30 October 2009

Friday Wrap-Up

~*~*~*~*~

I am one of those annoying Twitter folks. I'm not quite the over-tweeter that ... say ... Kimmehkins is with her 17,099 tweets (as of the writing of this post *EDIT* I do mean this as a compliment. Kimmeh has an amazing ability to tweet smiles!), but I do find it kind of a fun way to keep in touch with a core group of people.

I also follow several news feeds, some travel tweets, and a few "shopping deals" folks (I'm always looking for a bargain). Yesterday, one of the tweeple I follow posted this tweet:


Just thought it was a little funny that someone was complaining about spelling while butchering the English language. I curbed the urge to re-tweet her faux pas with a snarky comment like, "It doesn't bother me nearly as much as tweets with grammatical errors," but decided it was best to remember that I have had my share of grammatical errors and prefer they not be thrown back in my face.

... but it was funny!

~*~

Cam had a band concert last night. For those of you who don't know, my gangsta-wanna-be son plays the oboe ... and has for four years now. Yeah, it's difficult to pull of the tough guy image when you're sitting in the oboe section, but that doesn't stop him from trying.

Last year, we were treated to a concert by the entire music department - nine groups - a THREE HOUR concert. That wouldn't be a terrible thing if we were sitting in an auditorium in comfy chairs, but we were sitting on bleachers. Needless to say, parents complained. Really complained, and complained loudly.

Last night? It was just the 7th and 8th grade bands and choirs and the concert was a wonderful 60 minutes.

~*~

Can we talk about Halloween for a minute? I mentioned yesterday that I am a party-pooper - that Halloween is not my favorite holiday. Let me be clear here. My reaction to being scared borders on neurotic. I know! Y'all are surprised by that because I am so normal in the rest of my life, but it's true! I literally shut down - can't scream - can't move. A panic attack immediately follows. It's not that I don't like to be scared, it's that I have a significant and debilitating reaction to being scared.

I have a pretty good idea of where this "neurosis" came from - why I get a "play dead" kind of reaction to these situations - but it's EXTREMELY embarrassing when it happens ... which is why I avoid Halloween as much as possible.

~*~

I like it when an entrepreneur comes up with a catchy slogan or company name. This one made me want to go out and buy a dog just so I could make an appointment for a "doggie style"!



*~*~*~*~*~

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're supposed to say, at the end of the part about my over tweeting, how I offer insight and humor to your day. :P

I am a proud of overtweeter.

Deech said...

All the social networks should get a grip. No one really spells correctly anymore and the grammar is usually atrocious.

Its almost like a glorified form of text-ing.

The only thing that would have made that car decal even funnier is to have two dogs going at it instead of just the paw.

Yay Cam! I had no idea he had the musical talent!

Dana said...

Kim, HA! I actually edited my post before reading your comment. I was thinking about you in the ... well ... shower (shhhh!) and I thought, "Self? That part of your post might sound like a bad thing, but it's a WONDERFUL thing, so go fix it when you're dry" ... and I did!

You crack me up MANY times throughout the day!

Joker_SATX, ummmm ... I will NEVER let go of my desire to spell correctly and try to use proper grammar - even when texting!

Karen said...

I don't like scary part of Halloween either. But I love cutsie part. The toddlers dressed as princesses and firemen. The girl across the street who can barely contain herself because mom let her put on makeup! Heck, even the dads who drag a wagon full on beer behind them as they march the kids around the neighborhood. That is the part of Halloween that I love. And my sister and I will fight to answer the door first everytime the bell rings.

Jay said...

I'm an undertweeter. I don't tweet nearly enough lately. I need to pick up the pace. I think I only have a measly little 6,500 tweets.

Also, for some reason the spell check for Firefox doesn't work in TweetGrid on my PC. It does work in Camino on my Mac laptop though. So, if you see spelling errors (other than an attempt to keep it under 140 characters) then it was probably tweeted from the desktop PC. ;-)

Shiny Rod said...

