02 October 2009

Friday Wrap-Up

~*~*~*~*~

Whew! What a week! Not necessarily a bad week, but certainly one that was just a bit complicated by this nasty sinus crud Jay gave me.

I know ... I know ... none of you realized that bloggers could pass on crud through the internets, but I am convinced he sneezed while reading my blog, spewing his infectious droplets through the internets and directly onto my laptop ... ummm ... laptop COMPUTER ... get your minds out of the gutter!

Come to think of it, he might have sent me a viral tweet! I'll get back to you on that and let you know.

~*~

As is usually the case, this week was NOT the week to be sick at work. We have been working on a branch consolidation for the past six months - a reorganization of sorts where we are taking three independent branch locations and combining them into a regional entity.

I volunteered to lead the accounting portion of this project to gain some personal satisfaction. Ohhh ... who am I kidding? I did it because I thought it might earn me a big, fat raise and maybe even a promotion. Of course, midway through the consolidation my employer announced there would be no raises this year, so now it's just personal satisfaction motivating me.

So ... Monday, I barely made it through work. The non-drowsy meds and a low-grade fever were taking their toll. I knew that Wednesday was THE day - all branches had to be ready for month end by 2PM (BIG project) so that we could complete the IT portion of the consolidation - so I stayed home Tuesday in hopes that I could somehow shake the crud. It didn't work.

I had no choice but to go in on Wednesday, and then ended up putting in a 10-hour day ... without lunch ... but we hit our marks and made our deadline for the IT data migration. When I left Wednesday, I didn't expect I'd be going in on Thursday as I really wasn't any closer to kicking this crud.

Then I found Mucinex-D. I had been using the maximum strength Mucinex all week, but it wasn't doing a damned thing. Apparently I needed the "D" because within 30 minutes of taking the first dose I felt significantly better.

Today? I'm able to breathe with my mouth closed and I think I might actually be able to taste! Now, if my left ear would unplug I'd be golden!

~*~

It appears we've (accidentally) added a new family member. Tuesday night our neighbor from across the street knocked on our door at 9PM. This little guy was at her back door ... again. Her dogs were threatening to use him as a Scooby Snack and she knew we had cats, would we keep him and try to find his owners?


Husband is a HUGE softy when it come to animals. In fact, we'd have a much better marriage if I were a cat, but I digress. Yes ... we'll take him (he looks to be about 6-8 months old), try to find his owners, we won't let the him become a Scooby Snack.

I called the vet (we only have one in town) to let them know we found a stray, put up fliers at the laundromat and the local market, placed a "found" ad in the local paper, but it appears no one is looking for the little guy. He's got a 1PM vet appointment for a check-up which will likely turn into full set of shots, getting him neutered, etc. You know, a "free" pet that will likely cost us about $500.

But he is cute ...

*UPDATE* Unfortunately, when husband took the kitten to the vet, the kitten tested positive for Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV). Although there is a possibility of a false positive (cats immunized will test positive) because this was a stray we had to err on the side of caution and put him down. It's amazing just how heartbreaking it is to "lose" a kitten you've had for only 3 days.

We are now in a rush to have our other 2 cats vaccinated against FIV as there is a slim chance they could have been infected by the kitten. Should that be the case, we are in a race against time in hopes that the vaccine antibodies generate more quickly than the virus itself.


~*~

Speaking of cute ...

Yesterday was Lynn's (Real Live Lesbian) birthday. Now, I don't normally do birthday shout-outs, but Lynn is a special blogger friend who has been so kind to me in so many ways that she deserves a special spot on her special day ... or the day after her special day ...

Drop by and wish her a happy birthday if you haven't already. She is one of those bloggers who makes the blogosphere - hell, the WORLD - a much better place!



~*~*~*~*~

19 comments:

Real Live Lesbian said...

Awww...thanks! For the birthday wishes and the kind words.

