20 January 2009

... and the flowers and the trees ...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

There were quite a few opinionated well thought out comments on my Birds, Bees and Purity post on Monday - comments that really seemed to indicate (generally) quite a negative association with religion and sex - comments that indicated (to me) a place of judgment.

I need to touch on a few things that either made me feel defensive (as those are often the most important comments) or that hit a nerve because I already struggle with the conflict they bring up.


Let's start this with a bit of clarification on the Purity Promises. Cam and I decided to pick three that we wanted to work on - three that were important to us and our goals. I wrote out a Parenting Promise in partnership with his Purity Promise (not anything that was required by the conference, it just seemed to make sense) and signed my Parenting Promises.

In case you are curious, this is how it went ...


CAM: I strive to keep my thought life pure by developing a habit of prayer and Bible study
.

ME: I strive to develop a habit of prayer and Bible study with my son.


CAM: I strive to watch only PG rated movies that honor God, genders and the gift of sex.


ME: I strive to set a good example by watching only movies that honor God, genders and the gift of sex and commit to communicating with parents who may have Cam at their home our family movie guidelines.

CAM: I commit to having an open and honest Internet accountability partnership with my parents.

ME: I commit to enforcing an open and honest Internet accountability partnership with Cam - monitoring chats and Internet usage, and enforcing consequences for misuse.


This isn't about me throwing Cam under the bus - setting him up for failure - or assuming Cam’s signature on a Purity Promise gives me immunity from parenting. No, this is about setting priorities and goals for my family (that make sense to us and may seem "silly" to you). This is about involving as many positive influences in Cam's life as I can possibly find.

Part of the weekend conference involved a panel discussion - three married couples who answered questions written by the kids. The three married couples included one couple on their second marriage with "checkered" sexual pasts, one couple who each had a handful of sexual partners prior to their marriage and one couple who remained virgins until they were married (and are currently in their mid-thirties, attractive and I'm guessing had many opportunities to lose their virginity prior to marriage).

Questions included things like, "What does sex feel like?" and "Shouldn't you get a test run to make sure you are sexually compatible?" What might surprise you is that these questions were answered honestly - even the ones that contradicted the purity concept. Sex was never said to be bad, evil or wrong - just something that was best saved for marriage. No one is claiming abstinence is the only way, or that you'll go to hell and be damned forever if you have sex before marriage, but rather giving examples of why abstinence should be the goal. Somehow, I don't think that is such a terrible thing.

Buff, one of my faithful commenters, mentioned yesterday that I might get myself in trouble with the "Do as I say, not as I do" lifestyle I have led. I wanted to reach out and strangle him attempt to explain my position. I answer TMI questions based on my past as they are most often “Have you ever …” questions, and it is just that - my past. Although I am open and honest with my thoughts and actions, that doesn’t mean I am always proud of the person I was and continue to sometimes be. I am often ashamed and embarrassed by my past, and for good reason. However, that doesn't mean that I will raise my son from the standpoint of setting expectations based on my past. I just can't. Hypocritical? I'm sure many of you would say yes, but I don't believe so. Hypocrites judge, and although I might set a high standard for my son, I will not pass judgment on his actions should he struggle – or fail - along the way.

Isn't that what healthy and responsible parenting is about? Setting goals, expectations and boundaries for your child(ren), determining (with them) how to achieve them, then "walking the talk" by their side, and with as many helpful hands as you can find? Being there to praise their success as well as to help them up should they stumble? Do I fail in my parenting goals on occasion? More than just on occasion! Do I resort to what is easy rather than what is “necessary and good” sometimes? That would get a yes too! But I each and every day I try to do better, and I expect the same from Cam.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Anyone remember this song? I might have one or two readers that can recall the words. For some silly reason this song has become an earworm for me since I wrote Monday's post and I'm hoping that if I share, it will find a new home in someone elses head!


The Birds And The Bees - Sam Cooke




~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are on the right track....I don't understand the idea that sex and religion clash...My faith comes first and forth most in my life....I have never had a sense of guilt about loving sex....I have made bad choices, but my religion didn't make me feel, stupidity did.

Keep up with the direction....as I believe you said, set the standard high...it is in YOUR approach that determines his feelings of guilt or failure....

And I disagree that teaching about abstinence creates guilt; I think if anything it makes people pickier about who they choose to be with....

Knight said...

The choices you have made for yourself in the past and now have nothing to do with Cam so it isn't even worth mentioning. I think every parent wants better for their kid and just wants to help the child avoid any mistakes the parent might have made. I think it sounds like you are doing a good job at that by just letting Cam now you are there.

Knight said...

and the moon up above... and a thing called love....
Crap. Thanks a lot Dana. *grumble*

Granny Nanny said...

As a parent I chose to teach abstinence AND safe sex to my children. We can only teach them and hope they make good choices. But we MUST be there for them when and if they fall. If they can't count on us as parents, who can they count on?

BTW, I love your writing skills and linked you in my blog. Hope you don't mind.

Schmoop said...

I'm not talking about you in particular but I have always found the following funny...

Why is sex and love separated from each other?

When I was 16, I, at that time of my life actually thought and at the time, loved my girlfriend and that is why I had sex with her.

Does any program touch on that? I don't think they do. I'm off subject aren't I? Cheers!!

Anonymous said...

I don't have any real strong opinions on this. I went back and read Monday's post. I think you're doing the right thing trying to bring good influences into Cam's life. We all just do the best we can.

I don't know about purity pledges though and I 100% agree that pledging your purity to your daddy is a bit creepy. My plan w/ my girls is to keep the lines of communication open and build up their self-esteem. It was my experience that low self-esteem/self-worth contributes greatly to promiscuity as a teenager.

