21 December 2009

A Different View Of Christmas - Part 1

~*~*~*~*~

**NOTE** I'm going to spend the last few days leading up to Christmas to give y'all a little different view of Christmas. A view that has been one of the greatest gifts I've ever received. A view that I hope will remind us all to slow down, take a deep breath amidst the chaos, and take a moment to remember why it is we celebrate Christmas.

~*~

As I'm sure y'all can imagine, Christmas looks much different in our house this year. Some of the traditions from previous years are gone (like our family tree hunt), but new ones are being created. This is - in no way - a bad thing. In fact, it's been a gift in itself.

Take, for example, our Christmas tree ...

When we moved to the "big house," we had an annual tradition of renting a van and visiting a local tree farm to pick out a live tree. Each year, Delaney and Cam took turns selecting the tree. We'd load it up, drag it into the house and spend the following day decorating it. These were HUGE trees - between 8' and 9' tall. They were beautiful, but they lacked any real meaning. They were little more than a grand symbol of prosperity that we showed off through the front room window.

This year? There wasn't money in the budget to start from scratch - to purchase a tree, stand, lights and decorations. I was a little bummed, but knew Christmas really wasn't about the tree. Then something magical happened.

My hair stylist's business partner heard about our move and lack of a tree. She happened to have an extra tree, having replaced her tree last year. She "gifted" the tree to Cam and me.

At that point, I was thinking I'd just decorate the tree without lights. Lights are probably one of the more expensive decorating items for the tree, but not (IMHO) a necessary accessory. Then I mentioned to a co-worker that I was without lights for my tree. Seems she and her husband changed their color scheme on their tree this year and they had a bunch of white and red lights sitting in a bag in their garage waiting for trash day. She ran home at lunch and brought them in for me.

Now I had a tree and lights, but no decorations. I stopped at the "local" Dollar Store (I live in the puckies, remember? Local is 12 miles away) and gave myself a $20 budget for decorations. I used up $5 on a tree skirt, but got plenty of decorations for the remaining $15. Cam and I took a chunk out of Saturday and decorated our tree.



I have to tell you guys, this is one of the most beautiful Christmas trees I've ever seen! It's not a 9' symbol of prosperity that we show off through the front room window, but rather a 5' symbol of community and the true Christmas spirit!

~*~*~*~*~

24 comments:

Phfrankie Bondo said...

...the cockles of my heart, they are getting warmed!...

Anonymous said...

You're tree is beautiful Dana!

And a beautiful symbol of a new start!

Linda said...

Beautiful tree. Merry Christmas

Deech said...

And more importantly is decorated with love. From people who wanted to do for you, not feel that they needed to do for you.

That is where Christmas starts...from the heart!

I will tell you that I would love to be a fly on the wall to see what was happening at the old house....

...just sayin....

Karen said...

Beautiful tree. And wonderful circumstances of how it came together. It is always amazing how the universe makes things work. But let me be the one to ask the blunt question - Why couldn't you take some of the lights and decorations from the house? Don't you have any sentimental ornaments or decorations that you would want to keep?

Doc said...

I'm with Karen.... shouldn't some of the decorations come with you?

Dana said...

Phfrankie Bondo, I'm not so sure Christmas is the time to be warming your cockles on *my* blog!

Kim, thank you! I like it!

Linda, thank you! And Merry Christmas to you too!

Dana said...

Joker_SATX, trying to grasp the concept that people are pitying us, but rather they are grateful that they can help, has been quite a process in itself.

There is no tree - no holiday decorating at the old house ... at least there wasn't as of last Thursday.

Karen, at this point, I want to keep as much distance from the old house as possible for a couple of reasons. First, I don't want to put myself in a position where husband feels like he is doing me a favor and second, I don't want to engage in any more discussions surrounding what problems Cam and I have (it happens every time there is any contact).

I Will, if/when we decide to officially end the marriage, go back and get those things that have sentimental value. Now just was not the time.

Doc, they will ... eventually ...

You guys have to remember the circumstances that motivated me to leave when considering these things. There is a safety component involved here and getting out was critical. I wasn't considering getting Christmas decorations - just hoping to get our basic needs met!

rage said...

What a pretty tree Dana!

Real Live Lesbian said...

It IS a beautiful tree...for so many reasons. Congrats on seeing the truth in Christmas!

Jay said...

Nice tree. I gave offered an old tree to a neighbor a couple of years ago, she had just gotten one, but knew someone who was spending her first Christmas away from home and didn't have a tree. So, I gave the tree to that person. I think I was even happier about it than her daughter was, and she was pretty excited to have a tree.

CrystalChick said...

Pretty tree. Merry Christmas. Hope you have a good new year!

we're doomed said...

A wonderful Christmas story, Dana.

Dana said...

rage, Thank you! It's simple, but kind of classic!

Real Live Lesbian, that truth was clouded with pride, selfishness and fear. It's good those things lifted for a bit!

Jay, I know the giving side of things fairly well - it's a position I've (fortunately) been in for most of my life. This year? I'm allowing myself the joy of receiving, but it hasn't happened without me kicking and screaming along the way.

Dana said...

CrystalChick, the new year will be full of opportunity ... and I can't wait!

we're doomed, and there are more wonderful Christmas stories!

Jeff B said...

That's a nice way to happen by a tree.

On a side note, I think this is the first time I've heard you refer to "the husband" by his given name.

kim-d said...

Dana, I think that is one of the best trees I've ever seen. And what's even better is that you've allowed people to care about you and do what they can because they truly want to!

I hope that you and Cam have the Merriest of Christamases ever, full of the things that really matter.

Vixen said...

What a *beautiful* tree. :)

Unknown said...

I think that is a BEAUTIFUL tree. No question. Your story really warmed my heart. I bet you will enjoy this tree more than you might ever had those 9' trees!

Jaimey said...

Gorgeous tree! I too am thankful for my community for bringing my tree together. Bit of a different story but still thankful none the less. This holiday season has shown me how kind and generous my community- both online and IRL can be. Its truly a blessing. hugs and blessings! Congrats on everything.

Schmoop said...

Nice tree, and if it makes you feel better, our tree is only 4 feet tall. Cheers Dana!!

buffalodick said...

Glad you were able to do this... The things you care about are more valuable, anyway...

Brandi said...

It made me smile to read your tweets about the bits and pieces of this coming together. It's what Christmas used to be about before everyone got swept up in gifts and showing off.

Anonymous said...

Oh how awesome.

Makes it even more special.