23 July 2010

Friday Wrap-Up

~*~*~

The visit to Cam's new school went well. He was somewhat engaged in the conversation (think typical teen) and actually seemed to enjoy the tour. I felt much better after seeing the school, talking to the staff and watching Cam show interest as we did our walk through and met his teachers.

I did talk to the vice principal about Cam's musical interests and asked if there are any options to help keep him active with music. She is contacting some of the community bands in the area to see if there is a place for Cam. *fingers crossed*

There were some other surprises too, like learning that there is a Therapeutic Day School Sports League - flag football, basketball and volleyball are all played in the league. The school provides all lunches and school supplies, which will help out tremendously from a financial standpoint.

I am feeling hopeful, and hopeful is good ... I think!

~*~

I have to reschedule my tattoo appointment. Someone please tell me how in the hell I can schedule an appointment - 12 weeks in advance ('cause she's that busy) - then a month later find out I have a court date ON THE VERY SAME DAY.

I'm trying to convince myself this is just an odd coincidence and not some sign from the ink Gods that I should refrain from more body art.

~*~

I don't understand some people (like that's a news flash). I've got a whole post planned on this topic for next week (thanks Mike) but really? Some times I think it's much better that I NOT understand them. I'm just a wee bit afraid of what understanding them means.

~*~

Remember the Listen to the Mustn'ts post I did over at Lynn's place? If you didn't read that post, shame on you! That aside, I talked about submitting a photograph for juried review and (hopefully) public display. I heard back earlier in the week - my photo was selected for display!

I am thrilled, but now have kind of a secondary challenge - I need to print and frame the photo. Do any of you have suggestions on where to have this done ... on a budget? I've looked at a few photo printing sites and it seems I am going to have one problem - size. This is a SQUARE photo and yet it seems digital prints are in traditional photo sizes (4x6, 8x10, etc). Ideas anyone?

~*~*~

12 comments:

Schmoop said...

Yay for the school and congrats on the pic, just one thing...That Mike guy?

He's a freak, do not trust him...do not trust him at all. I bet he's wanted by many jurisdictions. Cheers Dana!!

Anonymous said...

as a former Kodak employee (NOT involved in the photographic biz) and the son-in-aw of a former Kodak photographer - you could try the old fashioned cut and paste. Print the picture on what ever stock size gets you the size photo you want, then crop the excess off on one of those big ass paper cutters. The local Wally world photo joint might let you use theirs for half a minute.

I don't know about printing their, I think they axed their contract with Kodak. Me no likey.

Jay said...

I think maybe I should be attending therapeutic day school myself. Is there an age limit?

Dana said...

Matt-Man, I've heard that "Mike guy" can be trouble, and if his blog hangouts are any indication of what kind of person he is, I better really watch out!

bikinfool, I've tried doing that online, but all of the services I tried "adjusted" my photo to fit their photo dimensions - skewing the proportions. Maybe one of those sit-down kiosks is the way to go ...

Jay, I think in Illinois you are only eligible for educational services until you are 22. Maybe you could pass for 22??

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

You are going to have to check out a Walgreens or a Costco or an Office Max where they will print the photo for you. Your Matte is what is going to have to be specially cut for a square photo...

Then you can frame it in a standard frame

Congrats by the way...most excellent

And glad things went well with Cam.

Mike said...

MM - "many jurisdictions" Not THAT many. Sheeesh.

I think Cam could wind up really liking this school and may NOT want to back to the old school. So you'll have to do a charity challenge to pay for it. Get started organizing.

Maggie said...

Bikinfool, seconded. And you'll have to go to a kiosk or you'll run into the problem you mentioned. I think Target still runs Kodak kiosks. Do copy/print shops do photos?

Oh and congrats! So proud of you!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Congrats on the photo! Let me talk to the Evil Twin (he's a graphic designer). He's used to working with odd sizes - email me when you get a chance.

Gina said...

I'm excited about Cam's school. I think this is going to be a good thing. I bet once he feels like he fits in, he'll really love it.

Vixen said...

Very encouraging to hear about Cam's new school.

What awful luck about the tat appt and the court appearance being on the same date!

Jormengrund said...

I'm sure it's already been answered, but you're going to need to go into a store and print it off there before applying it to the matte, then have the matte specially cut.

I'm actually envious of you and Cam! There are so many things I want to be able to do and experience with my kids, and right now I don't have that luxury. Enjoy those moments, and revel in the things you're able to do with him versus the items that you're not able to afford!

Real Live Lesbian said...

Congrats...and I'm not surprised! Yay for Cam, too. I hope it is the perfect fit for him!