Jennybean said...

I think keeping the conversation open is the most important thing....

That said... I am not looking forward to this part of life!

Unknown said...

I applaud you on this. One of the things I wish I had done differently is losing my virginity in high school. I was very much in love with my girlfriend and she and I both thought we knew what we were doing. Boy were we wrong. We both stongly agree, now, that we were not ready emotionally or mentally for everything that comes along with a sexual relationship. I know that for my part, it was a very confusing and stressful period in my life, and having a physical relationship only added to the stress. I know everyone is different, but hormones are hormones and every kid will have to deal with them at some point. Being a teenager is difficult enough without the consequences of a sexual relationship being thrown in. Good luck with your son. Sounds like hes got a great mom looking out for him.

Unknown said...

I applaud you on this. One of the things I wish I had done differently is losing my virginity in high school. I was very much in love with my girlfriend and she and I both thought we knew what we were doing. Boy were we wrong. We both stongly agree, now, that we were not ready emotionally or mentally for everything that comes along with a sexual relationship. I know that for my part, it was a very confusing and stressful period in my life, and having a physical relationship only added to the stress. I know everyone is different, but hormones are hormones and every kid will have to deal with them at some point. Being a teenager is difficult enough without the consequences of a sexual relationship being thrown in. Good luck with your son. Sounds like hes got a great mom looking out for him.

Jormengrund said...

Um, I really didn't mean to offend when I put out the "do as I say, not as I do" comment Dana..

In reality, I was talking about myself, and not you, but I can see how that comment got misconstrued.

To me, if it's working, don't fix it.

This seems to be something that both you and Cam are interested in making work, so why fight it or justify your position?

More power to the both of you.

I may not agree, but that's because of some personal problems I've had with church and religion myself, and not to color your ideals or opinions in any way.

Best wishes to both of you in your endeavor!

Karen said...

first of all, I commend you for walking this path with Cam. I'm not a parent so my thoughts are hypothetical but I think I would expose my children to something like that program.

I commented that I didn't think virginity until marriage was realistic. Given the fact that we don't generally get married at 14 or 18 or even 24 anymore changes the idea of absolute virginity. It is normal for people of a certain age to act upon their sexual urges.

I am 34 and unmarried. I may never marry. But it is unreslistic and unnatural for me to have refrained from any sexuality in my whole life.

I look at religion and morality in scope of our world...not the world of 2000 years ago when the rules were written.

kim-d said...

...When I look into your big brown eyes, it's so very plain to see...that it's time you learned about the facts of life, starting with A to Z...you have successfully transferred your earworm! HA!

I love the discussions here; it's very interesting. This is just my opinion, but...first and foremost, no matter how technologically savvy Cam is, I just don't think he would be searching for YOUR blog. Yes, it was a long time ago, but when I was his age I just didn't see my parents as anything other than that, and I sure didn't want to know anything about their sexual history. I think it might still be true that, at Cam's age, they concentrate on their friends.

It sounds to me like you and Cam are doing just fine. I'm not saying this is the case, but sometimes the comments don't translate in the way they're intended; especially if it's from someone with whom you are familiar. Then, too, sometimes when people comment, they are actually relating what they say more to themselves than to you. Just a couple of possibilities.

It is my personal opinion that you seem like a very caring, loving, supportive Mom to your son. Your sexuality, past AND present AND future, is something else entirely. We never stop learning, I think.

Take care...

Professor Fate said...

I wasn't around for the initial post, but my response would have been this (even after reading your update)

Abstinence pledge ineffective, study shows

Brandi said...

I read the initial post but never got around to commenting. Sounds to me like you're doing exactly what parents should be doing. I think the goal is to delay first intercourse until they are ready to handle it and then be responsible about it when they do. We can talk all we want about the methods of doing this but really the most important part is keeping the lines of communication open, being involved in his life, and letting him know that he can come to you and trust in you no matter what his decisions are. I think the reason abstinence-only education (and abstinence pledges) largely fail is because it is taught and then everyone goes on business as usual. Without continued involvement of parents and open communication and trust it just can't be effective. Not to mention abstinence-only is leaving them completely unprepared. Mistakes are made and poor decisions can happen, why wouldn't we want our kids to be prepared?

Seems like you're being proactive and balanced about this. I wish more parents could think it through the way you have.

we're doomed said...

Dana, don't let the flat earth society discourage you from doing what is best for Cam.

Real Live Lesbian said...

First, thanks for the damned earworm. (glare)

Secondly, you're doing what you think is best for your son...isn't that what parenting is all about?

Just a non-mother, lesbian, pov.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Yeah yeah...the song is now scattered into ears galore...but hell at least it is a great song!

You are doing right by Cam. I did plenty in my youth that i hoped and prayed Matt would not do.

I was hypocritical when i talked to him about drugs...and yes, I was not totally honest when he asked about my history with them...

BUT...times are different now then when I was a teen...disease is more rampant...drugs are so totally different...outside influences are greater...

As a parent, we set a path and then all we can do is watch to make sure they don't stray so far off that path that they fall into the ravine that is on either side.

Great discussions here as always Dana.

tt said...

Oh good grief!!! Are we on the same plain or something???? Seriously,,,I was humming that song all weekend!! I hum all the time and I don't even know how that one popped in my head. Now I think it was from you...hummmm

there are no manuels for kids or parents. We can only do the best we can with the information we gather. You've gathered well babe. share your insights openly with Cam when you think the time is right. that is something only a parent knows.

btw- beautifully done HNT :)