28 December 2009

The Christmas Story Was Just Too Perfect

~*~*~*~*~

Many of you have asked about Cam's reaction to finding the Xbox 360 Elite, Modern Warfare 2 Limited Edition under the tree on Christmas morning. Well ...

Have I ever mentioned that I am gaming system challenged? I'm old enough that I remember how exciting it was to get PONG ... I was 11. I did have the very first version of the Game Boy - my parents bought it for me the Christmas I spent in Korea while in the Army - but my generation kind of missed the whole video game frenzy.

Why the background? I've heard stories of the latest, greatest gaming systems being hot items at Christmas - cat-fights at WalMart trying to get the last available system - eBay entrepreneurs stalking stores, waiting for the delivery trucks to show up so they can grab one to sell for the promise of a first born son some outrageous profit - but I hadn't heard anything about the system Cam wanted having these issues. In fact, I hadn't heard ANYTHING about the system Cam wanted. That should have been a clue.

I was a bit delinquent in my shopping. I didn't know until the 23rd that I'd actually be able to pull this off, and I had to find time to do the shopping without Cam. I ran to WalMart on my lunch hour that day only to find they carried two other Xbox bundles, but not THE ONE that Cam had his heart set on.

Thursday morning - yes, Christmas Eve - I started frantically surfing the internet. I went to the Microsoft Xbox website and visited every single store listed as having THE ONE. I made phone calls even when the on-line status indicated there were none of the systems in stock. No one had THE ONE ... except for Amazon ... and Amazon wasn't going to be able to get it to me until tomorrow, even with overnight shipping.

Apparently, THE ONE was a limited edition system (hence the Xbox 360 Elite, Modern Warfare 2 Limited Edition name). Microsoft shipped a limited number of the systems to each authorized dealer and once those were gone, there were no more shipped. I went through all seven steps of the grieving process in about 42.7 seconds.

An extremely helpful sales associate at GameStop told me he could easily put a similar "bundle" together using components he had in stock. The key word here is similar. It wouldn't be THE ONE. What to do ... what to do ...

Since Cam knew he was going to get this system at some point after Christmas, I let him decide. I called him from work Thursday morning and asked if he'd rather have a similar system under the tree Christmas morning, or if he wanted to wait until Tuesday for THE ONE. I gotta tell y'all, THE ONE must have magical powers because he didn't even hesitate when he answered, "I'll wait until Tuesday."

The good news is that he was still surprised Christmas morning. He opened up his gifts and started to hand over the $150 in gift cards he received. I told him they were his to keep - that we had been blessed with people who love and care for us - and with their help I was able to cover the full cost of the system. Saturday we braved the weather and he quickly spent his gift cards on these *shakes head*


It really was the most magical Christmas we've ever experienced!

~*~*~*~*~


20 comments:

buffalodick said...

Gift cards and cash are great gifts- because- they do the choosing..Plus, they buy more in the after Christmas sales!

Schmoop said...

Well its nice to know that he can now safely walk at night with minimal threat of drivers not seeing him. Cheers Dana!!

Anonymous said...

Cam knows what he wants and is willing to wait for it, that is awesome.

I am pretty sure you made his Christmas, regardless if he says that to you or not.

Kim

Phfrankie Bondo said...

...coming from someone who used to get his P.F.Flyers from the Mother Goose Shoe Store, I must say those shoes are...awesome!...

Bette said...

Laughing at your head shake, Dana...I'm 50 & just LOVE these shoes! The color is great.

Doc said...

Ya'll witll have fun with the correct system tomorrow... See Christmas is just extended a bit!

Brian said...

Christmas wasn't too perfect, just too soon. Cam is demonstrating remarkable patience. And those shoes! Where's the dimmer switch?!?!

Dana said...

buffalodick, in our case, Cam picked out a pair of sneakers that I'd have never purchased ... unless he got a basketball scholarship to a prestigious university!

Matt-Man, funny, that was my first thought too!

Kim, I have no doubt this is a Christmas he'll always remember!

Dana said...

Phfrankie Bondo, those shoes are certainly something! I'm not sure just quite what they are though!

Bette, and here I thought that color was reserved for traffic cones!

Doc, you think he'll let me play? If he does, it will only be so that he can make fun of me!

Dana said...

Brian, actually, Christmas *was* perfect, even with the delay! And if you find the dimmer switch for the shoes, please let me know. I tried using the Clapper without success.

Real Live Lesbian said...

And he can hunt in those shoes, too! If you ever make it down South! lol

Sounds like a perfect holiday!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad things worked out so well, Dana. Heh...these shoes do NOT bode well for me. I'm sure with three sons toying or delving into teenagerdom that shoes you can GPS track from space loom in my future.

Jay said...

I know a lot of people think gift cards are impersonal, but I love giving and getting them. People get what they really want. Even if its an ugly pair of shoes. LOL ;-)

Unknown said...

So our 13 year olds have similarly bad taste in kicks.

Eldest recently bought some very ugly black Nike Air's just like that but with purple and red and with a ridiculous heel that made him really tall. I call them his "high heels."

I did not pay for them though. I refused to pay that much for shoes he will probably outgrow in a week if he has a growth spurt.

So he used birthday money and gift cards. What a waste. :) At least he got a good deal on them. Heh!

BTW so I spent the morning catching up on your blog. I have been so behind. wow! All I can say is good for you and I am sending well wishes to you.

~Scout

rage said...

It makes me so happy that things are working out for you now.

Temper and I got an xBox for the kids this Christmas (it costs so much that it was one of the few gifts they got from us) and a few 4 dollar cheap games. We are addicted to those cheap games already...lol.

Unknown said...

Perfect Christmases, Dana, are exceptional. Have a blessed New Year.

kim-d said...

I, too, like the shoes; the only way they could be better is if they had the little lights that flash as you walk. :)

In reading through your Christmas posts, I was reminded in the best way possible of what Christmas is truly about. I just can't even tell you, Dana, how happy I am for you and Cam...the two of you are obviously loved much by many. I think this knowledge is probably the big gift you got this Christmas.

I also thought it was so great when you gave Cam the final say on his gaming system. After a long time of living in an environment where it doesn't seem like he was given many choices that, in itself, was another gift to him.

I'm just so happy that the two of you had a good holiday!

Jaimey said...

I'm glad it all worked out.

We all have a pair of shoes in our past that later we wonder what the heck we were thinking. When I was 12 mine were a pair of BRONZE boots I STOLE from my grandma- two sizes too big and U-G-L-Y! they had shaped stones on the fold over top. ugh. I still laugh when I think of them. :)

BlackRio said...

Its gotta be a teenager thing because Nick also picked out some very funky looking Jordan shoes with Christmas money from the grandparents. What is it about them shoes?

But I'm glad that you and Cam were able to enjoy the holiday spirit in a healthier environment!

Vixen said...

I bet your Christmas morning was *AMAZING*!