12 January 2009

Did I Miss National Delurking Week?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Or is today really National Delurking Day? I was fantasizing about reading Jay last night and he announced that today is National Delurking Day, as proclaimed by Rude Cactus (I've got to get him back on my Google Reader - the guy is brilliant). Anyway, you know me - quite the geek - I needed to do a little research to make sure I was giving proper credit for the occasion.

You know that saying, "Ignorance is bliss?" Yeah ... well ... I should have never started poking around on this one. I am far more confused now than I was before.

You see, there seem to be those who decide to have a delurking day once a month (kind of like a blog feature). I found too many bloggers to link to handfulls of bloggers who seem to run the delurking day feature on their blogs quite regularly trying to boost those comment numbers. I'm guessing there is a reason for this - maybe advertising $$? Who knows ... anyway ...

I then found this other group of blogging women consisting of Schmutzie, Sweetney and Jen and Tonic (I confess, I made only brief visits to these blogs - I've not read any of them in depth - but they do look promising and I wanted to make sure I gave out props where props were due).

Now, where was I? Oh yes! This other group of women were frustrated with the drop in comments on their blogs and decided to make some buttons and celebrate The Great Mofo Delurk. They advertised it as:

It is time that all you lurking mofos delurked, and we have given you six days to prepare yourselves (and ourselves, ahem). On October 3rd, delurk you mofos! Say hello! Share who you are! Put an end to your m*th*rf*ck*ng lurking and leave a comment!
Nothing like a gentle nudge to get your readers to comment, right?? Well, I can tell you that it worked for Schmutzie - she generated 241 comments that day! But ... they only did this one time (no repeat in 2008). I'm still leaning toward Rude Cactus as the founder ... but wait ...

A little more research finds that there is a celebrated Delurking Week - traditionally celebrated the first full week of January (meaning I missed it). It looks like this celebration may have been started by Paper Napkin in 2005. Yes, 2005!!

But ... but ... a glimpse into Rude Cactus' archives finds that he participated in that first Delurking Day in 2005 as well. So? Who gets credit? I don't know - it's Monday and all of this research made my head hurt! All I can tell you is that I like this delurking icon the best:


If you are a lurker here, please accept this invitation to expose yourself - I do it every Thursday! EDIT - Everyone is welcome to expose themselves today - even those of you who are regular flashers! Thank you Ro, for being a pain in my ass reminding me of the importance of taking care of my loyal commentors as well *wink* If y'all promise to play nice, I'll even change my comments settings to allow anyone and everyone who wants to comment the opportunity. Take a chance - say "Hello" - I promise not to bite unless you give me explicit permission to do so!

Oh, and when you are done submitting that comment, go visit Jay over at Cynical Bastard and wish him a happy blogiversary/blog birthday. He turned THREE today (doesn't he look good for his age?)!


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

51 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a lurker...I have been reading your blog for a good 8 months and you know who I am. I speak up occasionally but for the most part just try to catch up with you and Cam.

I might try this on my blog and see if the daily readers come out and speak up...Thank you for the research.

Christi aka Lollie

JW said...

I was going to comment but I'm not a lurker so I'd better not ;)

Hubman said...

I'm with Ro ;-)

Christo Gonzales said...

I am King Lurker...and I am good lurkin' too boot....oh lurky you

buffalodick said...

I occasionally check out what appears to be an interesting blog. If I have nothing to say, I don't! Seldom revisit- which is what I consider "lurking", visiting a lot and not commenting!

Real Live Lesbian said...

I used to be a lurker...

but with my big mouth, it just never lasts long! ;)

Happy late delurking day/week!

Pepper said...

Checking in...good idea with this. I may have to join you on your delurking quest.

Jeff B said...

Who me, lurk? Naaaaaa

Jay said...

I'm a lurker. Outside your window! haha

This is the first time I've ever done a Delurking Day. It didn't even occur to me to "research" it's origins. I just figured anyone named "Rude Cactus" would be pretty damn authoritative enough for me. ;-)

Jormengrund said...

I think Jay would look better without that loser Vikings helmet, but that's just my losing Colt angst coming out..

Delurking.. I don't think there's a blog that I've visited where I haven't said something..

I tend to write, and write, and write!!

katherine. said...

occasionally read without commenting...but not a lurker..

Knight said...

I've been lurking more and commenting less as of late but I never miss a post.

Jinxo56 said...

I delurked about a week ago. You have a fascinating blog and I enjoy reading it.

Just Me said...

I read all the time, but don't always comment. I will try to do better.

Happy Monday!!

Brandi said...

Where does reading via Google Reader fit in? I guess it counts as lurking, but I comment when I can!

boo said...

Who knows what evil lurks in the hears of men.... only the Shadow knows!

Nolens Volens said...

That's a very nice idea...but I suspect that some people lurk for a reason and I like being surprised by a lurker coming out of the hiding once in a while. ;)

Smyles10 said...

A self proclaimed lurker... I have a blog, but rarely write in it. I guess I just enjoy reading more than writing!

Love your blog though!

Northwest Nance said...

