07 October 2008

TMI Tuesday - The Seven Virtues

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TMI Tuesday

1. Prudence: When do you feel it is most important to exercise prudence? When is it acceptable to throw practicality out the window?

I think any time your words/actions have the ability to negatively impact others, prudence is critical. Practicality out the window? That's like throwing out the baby with the bath water!

2. Justice: Is a sense of justice really a virtue, or is only a tool that allows us to pass judgment on others without feeling guilty? What do you feel is the greatest injustice facing the world today?

Justice is so subjective that I don't consider it a virtue, rather I see it as a measure of "us" against "them." The greatest injustice facing the world today? I'm going to keep this local and a bit political as there are far too many injustices in the world to limit it to one. I'd say, in this country, it is the "socialization" of America - the complete and total deviation from the words/intent of our founding fathers. The sense of entitlement many here seem to feel and the intrusion of our government into everything from health care to personal relationships.

3. Temperance: All things in moderation. Should we allow ourselves a few excesses? How well do you restrain yourself when faced with your deepest desires?

Temperance is NOT my virtue. Moderation is 2-1/2 times a four-letter word! I may be restrained when facing my deepest desires, but hopefully I won't be restraining myself *wink*

4. Courage/Fortitude: How well do you confront fear and uncertainty, or intimidation? Does facing the little things make you as brave as facing the big things?

Intimidation? I confront it quite well. Fear and uncertainty, not so well. Fear is what holds me back in most every aspect of my life. Fear of failure - fear of being vulnerable - fear of appearing foolish. And yes, the only way to be able to show bravery in the big things is to first exhibit it with the little things, for the little things for one may be the big things for another.

5. Faith: Is it important to have faith? How steadfast are you in your core beliefs? Do your core beliefs equate to faith in something?

Faith ... hmmmm ...

I think it is important to have faith in oneself. Faith in a God or higher power? I struggle with that one. I am fairly steadfast in my core beliefs, but as I get older I find that those core beliefs are mine and mine alone, and should not be "forced" on anyone else, nor used as a measurement tool of "good" and "evil." My core beliefs most closely equate to faith in the golden rule - Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.

6. Hope: Does having hope for the future help you deal with the present? How good are you at finding the good in the bad? What is the thing you hope for most?

Hope in the future is what gets me out of bed every morning and I've always been one who believes there is always some good in any perceived bad. In fact, I would say that sometimes I am too much that way - finding the good when I really need to acknowledge the bad.

What do I hope for most? A happy, healthy son who finds his place in this world and enjoys every moment of it!

7. Love/Charity: How easy is it for you to give selfless, unconditional, and voluntary loving-kindness? How easy is it for you to receive selfless, unconditional, and voluntary loving-kindness?

I am far better at giving loving-kindness than I am at receiving it, although I am working on that particular skill. It's difficult to receive when you don't feel "deserving" - always wondering what the other person wants because they can't possibly be doing it just to see you happy.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


26 comments:

Another Suburban Mom said...

Oooh, I'm first to stroke you! Does that mean I get extra time to rub your tired shoulders and back? Perhaps work on those knots in your legs?

I loved your answers, especially the one about moderation being 2.5 times a four letter word.

we're doomed said...

Our founding fathers and miss manners would be very proud of you. You understand what it means to be an American. And to be a human being.

Lu' said...

I like HOPE and your wish for your son.

Real Live Lesbian said...

Someday....someday soon, I hope, you'll see that there really are people in this world who don't want anything. Just like you want the best for Cam and hope his life is easy, I hope the same for you!

Schmoop said...

I echo RLL's comment. For two reasons. One, I agree with her, and two? I am typing this fron the bottom of a deep crevasse. Cheers...eers...ers...rs.!!

Dana said...

ASM, you are such a tease! And first thing in the morning? You had better watch out or I'm going to hold you accountable!

Moderation is boring!

Doomed, if I could just recruit the rest of the country to my side!

Lu, I like HOPE too!

- said...

I think the same way as your #7 answer.

Luv how you answered the hope you have for your son.

", for the little things for one may be the big things for another."

So true. I couldnt agree with you more on that ....

Excellent questions! Tough but good! Happy TMI ; )

Anonymous said...

I think justice is indeed a virtue...without a sense or justice, it skews morality and what is wright or wrong...

Dana said...

RLL, I actually have seen so much of that in this past year that I do know thereare people like ... well ... YOU - and so many others! It's just a matter of letting it in and knowing when to shut the others out.

Matt-Man, I think you just liked typing "crevasse" ...

I Smile, you know, bravery is such an individual thing. Shame on anyone who judges bravery on their own perceptions.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

All your answers, as always, touch me at some level. #7, of course, is the one that really made me think...I even read your response twice. No matter what, we hope our children can achieve more than we have in our lives. It is what keeps us all going.

HUGS

buffalodick said...

Well thought out answers!

As American as Apple Pie said...

I agree with you about pretty much everything here. I really wish others thought that way. Maybe the world really would be a better place.

Dana said...

Marty, but isn't justice skewed based on morality? Whose justice should we consider virtuous?

Bond, I do want more (and less of some things) for my son than I have experienced!

Buff, well ... thank you!

Ms. Inconspicuous said...

Great job on the questions, by the way.

Not exercising prudence is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater? If I didn't know any better, I'd say that you grew up around my neck of the woods. It's a very midwestern sentiment (practicality! Always, practicality!).

Jay said...

Prudence schmoodence. LOL

I have the same problem as you do on #7.

Jormengrund said...

I hear everything you say, and I have to agree with it all.

Here's the best wishes to a soulmate via internet!

Nolens Volens said...

Still think the slope is slippery at times? It's my faith in people (see my TMI answers) that keeps me "equipped" to stay on the slope better. :)

Big Kahuna said...

Dana - Great questions. I absolutely relate to and concur with your #2 and #3. I relate to #7 and encourage you to keep working on accepting love and kindness from others :-)

Kahuna

Dana said...

Apple, that golden rule is the simplest - yet most effective - way of life!

Ms. I, although I am a west coast girl, I do have some typical midwestern beliefs!

Jay, oh - be honest - you are just as prudent as I am *wink*

Dana said...

Jormengrund, and here I thought I'd never find a soulmate!

Nolens Volens, I believe your faith in people is far greater than mine *grabbing as I slide down*

Kahuna, I'm glad you enjoyed the questions. I think you likely understand my moderation answer better than most!

Vixen said...

I loved your answer about moderation too. It is definitely *not* one of my strong points.

Great questions this week! :)

Anonymous said...

I have to admit Dana, you're a smart one.

Your answers are pretty much "spot" on...

Biscuit said...

I avoided that one little point about wondering if someone is just pretending to like/love you for some ulterior motive. That one REALLY sucks.

boo said...

I knew when we wrote these that the answers would be poignant, thought provoking, and honest. Thank you!

Neil Benson said...

I've always seen patience as an important virtue. If I can practice patience than the other virtues become easier. If I can't, the other virtues seem distant.

Brian Gardes said...

Wait. There are seven virtues??? I just thought it was all sins!!