15 December 2009

WWC - 1/2 Portion

~*~*~*~*~



You, too, can join WWC. You'll find information over at Jay's place, on Facebook or on Flickr.

This week’s words are Americana and Sports. I was going to attempt to dazzle you with an excuse as to why I have absolutely NOTHING for sports, but then remembered y'all are too smart for that kind of nonsense. Bottom line? I remembered WWC Sunday morning and had no photo opps for sports.

There are times when I hate living in such a small town - the Post Office incident comes to mind - and other times that I absolutely wouldn't live anywhere else. This town is the epitome of Americana, from the acres of farm land (*NOTE* These first three pictures are not mine but ones I found when doing a Google image search - all are local) ...


... to the water towers ...


... to the institution of the local drive in that doesn't take debit or credit cards, but will gladly accept your check ...


Due to the move and the absence of laundry facilities in my 6-plex, I've been spending Sunday mornings in the laundromat. Now, I've seen some pretty hi-tech laundromats in bigger cities, but ours? Well, it's purely Americana, from the simple rows of washers and dryers, half of which have little notes with "OUT OF ORDER" scrawled on them (*NOTE* These pictures are mine, taken with my handy-dandy cell phone camera)


... to the Suds 'n Such machine that includes a box of Borax as one of the $0.50 options ...


... and the row of wood chairs recovered from the bowling alley that closed down almost 10 years ago ...


And if you have a few minutes, and are lucky enough to catch the barber during the five hours he works each week, you can run next door and have Jim attend to your needs!



~*~*~*~*~

7 comments:

Doc said...

Im thinking that paw print is kind of puny on that watertower... they could have gone bigger.. LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh so those things are water towers? Interesting...nice pics, Dana

Real Live Lesbian said...

For a minute there...I thought you'd gone to a tractor pull! Big fun!!! ;)

Jay said...

Yeah, small towns do Americana really well. That's cause they're "real Americans." LOL ;-)

Seriously though, there isn't anything much more "Americana" than small towns. Especially locally owned business around a small town square.

Schmoop said...

Oh how I love to dip me some chicks. Cheers Dana!!

Jeff B said...

For some reason, I have the theme from Cheers running through my head. "Where everybody knows your name..."

rage said...

The top picture makes me think of home, even though I didn't grow up on a farm.