You've gotta love a new pussy in the house. ;)

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Glad you are feeling better...try and get some rest this weekend...k?

Schmoop said...

That's a cute picture of RLL. And by golly that cat looks kinda like my Corky. You know what I find odd?

When the manufacturers were getting ready to put that cold remedy on the market...Couldn't they have come up with a more pleasant name than Mucinex?

Mucinex...Sounds gross. Cheers Dana!!

snugs said...

do you have to sign and give your drivers license for the mucinex D there too? I love that stuff!

Emmy said...

Glad you found some medicine to get your through. I swear illness always strikes during times you cannot take off.

Beautiful cat!

Jay said...

I'm pretty sure it's the other way around babe. You probably gave this crap to me. BTW, I'm still hacking and coughing like a two pack a day smoker. Maybe I should have given in and bought the Mucinex. ;-)

Pam said...

Thanks for the heads up on the Mucinex "D". I have tried the Mucinex before without much success.

I too am a softy for animals, especially cats! I have been adopted by a stray cat that now lives on my deck. I actually found a low cost spay/neuter clinic in my area, so to get him fixed, shots, etc was $94. Check out your local cat rescues to find out where a low cost clinic is. By the way, my stray "Fang" has 2 friends that come and have meals with him daily.

Glad you are feeling better!

~Pam

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Glad you are feeling better! That kitty is a cutie pie! :-)

Vixen said...

Medicine that works ROCKS. Mine was Dayquil mixed with Afrin.

The kitty is adorable, you are good people to take him in. And yes....we have certainly had our fair share of 'free' animals. Funny how not so free they end up being. (lol)

Have a great wkend!

Dana said...

Real Live Lesbian, you are very deserving of both!

Bond, rest? That would be between carting the kid to football and a b-day party, right??

Matt-Man, hmmmm ... I guess they could have called it snot unlocker ... or mucus expeller. Ha! Maybe Mucinex isn't such a bad name after all!

Dana said...

snugs, I sure did! You know, we're all out here just looking for a way to turn Mucinex into crack. The down side to this is that now I won't be able to buy my supply of 12-hour pseudoephed for my fall allergies because I used up my allotted mg for the Mucinex.

Emmy, I usually try to stay away from OTC and Rx meds, but I was just not even able to function with this crud.

Jay, are you saying I'm cruddy?? And viral?? I'm so hurt *sobs*

Dana said...

Pam, although I am a bit of a softy, my thought was that we'd take the kitten to the local "no kill" shelter. I was overruled on that idea. At least husband has agreed to foot the bill out of "his" money!

Evil Twin's Wife, I am thrilled to be feeling better. I don't usually get sick, and I'm not a good "sick" person because I think I should be well after 5 minutes!

Vixen, I really didn't want to see the kitten on the side of the road the next day, and the little bugger was *really* thin. I was thinking we'd be a foster home, but it looks like it's permanent placement for this one!

Me said...

I hope your viral bug passes by quickly. It seems to be going around at the moment.

we're doomed said...

Do you want to hear the story about my "free" $1,500.00 dog? The $300.00 to $800.00 animal from a reputable breeder is money well spent.

Dangerous Lilly said...

Awwwwwww poor kitteh :(

I had to take a neighborhood preggo young stray to a no-kill shelter, thankfully we have a number of them here. Momma had her babies 36 hours after I dropped her off, everybody has long since been adopted. Momma was the sweetest thing ever, if we hadn't still had our old girl at that we'd have kept her, but old girl deserved some peace and quiet in her final year.

Unknown said...

Oh, poor kitty. He was a cutie, too! I hope your cats will be fine.

Maybe that's why Mucinex never worked for me. I never tried the D type. I'll keep that in mind!

Aunt Becky said...

Man, that's one heck of a virulent cold. We've all been felled too. Damn cold.

Vixen said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the kitten. :(

buffalodick said...

Putting down an animal is very hard for me.. I've wept more over animals than people.. sad, but true.