26 January 2009

And the winner of the 2009 Miss America Pageant is...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Some of you can answer this because you actually watched. I know you did! Admit it! Actually, even I watched bits of it as I knew I wanted to do a post on why I consider Miss America (and pageants in general) an archaic way to determine scholarship worthiness.

If you are old like me, you might remember the days when Miss America was a prime-time TV event. In fact, in the peak viewing days of the pageant (1960's), three out of every four households watched in riveting anticipation. These were the days when Bert Parks was a household name and an entertainment icon.

But now, the idea of watching 52 young women (No, we didn't add two more states to the country - the extra two are for Miss District of Columbia and Miss U.S. Virgin Islands) between the ages of 17 and 24, prance around in bikinis and high heels (That's good scholarship criteria, don't you think?) and showing off their made-up "talents", isn't just bad television, but embarrassingly antiquated in today's "liberated" society.

Mario Lopez is the most recent replacement for Bert Parks. Yes, Mario Lopez who played A.C. Slater on Saved By The Bell. Of course, that was before he really redeemed himself - and his credibility - by finishing in second place on Dancing With The Stars (losing to Emmett Smith).

TLC began broadcasting Miss America last year, and although they attempted to modernize the pageant, they really did nothing more than produce yet another bad reality TV preview, with a lead-up series that had the gals fighting for wild card spots in the big event.

There was even an opportunity to score the swimsuit competition on the TLC web site (swimsuit photo poll) prior to the pageant. Of course, the scoring had no bearing on the results of the pageant, but instead was an opportunity for people to anonymously condemn people they don't know - yeah - we need more of that. The highest score? On a scale of 1-10, 6.4.

Amongst the big hair and troweled on make-up, there was one honest moment in the show. Miss District of Columbia admitted - on camera - that she was only in it for the scholarship money and to get out of debt. If honesty was one of the judging criteria, she'd have taken the crown.

So, who was the lucky recipient of an armful of long-stem roses, the rhinestone crown - oh - and the $50,000 scholarship? Miss Indiana! Go Hoosiers!

Now, I know some of you will tout the virtues of Miss America - it's promotion of community service, the attention it brings to a "platform" that may not be well known, and, of course, the scholarship opportunities. Some of you might even claim that Miss America promotes brains, and I guess if you feel more of the brain can be seen in a bikini, you'd have a point.

Personally, I think any competition that rewards swimsuit appearance, evening wear and "talent" as 70% of the criteria for winning is anything but a focus on brains.

Am I just pissy and jealous of beauty? Well, YES! I've always had to work a little harder, be a little better, know a little more than the pretty girls. Sure, it's made me a better person, but the fact that in 2009, we are still promoting beauty (defined by some obscure media/societal norm) as the thing that can, and does, get women ahead? It should concern us all!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Mondays are great days to sit with Vinny on the Big Leather Couch! If you snuggle up real close and whisper obscenities sweet nothings in his ear - or just leave him a comment - you can win free music! Go! Now! Tell him I sent you!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

20 comments:

JW said...

I guess we should just be grateful that these events are no longer nearly as popular as they once were, either in the US or the UK.

At least it's a step in the right direction ... and perhaps letting people see, via the medium of TV, just what an outmoded idea this kind of contest really is will eventually reduce the supporters to that hardcore of men who lust after softcore :)

Schmoop said...

Damn, I missed all of that. When the hell was Bert Parks replaced!? ; ) Cheers Dana!!

we're doomed said...

Well said, Dana.

Another Suburban Mom said...

I remember when I was a Senior in HS and I was looking through a scholarship book (too early for Internet) and Miss America was pretty much my biggest scholarship option. I was NOT amused.

I am hoping that one day this pageant just dies a natural death, and they ditch the swimsuit portion and have smart chicks talk about what is important to them.

Dana said...

Ro, as long as TLC is also showing reality shows like [Toddlers & Tiaras], there will still be plenty of contestants and viewers!

