26 December 2009

A Different View Of Christmas - The Conclusion


~*~*~*~*~

**NOTE** This is the fourth and final part of my Christmas series where I share with y'all a little different view of Christmas. A view that has been one of the greatest gifts I've ever received. A view that I hope will remind us all to slow down, take a deep breath amidst the chaos, and take a moment to remember why it is we celebrate Christmas.

~*~

When I think about what has happened over the past three weeks - the changes - the upheaval - the unspoken promise of a brighter future - I experience a full range of emotions. When I think about the people who have stood by me, when they had every right to walk away throwing their hands up in the air, I am overcome with emotion.

Christmas was so very different for us this year. There were times when I felt overwhelming guilt knowing that I wasn't going to be able to provide the Christmas so many of Cam's friends were going to experience, yet every time those feelings crept in, there was some other event that occurred that quickly overshadowed that guilt.

One of the the things I did when Cam and I first moved was to join several local Freecycle groups. If you are not familiar with Freecycle, they are a grassroots, nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. Their focus is reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. There are still a few things Cam and I could use that I was hoping to find on Freecycle.

Soon after I joined, my group had a "contest" for a free Christmas dinner. They were looking for inspiring stories from group members. I submitted a modified version of my When it Doesn't Leave a Mark You Can See blog post. I prefaced the story by explaining that Cam and I are fortunate - we would have food for the holiday - but that a "traditional" meal wasn't in our budget. I also explained that getting my story out (one that I believe is more common than people realize) was far more important to me than the "traditional" Christmas dinner and asked that it be published even if Cam and I didn't win.

We did win a dinner - as it turned out EVERYONE who submitted a story received a dinner. Last week a complete stranger brought Cam and me the fixings for a turkey dinner and, while she hugged me, told me how inspiring my story was.

Then there was the biggest surprise of all. I know I've talked about the single moms email list I was a part of for 11 years. You might remember hearing about it when I was having such huge issues with snugs (she had been a member of that same list). I left the list - GAHHH - I don't know - one or two years ago? I remember, at the time, my reasoning seemed logical and solid. Today? I don't remember what "wrong" I perceived that made me leave ... which is quite insightful in itself.

Anyway, when Cam and I moved out, I decided to go back to the list. I grovelled apologized to them and hoped they'd welcome me back, but expected some backlash (deserved). They were amazingly understanding and supportive - it was as if I'd never left.

One of the things the list has done for quite a few years is a "Secret Santa" project. I headed up the project for quite a few years and was thrilled to see that it had continued. I specifically wrote to the person heading up the project this year telling her that if my name came up, I didn't want to be considered. Cam and I would be fine - I dug my own hole and needed to get myself out of it. Apparently, she ignored me!

Last week I received this box ...


... and this box ...



I was just so taken aback. I cannot begin to tell you how many of these women are struggling themselves, yet they got together and did this for Cam and me. They had every opportunity to judge - to decide that I had created my own mess making some very bad choices putting Cam's safety and well-being at risk. But they didn't.

I have grown accustomed to people with harsh words who never back up their criticisms with support. This year I realized that there really are just a handful of people like that. There will always be those who enjoy watching the train wreck - condemning the actions of others - then moving on to the next train wreck when the one they've been watching is cleaned up.

But most people? Most people want to help. Sometimes you have to be strong enough to ask for help and vulnerable enough to allow people to care. It's difficult. The walls are far easier to put up than they are to tear down, but when I dared to do just that? I was given the greatest Christmas of all!

~*~*~*~*~

26 comments:

Schmoop said...

I hope you never forget what happened this Christmas and how wonderful it is when you let people in.

Don't get me wrong...fences are okay, but walls are just wrong and they detract from property values. ; )~

Merry Christmas to you and Cam. Cheers Dana!!

Me said...

aren't glad that people just dont' listen sometimes? Merry Christmas.

Another Suburban Mom said...

This series has been completely heartwarming.

I am glad that you have been pleasantly surprised by the goodness of people. Stories like this always help give me a little more faith in Humanity.

On another note, you should really, really consider turning this into a screenplay.

This would make a perfect Christmas TV movie. Of course in the movie you would get some hunky handyman guy to help you reaffirm your faith in humanity and all, but it is a very good story.

Anonymous said...

>>Sometimes you have to be strong enough to ask for help and vulnerable enough to allow people to care<<

Truer words can not be spoken. Yeah for you and Cam.

Honey said...

What a lovely and inspiring series! It gives hope to others in possibly a similar situation and shows them that there is light at the end of the tunnel so to speak.

I agree with ASM... it does give hope that there is still good in humanity out there. Not everyone is cynical and waiting to judge the next train wreck happening. Those type of people need to remember the very sound words from a wise man "Those without sin be the first to cast the stone." (or something like that - I don't have it right in front of me to get it word for word but you all get the point.)

It's hard to take the first steps needed to leave a situation that you KNOW you need to leave but you have displayed inspirational courage for all!

Merry Christmas to you and Cam!

Anonymous said...

Awesome Dana!

I am very happy and proud of you :)

Kim

Real Live Lesbian said...

