09 October 2009

Friday Wrap-Up


~*~*~*~*~

I think I've really hit the blogging big time now! Not only do I attract a troll or two on the blog, but the blog gossip and nastiness has carried over to Facebook! I thought about "monitoring" it - following people around to see what other nastiness they might spew - then realized just how totally creepy that process is. It made far more sense to just remove blogs from my reader and "unfriend" the Facebook offenders.

Now ... if I could just get a little hate mail I'd really know I hit the big time!

~*~

Some of you may have noticed that I turned off comments on my Sunday Secret last week. I'll likely do that every week. It seems my secrets are an invitation for some folks to lose all common sense and common courtesy. I figure if anyone feels a strong urge to comment on a secret, my email is easy enough to find.

~*~

I want to thank you all for the support on my Domestic Violence Awareness Month post on Tuesday. I know that many of you who left supportive comments still shake your head at times. Don't feel bad - I do too!

There were a couple of positive, and unexpected, side-effects of that post. First, I realized that I often do the very thing that a few of my commenters did - I read a blog daily and don't comment until I have something biting or controversial to say. That's just not the kind of person I want to be and I've taken steps to correct that.

Second, and far more important, I moved forward in my struggle with the domestic violence circle. I'm not yet where I need to be, but I can see that I stepped off that comfortable, but destructive circle just enough that the next steps might be a little easier to take. This process won't move forward quickly enough for many of you, but I can honestly say that it is moving forward.

~*~

Can someone tell me when the Nobel Peace Prize started being awarded for intentions rather than results? Seriously, the nomination came two weeks - TWO WEEKS - after Obama took office. It's not like he made " ... extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples" during his first two weeks in office.

One has to wonder what the motivation was in nominating Obama. I think it's a bit unfortunate that he was given this award so early as he will likely be far more deserving of it in the future (bet that statement caught a few of you off guard).

~*~

Plans this weekend include serving at the food bank Saturday morning, Cam's first football playoff game on Sunday and the prediction of our first hard freeze (lows in the 20's) Sunday night. Let's just hope we are lucky enough to have a winter as mild as our summer was.

Yeah ... right ...

~*~*~*~*~

25 comments:

Vixen said...

Positive side-effects are always a bonus.

I'm shaking my head at the Blog drama move to FB. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised but still.... I'm glad you took steps to just remove yourself from the drama, rather than immerse yourself further.

Have a great wkend!

Deech said...

I don't know that I would consider myself a Troll...A Lurker most definitely, but not a Troll....

....I don't know, maybe its my scars....

Karen said...

I don't know what happened with blog-drama. I wish I did know, but I guessed I missed out.

Oh, And someday I intend to cure cancer. Now that I have publicly announced my intentions, I expect my Nobel Prize in a few weeks. And when I receive the same, I will thank you. And Obama.

tjames said...

I must admit, I am one of those people who read blogs but seldom comment. {{ Sorry }}
Happy Weekend!

Me said...

I'm sorry to hear you had some trolls follow you about. I haven't run into that, and hope I don't ever. I know it must hurt.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

So, I know you unfriended me on FB because trolls followed from The Couch back to you...that is sad.

You take the time YOU need to make your life better.

Good luck to Cam and his team.

HUGS

Jay said...

The day I get any crap from anyone on Facebook is the day I delete my account. I don't like FB enough for that.

Good luck to Cam's team this weekend!

Dana said...

Vixen, the move to FB didn't completely surprise me, in fact, I actually predicted it in my response to the comment. What surprised me was the "encouragement" of the drama from a blogger who I really thought was a "friend"

Joker_SATX, mo ... no ... what I meant was that I am a lurker on a couple of blogs until I have something "biting or controversial" to say. It's one thing to be a lurker, something far uglier to be a lurker who pops in only to beat someone down a little more.

Karen, the drama was handled swiftly and efficiently ... and contained quite well. I hereby present you with the Nobel Peace Prize for good intentions!

Dana said...

tjames, it's not that, it's only commenting when having something less-than nice to say. That's what I was guilty of!

Marsha, I'm starting to like my trolls. They kind of grow on you after a while ... like barnacles!

Bond, just so you know, this was in NO WAY related to you - completely separate issue. See? You're not so special *wink*

Dana said...

Jay, this was "indirect" crap. I happen to see it when I was commenting on a "friend" update, so it wasn't like COMPLETELY terrible.

Cam's team has the ability to beat the team they are playing, but it's not going to be easy. It's a home game which should give them just a bit of an advantage.

Me said...

My comments are not intended to be critical but perhaps they come across that way. I just want you and Cam to get out of your situation and move into one where there is some peace in your life, especially now that he is a teen. You both, and espeically he, deserve it. Good luck with your changes. I know it takes time and hard work.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I don't know what happened on FB. I haven't been able to access my profile page for a week now. Grrrr. But, I am sorry you got caught up in the melee.

we're doomed said...

Good luck on stepping away from the DV circle. What many people think is easy and logical, is in fact hard, almost impossible and frought with backsliding. However, it is the path you must follow to be free and happy

The Nobel Peace Prize is a farce. I agree with you that it was a little early to award it to President Obama. I hope there will come a time when he has accomplished something great to deserve the award.

Anonymous said...

I totally with you about Obama getting the Nobel peace prize. I think it'll end up biting him in the ass.

oh well.

Sorry about all the trolls. they suck!

Dana said...

dlk24, I know you well enough to pretty accurately decipher your comments, and I didn't feel they were critical. In all fairness, I thing everyone would be thrilled if/when Cam and I get out of this situation - some just say it more eloquently than others, and some feel the need to be another bully (not you).

Evil Twin's Wife, you poor Facebook addict you!

we're doomed, I think what people don't realize is that often things get even more dangerous when you leave a situation like mine.

I hope there will come a time when Obama has accomplished something great to deserve the award too, but then what does he earn? A platinum version?

Dana said...

Ashleigh, I hope it doesn't bite him in the ass, but it does have the potential to!

snugs said...

for the record, I am not involved in the FB drama. Have a great weekend!

Ken said...

Well.....you ARE the Drama Queen.

But that's OK, most of us old timmers from YJKOBT know you well enough to know that it's your way of venting your troubles. Whatever works!

Dana said...

snugs, I second that! Snugs was NOT involved in the FB drama. Actually, the drama surprised me just a bit as it was someone I didn't expect at all. Guess they forgot I was a FB friend!

Micky-T, Ha! And imagine ... I avoided the drama surrounding this whole thing!

Schmoop said...

I dig getting trolls and haters. But that's just me. Have a loverly weekend. Cheers!!

Christo Gonzales said...

gawd if I only had a troll - or a midget - or some kind of lackadasical whatever1

rage said...

Geez, I have a lot of catching up to do.

I keep all of my various accounts separate for this exact reason. I want my blogger life separate from real life and so on and so forth.

I wouldn't put up with any crap from anyone on any of your accounts. Remember, you call the shots on your blog and you call the shots on your fb account.

xoxo

buffalodick said...

Well, I've been pretty lucky, I'm on Facebook, but don't go there much..

katherine. said...

my time has been very limited lately...so I confess to reading and not commenting.

Sorry about the drama on FB.

I hope your Cam is really enjoying playing ball...

Unknown said...

Drama on FB? I'm thinking it must be nice to not have a care in the world, and have such a perfect life that these people feel they can even CAUSE drama and try and dictate what others should or shouldn't be doing.

Fuck them I say.