I ocassionally run into those so called "English Majors" who think it is their place in the world to correct everything written. I look at social networks as one big bar that you don't have to leave home to talk to your friends. No driving home drunk and every body can "Relax" in their own environment and have fun chatting about whatever comes to mind. But to also have to worry that you spelled a word right or used the wrong verb tense or conjucation. Gimme a break! I get enough of that in my classes and thats where it belongs. I got chastized once on a blog site by another poster because I used the there when I should have used they're. Dana, keep writing as you please. You'll never hear a complaint out of me. I like some of the entrepreneur slogans too! One local bakery here has the slogan "Cuz our buns are hot!" Cute, ain't it? LOL

Vixen said...

.....doggie style....

*snort*

Dana said...

Karen, I like the cutesy part too and wish we'd just go back to a time when it was EXACTLY that - about the kids having fun and looking adorable.

Jay, you think you are an under-tweeter? I'm at a pitiful 3,686 tweets! Thank goodness Firefox spell check works with TwitterGadget ... although sometimes I forget to look before hitting send.

Shiny Rod, that's it! I'm sending you and Joker_SATX to the corner. I don't know what it is, but I find obviously poor grammar and spelling to be extremely annoying. Now, that being said, I don't usually point it out to folks unless I'm PMS-ing, but I won't read a blog - or follow a "twit" who consistently talks in "broken" English. I guess that makes me a Twitter snob!

Dana said...

Vixen, my reaction exactly!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

If I scared you when I said BOO in my comment yesterday, I am so very sorry...I will not do it again...

BOO

oops could not help myself - I do suck I know...

The oboe rocks...just sayin'

Jormengrund said...

Personally, I don't know if I care to really make any kind of point with spelling and grammar.

I mean, with texting and tweeting getting so out of hand, it's going to become a lost art to be able to spell and keep a cognative sentance anywhere around the public forums..

We'll see if your indignation actually changes things, or if they just stay like they are.. Not to bet against you here, because you're the blogging goddess, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's not going to change, unless it's for the worse!

Hooray for the oboe! My son tried the trumpet, then didn't like the practice time, so he switched to choir, because the ratio of boys to girls was much more to his liking.. I really need to reign in his horn-dogginess, don't I??

buffalodick said...

I spent most of high school being a jock with a brain..I was misunderstood by the jocks more than the brains- I never wondered why..

Aunt Becky said...

I refuse to whine about other people's grammar (like the person on Twitter) because it drives me BONKERS when I get the snotty comments in my comments about it.

Or the whole email I got citing all of my errors? Like, wait, how am I supposed to respond? No, seriously, how do you handle that? I wasn't offended; I'm a big girl and I know I make errors, but seriously, people, LET IT GO. I'm not a professional.

rage said...

I suppose grammatical and spelling errors can be annoying to a certain extent. If the author of a blog chooses to intentionally do that though then there's nothing one can do.

Meh.

I think it's funny that Cam is playing Oboe and is trying to be hardcore at the same time time. Perhaps he's not as hardcore as he thinks?

Volly said...

re: being scared at Halloween, have you noticed how pop culture no longer reserves horror novels, movies, TV shows, etc. for late October? It's a year 'round thing, almost like Christmas decorations that start popping up in the stores in August. Not to mention all the scary news day in and day out on your favorite networks... It just ramps up a bit at this time of year. Perhaps that's why chocolate is such a mainstay of Halloween. It has the power to soothe some of the anxiety.

Trick or treat, lights out, time for bed, and DON'T FORGET TO TURN THOSE CLOCKS BACK.

Unknown said...

I'm probably one of the very small percentage of people that has never even SEEN what tweeter looks like. I just don't need another addiction right now! LOL

I don't really care if people make spelling or grammar mistakes on blogs or in comments. I have MUCH bigger things to worry about in my life. In fact, if someone's blog is TOO perfect, I tend to not read them because they don't seem as "real". I'm sure that makes no sense, but how often do I ever make a lot of sense?