I'm a lurker! Think I actually posted a comment on your blog some weeks back. Yours is one of the 3 blogs I check every day even when lack of time forces me to ignore all the others on my list. Thanks for sharing all that you do.

Ms. Inconspicuous said...

Hmm... I'm only half-lurker, methinks. I do comment sometimes...

Karen said...

Delurking day is sort of anti-climatic for me because I am a regular commenter. But Thanks for the picture of Jay. That always makes me smile.

Anonymous said...

I am a lurker that has enjoyed reading your blog among others. I am like this is real life as well. I am the quiet shy guy that watches the interaction of others at the party. Most think that I am not having a good time since I am not mingling much, but I prefer to observe the chaos.

Mike

Shad said...

I just started reading a short time ago, but to avoid "lurker" status here, I'll say Hi.

Anonymous said...

I am a half lurker...on my mother's side!

LOL!

Mr Upton Ogood said...

I must be super human because I respond to "Lurk! Up in the sky!..." I also respond to de-lurk or else.

Upton, who looks good in tights, Ogood

Janelle... said...

Delurking to say hello since you demanded so nicely. :)

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I never lurk...I comment on any blog I visit..even to say, I visited

Anonymous said...

Ditto with Mike above, I lurk, observe and take it all in!
J.Lynne

Dana said...

C, you aren't a real lurker, you are just a wanna be *wink*

Ro, and you gave me reason to edit my post - thank you!

Hubman, I promise not to tell ASM that!

Dana said...

DB, *gigglesnort* (that was especially for you!)

Buff, I admit to having a few lurking blogs, but there are actually good reasons for it!

RLL, you were never a lurker here!

Dana said...

S & P, you two always throw me for a loop only because I forget the association with the blog!

Jeff, you couldn't lurk if you tried!

Jay, I knew I saw footprints in the snow outside my window!

Dana said...

Jormengrund, I think Jay looks pretty horny in that helmet!

Kat, I do that too!

Knight, time constraints always lend themselves to lurking.

Just me... said...

Congrats on winning a Golden Spork Award for "Great New Find" on Tink's blog!!
I wholeheartedly agree!!

Biscuit said...

I always have to wonder about the other 100 people that read my blog every day, but never comment. They aren't there by accident, I check the referrals. They are there, on purpose, every day, and say nothing. I'm glad they find me interesting, and so far I've resisted the urge to give them a shout out by city and ask who the hell they are!!!

Schmoop said...

Jay looks so damn horny. Cheers!!

Dana said...

Howard, although I appreciate the compliment, serial killers are fascinating too!

BBall Mom, I like comments, but I understand that sometimes there is just nothing left to say!

NY Diva, I'm guilty of Reader reading too!

Dana said...

Boo, sometimes I think it's best not to know what evil lurks ...

NV, there are some blogs that I don't comment on because of the nature of the blog and the fact that I might not want to "come out" in that manner.

Smyles, well thank you for delurking for the day!

Dana said...

NW Nance, I do believe I remember a comment from you a few weeks back! And thank you for the wonderful compliment!

Ms. I, yeah ... you don't count! You're kind of like me with your blog!

Karen, really? You comment on all of the blogs you read? I think you are an anomaly!

Dana said...

Mike, what's funny is that - in real life - I'm very much like you ... watching and enjoying the view!

Shad, Hi! Not to worry, I'm not one of those who scan the stat counter looking to "out" my readers! I'm just glad you found something you like here!

Flyinfox, and your other half is??

Dana said...

Mr, UO, oh my! I don't even have a witty response for this comment!

J..., thank you so much!

Bond, you and Karen - I think maybe you are the only two!

Dana said...

J.Lynne, I knew I could get one lurker to comment if I allowed the anon status. WooHoo!

Just me, I'm quite proud of that there spork! Tink is an amazing young lady!

Biscuit, I made the mistake of looking at the number of subscribers to my blog and was wondering what the heck they could possibly be thinking!

Dana said...

Matt-Man, Jay is my favorite horny guy!

JW said...

Always glad to be useful! ~wink~

cc said...

not only to reundelurk but i also opened my new blog today~~to go with my new age, my new name, my new state, and so on

charlene formerly of AR

now cc in motion and currently in the LA

CrystalChick said...

Stopping by from RLL's page. I have lurked before, here and other places. I wrote over there that I just might not have left a comment if I didn't have anything to contribute or knew what to say.
But a hello is certainly always nice!
Have a great day. Mary

HS said...

I do read your blog every time although, I don't comment as I'm not sure what to say most of the time. :)

Jinxo56 said...

I agree serial killers are fascinating too, but you write with more style than they do.

Brian Gardes said...

No lurking here. I always try to stop by and say hello.

But, does this mean I have to come out from the bushes outside your house?

13messages said...

I can be too quiet for my own good, but I always read your posts and enjoy your words and photos very much.

M

Anonymous said...

OK. I'm a lurker. So sue me. But, here I am now!! \

Thanks for your great blog! I'm a fan!! Really!!

Elan Morgan said...

There are a few different delurking weeks on record, and I planned on taking part in one of them this year, but I missed out. I see it's worked for you!