12 October 2009

5 Words

~*~*~*~*~

I know y'all have seen it ... the 5 word meme that has gone somewhat viral recently. Although I took mega doses of vitamin C, and even tried the new Meme-eze, my immune system finally gave in and I caught the bug. True to form, it was Jay who gave it to me ... again ... but this time I think he got it from Karen!

Anyway, Jay gave me my 5 words and I am to do this stream of consciousness thingy to recuperate from the meme virus. Now, Jay couldn't give me words like butterfly and Twinkie - nope, he had to give me the hard core, H1N1 version words. *rolls eyes*

RAGE: Dylan Thomas wrote one of my favorite poems whose first verse is:
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
ENABLE: GAHHH! When I saw this word my first response was, "Great ... now Jay is calling me an enabler." Then I came to my senses and realized that Jay (and most everyone else) really doesn't think of me that much.

Then I wondered when enable became such a negative word. It used to be the used as a powerfully positive word. Enabling meant empowering. Now? It's pretty much has negative connotations. I think I'll try to focus on the positive side of enable.

ADVENTURE: It's odd really. Parts of my life are full of adventure. Take driving across country last summer with Cam, or moving from the east coast to the Midwest when Cam was 18 months old. Adventures have always been opportunities for growth for me, yet I almost have to be forced - at knife point - to take them on.

TECHNICAL: I do well with tasks that are technical - far better than I do with tasks that are relational. Technical tasks are straight forward, logical, not complicated by emotion or choice. "Things" I understand. People? Not so much. I'm thinking Data and would have made great lovers ... except Data isn't capable of love ... maybe not ...

CONFORMITY: Speaking of love, I have a love/hate relationship with conformity. I'd like to think that I am open-minded, capable of forward thinking, pushing the boundaries of conformity, yet I realize just how often I give in to societal conformity. The pull of being like others - of fitting in - is a strong one for me. I care (far too much) about what people think of me and find myself compromising my core beliefs for the comfort and peace of conformity.

Not one of my better traits.

~*~

Since there aren't many rules with this meme, I'm thinking a few of you might want to play. Feel free to scream "WORDS" in the comments and I'll email you 5 of them for you to fondle in your own post.

And no, you won't have to wait for those 5 words as long as some of you are waiting for your blogiversary gifts *grin*

~*~*~*~*~






13 comments:

Schmoop said...

Dylan Thomas, in all of his complicated, disturbing, alcoholic glory was a POET among poets. I have studied and read everything he has ever written or spoken and that poem ranks right up there with some of his best. Cheers Dana!!

Shiny Rod said...

Well done, You did a beautiful job with your word. I'm almost at a mind to do five more but I will hold off since classes are starting up for me again.

Karen said...

That poem makes me think of Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School. LOL

I am lover of Conformity. It puts us on an equal footing in many ways.

Jennybean said...

Hmmmm... maybe if you gave five words it would motivate me to post??

Jade said...

You did some lovely things with your words! I wish I had five of my own...or maybe not. This week might be a bad week for stream-of-consciousness.

Jade

Jay said...

I'm glad you went with the positive side of "enable." Most people when they hear that word go off on rants about indulgent parents and people who look the other way when it comes to friends and family's problems and what not. Good job resisting the negative!

And what I like about non-conformists is that they piss off the conformists and make them uncomfortable.

Great job with the words!

Oh and speaking of words, the WWC words are "S" and "Water." Don't ya love the way I can't seem to remember to post them on my blog? ;-)

Dana said...

Matt-Man, I admit to be a "fleeting" Dylan Thomas fan as his "complicated, disturbing, alcoholic glory" sometimes is a bit too much for me, but this poem? One of the few I've actually memorized.

Shiny Rod, I'm thinking your two technical writing classes might fill your need to write!

Karen, Ha! Rodney Dangerfield *giggle* As I said, I have a love/hate relationship with conformity, and my love of it is directly related to putting us all on equal footing.

Dana said...

Jennybean, I'll give you 5 words then! Be watching your email!!

Jade, I could always give you 5 and you could save them for next week :)

Jay, I don't know when enable took on such negative connotations ... must be those darm headshrinkers!

And I've been working on my WWC words. Fortunately I found them on Facebook *wink*

Vixen said...

I've not seen this particular meme. Interesting one!

I think there is a big difference bwtn 'enable' and 'enablER'. :)

Evil Twin's Wife said...

The only reason I give in to societal conformity is for my kids' sakes, but I love hanging out with the misfits! :-)

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Nicely done Dana....you knocked that out of the park IMHO

we're doomed said...

I hear Data was pretty hot. LOL

Unknown said...

Wow. Excellent job. There is no way on God's green earth I could even come close so I think I'll pass on this one!