Matt-Man, I guess I should have posted this on Friday so that you could have tuned in!

Doomed, well ... thanks!

M said...

I went to high school with a girl who was into pageants, and I always felt sorry for her. I think her mom used to make her treat every day as though it were pageant day because she was always ready for judging. The first time I saw her without her full makeup, I didn't recognize her.

But I do have to say that my favorite movie is Drop Dead Gorgeous - a mockumentary about a beauty pageant.

M said...

I had no idea it was even on. I saw in yesterday's paper that Miss Indiana won. Yay!

I think the whole thing is pretty ridiculous, but, to each their own.

I'm just probably jealous too though.

Lu' said...

I don't like beauty pagents, never have. I guess this comes from not being a beauty I don't know. I love a good talent competition though :)which is not to say I'm talented...

Real Live Lesbian said...

My best friend in HS was a beauty queen. They are certainly a different breed.

Makes me wonder if they still coat their teeth with Vaseline to make 'em shiny?

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

These things never caught my attention...yeah, even with the bathing suit competition and all...

I wonder how much longer they will exist...

THANKS for the plug

SMOOCH!

(psst obscenities might work too)

buffalodick said...

When I was in 10th grade, a former Miss America, Vonda Kay Vandyke was a key note speaker at a Reformed Church youth week-end retreat in Traverse City , MI. We stole her I.D. button, as we figured everyone knew her, and would be a neat collectable... Obviously church for me wasn't working...

Jay said...

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some, people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like such as, uh, South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, or, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future, for our [children]"


When I was in college a girl who won Miss University of Arkansas and then Miss Arkansas and, I think, runner-up for Miss U.S.A. lived in the same apartment complex that I lived in.

She was a biology major and after all the beauty pageants suddenly switched to public relations. She then spent the next decade doing commercials for car dealers and other companies on local TV in Little Rock.

It's her life, but it sure seems to me that she sold herself short by dumping biology, and the plan to go to med school, and going into a career that was based on her looks. And who knows what great things she could have done for society or the world in the science field and medical field.

Dana said...

ASM, oh yes ... I remember thinking there weren't any scholarship options for me since Miss America was the biggie and I was too much of a "biggie" to ever qualify for a pageant!

Emmy, there are many people who keep the love of pageants alive and well ... unfortunately!

M, I just wonder what it would be like to have the "advantage" of being a pretty girl. Then again, if that were the case, I'd probably be complaining that no one took me seriously because I was a pretty girl!

Dana said...

Lu, I think it has more to do with beauty being "luck" but talent being the result (often) of hard work.

RLL, I'm guessing they do all sorts of things, from Vaseline on their teeth to spray on tans!

Bond, I always do you right, don't I?? Hopefully it will send a few folks your way who have been missing out on a wonderful blog!

Dana said...

Buff, the real question is, do you still have her ID button?

Jay, I'm sure she got much more public attention from doing commercials than she would have in a biology profession!

Anonymous said...

But see...The reason they don't have a Mr or Ms Intelligent competition is because they would have to let in all the ugly people like me.

....and who wants to see that?

buffalodick said...

We were a team... We ran the "Block and Hock" with me doing blocker, while engaging her in chit-chat- Balls for a 16 yr. old! Other guy kept momento- I hope!

Vixen said...

Damn I missed it. I usually enjoy watching it bc it *IS* so silly. LOL

Anonymous said...

I haven't watched that crap since I was in high school. I remember watching it w/ my aunt and grandmother who place a lot of store in looks (but ironically neither was very attractive themselves).

I do think it's antiquated but I guess if you got it and you want to flaunt it and people are stupid enough to give you a scholarship for something you were born with, might as well milk it. Maybe I would have, too if I'd been born tall and built like a barbie doll. :P

Moosekahl said...

It was on already? Shows you how much attention I paid to THAT one! oops.