18 December 2009

Friday Wrap-Up

~*~*~*~*~

Soooo ... do you ever have one of those days ... months ... YEARS ... where you feel like you just can't catch a break? Where you are really, REALLY trying to do the right things and then another challenge comes your way?

Last night, on the way to family night at Cam's school, we had an up close and personal meeting with one of Rudolph's cousins (not to worry kids, I didn't take out any of Santa's reindeer, your gifts should still be there on time). You know the saying, "She looked like a deer caught in the headlights"? Well, we had a deer ... caught in the headlight.

I saw the doe hit the passenger side - Cam had a really good view ...



... and then listened to her wrap around the side of the car ...


Rumor has it she was given the death penalty for her actions. I was talking about hitting a deer when one of my co-workers confirmed my "kill". He saw her on his way into work this morning.

In the grand scheme of things this was a "minor" deer collision. I've seen cars totaled - and people killed - from collisions with deer.

The good news? Cam and I weren't hurt, although we were both a little shaken up.

The bad news? My car is 12 years old and has - or had - a Blue Book value of about $1400. I was carrying full coverage on the car until LAST WEEK when I decided it was really silly to be paying close to $1000 a year for full-coverage insurance on a car that was barely worth that. Yeah ... it's been one of those years ...

~*~

Cam has had a rough week at school which means I've had far too many phone calls and emails from the school. Most of the issues have been ... well ... IDIOTIC! For example, he and a female classmate were acting up in class. The girl crumpled up a piece of paper and flung it hitting Cam in the head. Cam grabbed it and threw it back hitting her in the chest and said, "I really wasn't aiming for your boob." Want to know what zero tolerance policies call that? SEXUAL HARASSMENT. Yes ... I'm serious.

I just got an email from the vice principal saying we need to schedule another meeting, and I explained that, although I support the efforts of the school, I will NOT sit in another meeting, listening to teachers tell me that Cam is disruptive, not completing work in class, a frustration for them and other students, then offer up the same solutions that didn't work the last time.

Although I'm not looking forward to all of Cam's unsupervised free time over the next two weeks, *I* need a break from all of the ridiculousness.

~*~

And...here we go!


1. No, we will NOT hang your Grinch boxers from the Christmas tree and call them a decoration.
2. Many of the world's problems have been solved with Christmas cookies and eggnog at the old kitchen table.
3. I watched the steam rising from the hot cup of coffee (or tea) and thought: a shot of Bailey's would be really good in this.
4. Everyone keeps telling me it's going to be okay. (Most days, I believe them)
5. I'll take "Sexual Practices of the South American Amphibian" for $100 Pat.
6. No, deer hair is not a desirable car accessory, at least from my point of view.
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to decorating my Christmas tree (seems I was artificial tree assembly challenged), tomorrow my plans include baking sugar cookies and going to a Christmas party that could get me in trouble and Sunday, I want to get laundry done early and spend the day watching sappy Christmas movies!

~*~*~*~*~

12 comments:

Jay said...

I hit a deer once. Well, actually the deer hit me. I was driving along, minding my own business when I suddenly saw a deer running along side my car. Then she just turned right into my car an when I hit the breaks she slid across the hood. Then she got up and ran away. Damn bitch. Tore up the front end of my car and I didn't even get any venison steaks out of it.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

So glad neither of you were injured...

Have a wonderful Christmas I will admit my idiocy...I never asked fro your new address so I could send you a card this year...

forgive me?

Doc said...

I am glad you all werent hurt either.. Deer are more prevelent these days because so few hunters are out there to thin the herds... We need more hunters!!

Deech said...

I am glad to here that you and Cam were not seriously hurt.

I would have gone back and picked up the deer. Time for a little bit of Venison for Christmas.

Karen said...

I was also in a car that hit a deer once. It was a big SUV and it was totaled. Glad there were no injuries - expect to the deer.

My sister was subpoenaed to testify in court today because a boy in her class threatened another student with a pair of safety scissors. Those things can barely cut paper and they pressed assault charges. School are overzealous because they don't want to be sued.

Anonymous :) said...

I'm just trying to think about how I'd feel if a guy threw something at me and mentioned my boobs while I was at work. I'm not sure about that one.

Jeff B said...

Damn! You go Bambi slayer.

Vixen said...

God. At least your car is still drivable! We live in a very 'wildlife heavy' area and like you said- I have seen cars totaled, people injured.....very bad things resulting from deer/elk.

Sorry to hear about the issues with Cam. I would imagine the xmas break would be a nice kind of relief from school drama.

Schmoop said...

Glad you're okay and by the way, Grinch Boxers make wonderful tree decorations. Cheers Dana!!

Brandi said...

haha Jay, a deer hit my car too once, in pretty much the same scenario! I saw it in plenty of time, braked, and it hit the front side of my car and then took off in the other direction. If I hadn't braked it would've come through my driver's side window. Scary.

buffalodick said...

Only hit two deer living in the Land of Deer- Michigan! One with a 30-06, the other with a 12 gauge.. What is a car's caliber? 4,000 ? Hope you get the meat, to offset the car's value..

rage said...

I am glad that you and Cam are okay. Those things can do some massive damage to cars and trucks I've heard.