, in his layered underwear fashion statement, drinking beer with Jay, wearing his viking helmet - and nothing else.

7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to exhaling, tomorrow my plans include weeding the flower garden, moving a shrub and organizing the garage, and Sunday, I want to "ride my bicycle ... I want to ride my bike ..." sing along with me!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~




23 comments:

Schmoop said...

Disturbing perhaps, but have you ever dreamed of two sexier guys? That was a rhetorical question, don't answer it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I am off to put some balm on my bag. Cheers!!

Real Live Lesbian said...

I tend to prefer..."Fat Bottomed Girls You Make The Rockin' World Go Round!"


Oh you gonna take me home tonight (please)
Oh down beside your red firelight
Oh you gonna let it all hang out
Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin world go round
Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin world go round
Get on your bikes and ride

I just love that last part!

Have fun on your ride!

Osbasso said...

I like the song too, but did RLL just imply that you're a fat bottomed girl?? :-)

You do have some weird-ass dreams!

Lu' said...

I think some employers are using the economy to avoid raises even though they can afford them. It works for me, I am just happy that I am not out looking for a job.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I agree with Lu. It seems like many companies are pulling out the old song and dance of "Be happy you still have a job." to stiff their employees. Ask for that raise. The worst they can say is "No." But, they'll also know you expect to be compensated for the massive extra work load (which is a reasonable request from anyone). It might even make them a little nervous. If you're smart enough to ask for what should be a given, then you're smart enough to look around for a better deal... Yep, that's it....make 'em nervous!

And, I can think of no better way to kick off a Friday than with a round of songs from Queen! :-)

Another Suburban Mom said...

I would keep my ear to the ground for talks of raises and bonuses being given to other people.

If there is talk then ask. If they say no, have some back up ideas like perhaps a performance based one time bonus, so it doesn't affect your base year after year, or perhaps some telecommuting privileges or find a educational (read fun) conference and request that they send you for 'training'.

Vixen said...

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking! Esp if you have stepped it up in regards to the amount of work you are shouldering, etc. And after all...it wasn't you who took 2 three day wkends in a row ;)

Have a great wkend!

katherine. said...

My mama's current chemo has a weird side effect of very peeling feet! The doctor recommended bag balm and it is AMAZING! Do you use it elsewhere? I was going to post about the stuff..and the funny verbiage on the tin.

if I may offer some advice...(wow...what a shock...I hardly ever express my opinion...)

don't ask for a "raise"
use another term so that their "no raise policy" can be maintained.

Call it a "wage increase to appropriately (accurately?) reflect additional responsibilities"

you may have knowledge of what other comparable employees make...good supporting data always helps. And ask for a little bit more than you want...gives you some negotiation room.

you probably know all this...I'm well caffeinated this morning.

have a great weekend!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Katherine is sooooo smart...I was going to suggest you ask for a 'compensation adjustment based upon additional corporate responsibilities.

Have a great weekend...and ride that bike....

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I am never the subject of someone's disturbing dreams

buffalodick said...

The phrase "You're lucky to have a job" never fails to piss me off...

katherine. said...

better to be a smart ass than a dumb ass...ya know?

Vincent's is good too...if you could use actual words from your company's employee manual or personnel memo....

Dana said...

Matt-Man, that bag balm will make your bag silky smooth! I bet Schmoop would appreciate that!

Real Live Lesbian, what a coincidence! I'm a HUGE fan of fat bottomed girls too!

Osbasso, RLL calls it as she sees it, and I've heard rumors that some people like those of us with ... well ... fat bottoms!

Dana said...

Lu', well, I've decided that I might start looking for a job if my salary isn't adjusted to reflect my workload/responsibilities.

Evil Twin's Wife, I like making people nervous, and honestly, I am so underpaid in my current position (about 20% under market rate) that it shouldn't be too difficult to make them squirm a bit!

Another Suburban Mom, that's a good idea too - some "other" compensation if a raise isn't possible. I'd love to go back to school and finish a second degree in my current career field. Hmmmmm ...

rockman said...

Dana,

My wife is in a similar sitution. My philosphy is, if they value your service and can't afford to do without you, they will figure out a way to compensate you. If they truly are heartless bastards and they tell you "your lucky to have a job", then I would suggest looking for a new one toot sweet. They have no compunction to cut their loses and do not value loyalty.

Dana said...

Vixen, I think there is merit in approaching this as "All they can do is say no"!

katherine, I use bag balm in several places - would you like all of the details? *giggle* Actually, it's the ONLY thing that works on a patch of eczema that I have on my shin, it's wonderful for softening cuticles and I use it on my lips in the winter!

And thank you for the wording suggestion!

Bond, yes she it smart! I'm just glad that doesn't keep her from visiting my blog!

And you aren't in my disturbing dreams, you're in the other ones *wink*

Dana said...

buffalodick, oh, it gets even better. Earlier in the week I asked about branches paying corporate for goods/services they hadn't yet received and I was told (by the President), "The big dog ALWAYS eats first!"

katherine, everyone has some great ideas on this. Always good to have multiple lines of attack!

rockman, I'll be updating my resume this weekend. It can't hurt to get it out there circulating!

rockman said...

Good luck on the resume update. A friend of mine once told me that you should have two or three resumes, each focusing on a particular aspect of the job/eperience/education that you have.

Just a thought.

we're doomed said...

Asking for a raise with your "CEO" may be risky. But if you don't ask, they can't say no or yes. Good luck on the pay raise thingy.

Jay said...

I'm currently wearing nothing but my Viking Helmet. Just thought I'd share that with you.

And, go in and make your case for a raise. The worst that can happen is they say "no."

none said...

Yep asking for a raise tells them that you respect yourself and are confident in your abilities.

Go for it.

Leonhart said...

My company, and me, are going through a serious period of redundancies left, right and centre. Only a crazy person would go in demanding a raise.

So, is your company calling a bluff? Or would you be one of those crazy people? Only you can be the judge of that. I think if you have taken on significant extra workload then some form of recompense is expected.

rage said...

I think that a nice long bike ride sounds fun. I like your secret tomato-growing idea as well. Muahhaha!