What a wonderful series! I'm so glad that things are working out.

You just never know what's around the next corner!

xoxo

P.S. I agree with ASM....let's make it a clogged sink with a hot repair-girl coming by to fix it while Cam's staying overnight at a friend's house! ;)

Jinxo56 said...

There are a lot of good people out there. I am glad things are looking up for you. You deserve it.

buffalodick said...

You got to see a Christmas few have to, or want to see...However, it's closer to the Christmas spirit than most realize.. Best wishes for a New Year!

BTExpress said...

What great Christmas gifts you and Cam were blessed with. The best gifts were knowing that people are kind and caring. I'm so happy for you that it's working out. Merry Christmas and Happy New year.

Alfro said...

Glad to hear that Christmas turned out good.

I knew You and Cam would make it work.

Christo Gonzales said...

you cant deny the lure of the train wreck but I have to say that I have enjoyed watching this transformation far more than any ol' train wreck and the nicest thing is it is genuine and in the true spirit of the holidays. May the joys of the season stay with you throughout the year!

Aunt Becky said...

I've learned and I believe that most people are unfailingly kind. I wish I'd thought of it, because we'd have been MORE THAN HAPPY to have you. I mean it with all of my heart. You and Cam are ALWAYS welcome at Casa de la Sausage. I'm a shitty ass cook, but the company is always good.

Jay said...

It's always amazing how much people are willing to help out when someone needs it.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I also think most people are inherently good and are willing to step in and help out. Especially when someone is doing the right thing, but the right thing is very difficult. :-)

Jaimey said...

Amen! I have had a very humbling Christmas (two years actually) too. It's hard to take down that wall and be vulnerable but so worth it. Merry Christmas!

Matt-man: I am totally going to borrow your words. Very true!

we're doomed said...

Dana, I agree with ASM and RLL. A stud handyman and a hot repair woman would be nice. Hopefully, both would show up at the same time. QCTM

Dangerous Lilly said...

I'm glad to hear how the community pulled through for you, but moreso that you learned to accept it and truly *accept* it.

Something you mentioned in the prior post about realizing that its more selfish to not cash your parents check is something I realized recently too. I love giving, I love surprising, I love knowing that this *whatever* is really cool/needed/wanted and my glee at seeing their glee is present enough. If they said no, I would be very hurt. So I have to remember that myself when my best friend offers his help, I have to learn to stop saying "no, you don't have to, I'll be fine" or "i'll pay you back" when all he really wants to hear is my glee and thanks.

but you didn't detail us with Cam's reaction to the Xbox!! I know, I'm sure he was excited but I just was looking for a little word-movie :)

snugs said...

"I don't remember what "wrong" I perceived that made me leave ... which is quite insightful in itself."

That just cracks me up! I am so glad you went back to the list and of course they would welcome you or any single mom back with open arms! My hope for you is that you listen with both ears to their words of wisdom this time instead of bully'ing and controlling and being so defensive...it has long been obvious to others that your way was not always the best way. I think you are in a much better place now to be receptive or to accept the help that has always been there waiting for you on the list or in regular life...good luck to you and Cam!

Dana said...

Matt-Man, I see this as an opportunity to do more of what I should and less of what I shouldn't!

dlk24, well ... as a matter of fact I am! Thank you so very, very much!

Another Suburban Mom, it's easy to get cynical this time of year - to focus on what's wrong with it instead of what's right with it. I had an opportunity few would ever think they wanted, but that everyone should experience at least once!

Dana said...

better late than never, it was a wonderful learning experience for both of us!

Honey, what's interesting is that I do believe people want to help - people want to see others succeed - yet those of us who find ourselves in these places tend to push people away when we'd be much better off letting them in. Pushing them away is easy - allowing them in is rewarding.

Kim, thank you! I'm pretty darn proud of myself!

Dana said...

Real Live Lesbian, I don't know what's around the next corner and I'm becoming quite comfortable with that notion.

Howard Bagby, there ARE a lot of good people out there and I am surrounded by them daily!

buffalodick, yes I did, and I am so grateful for it!

Dana said...

BTExpress, and so many of the gifts weren't things, but rather life-long lessons!

Alfro, I did too, but sometimes lost sight of that knowledge.

doggybloggy, my allure to train wrecks is one of wanting to help, not one of wanting to gawk at the carnage, but that's what makes us very different people.

Dana said...

Aunt Becky, Casa de la Sausage *giggle* And one of these days I *am* going to take you up on that!

Jay, it is Jay, but they have to know that you need help!

Evil Twin's Wife, I've certainly learned that most people are wiling to step up to the plate and give what they can to help out!

Dana said...

Jaimey, yes it is!

we're doomed, that would definitely work!

Dangerous Lilly, I had a moment where I realized that pushing people away like that was akin to a slap up along side the head ... and extremely selfish!

Dana said...

snugs, I have no regrets in accomplishing this on my own time. I did EXACTLY what I needed to do, when I needed to do it. Following the advise of others who had limited insight would have been even more disastrous.

My only regret was that I clearly blew something trivial way out of proportion and pushed away those who cared.