11 December 2009

Friday Foodie and Fill-Ins

~*~*~*~*~

Last year, Another Suburban Mom (be careful with this link - ASM is a mixture of mom and NSFW) did a virtual cookie exchange. This year, she's calling it a "Treat Exchange" which gave me an idea. A treat doesn't have to be a cookie, right? It could be an appetizer, right? Right?? I thought so!

This recipe was shared with me by Kell, who just happens to be Jay's sister. I made these for Cam's football banquet about a month ago and they were a huge hit! My favorite thing? They can be made ahead of time, popped in the freezer, then cooked up in just 20 minutes whenever you need them!


Spinach Balls

2 packages Chopped spinach, well drained
3c. (8oz) Pepperidge Farm stuffing (with spice) crushed slightly
2 lg Onions, finely minced
6 Eggs, lightly beaten
1/2c Butter, melted
1/2c Parmesan cheese, finely shredded
3 Cloves garlic (finely minced)
1/2t Thyme, crushed
1T Black pepper
Salt to taste

Mix all ingredients in a very big bowl. Chill briefly. Form into 1" diameter balls.

Place on a cookie sheet. Freeze until solid. Transfer to plastic bags for storage.

Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 325 for 18-20 minutes. Makes about 80 balls.

~*~

ffi


And ... here we go!

1. Good times: I'm beginning to learn what they are again!.
2. For the first time in a long time, it's my home.
3. Sleigh bells ring every time Santa hits a bump.
4. “Happiness consists not in having much, but in being content with little.” ~ Marguerite Gardiner
5. Once more I'm making the decisions that are best for us.
6. Is this really the end?
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to grocery shopping, tomorrow my plans include volunteering at the foodbank and Saturday night church service and Sunday, I want to get laundry done in under 74 minutes!

~*~*~*~*~

13 comments:

Schmoop said...

I like spinach but seeing them in ball form doesn't really do it for me. And...of course it's not the end; it's a beginning. Cheers Dana!!

Another Suburban Mom said...

Thanks for playing. I have made those spinach balls before and I LOVE them. They are so yummy. I will have to send you the recipe for their cousin, the sausage ball.
Only three ingredients.

I am glad things are turning around for you. Have a wonderful weekend!

we're doomed said...

6. Perhaps it's the beginning of the end. Spinach balls?

Would Popeye eat these treats?

Freedom is a good high.

Anonymous said...

Your balls look delicious!

Cheers,
Kim

Shiny Rod said...

They should outlaw the use of the world balls in any food item. Brings to mind Chef's chocolate salty balls. LOL

annies home said...

my mother loves spinach balls and so happy you are finding out what good times are again

Dana said...

Matt-Man, what? Green balls make you squeamish??

Another Suburban Mom, thank you for hosting! You mean I can have green balls and brown balls on the same tray??

we're doomed, yes spinach balls! I bet I know someone who would make them for you if you asked her real nice.

Dana said...

Doc, they really are YUM!

Kim, here! Try one! Now, isn't that the best ball you've ever had?

Shiny Rod, I guess I could have called them rocky mountain green oysters. Personally, any recipe that comes out in bars or balls is a winner in my world!

nitebyrd said...

Mmmmm .... these sound yummy!

buffalodick said...

I don't hear from you much, probably because you are busy.. sounds like all is going well..Good Luck!

Emmy said...

Yay, a vegetarian appetizer! We're always looking for new ones of these. They sound great!
~Emmy

Jeff B said...

I always knew you were a woman with balls!

I'm not much of a spinach fan, so I'll have to pass this time around.

Al Penwasser said...

Does Popeye have spinach balls? And does Olive know? I'm just askin'...