19 July 2010

Meet Me in St. Louis


~*~*~

Ahhh ... there is nothing like a road trip! Seriously, I don't know what it is about driving, but it is one of the most relaxing things things for me (unless I'm driving in Chicago during rush hour). I'm a "Set-It-And-Forget-It" driver. Cruise control is my friend and allows me to really focus on the road and my thoughts rather than my speed. Thursday afternoon, I got in the car and headed south.

I would never choose to live in Illinois again, but I must admit it really is beautiful in its own way. Sure, there are a lot of corn and soybean fields to drive through, but they are dotted with wind farms and water towers. And where else could I get this close to Normal??



A little over 5 hours on the road and I pulled up in front of Sujomi and her Handsome Husband's home where I was greeted by their youngest Musketeer who exclaimed "I think it's HER!" I would continue to be known as "HER" for the remainder of my stay :)

In case you are wondering, Sujomi was the greatest influence in my decision to attempt a Project 365 Blog. I've been following her Project 365 Blog for quite some time. I even "stole" her posting format when I started mine (Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, right?? Right??) It was wonderful to finally have the opportunity to meet Sujomi and her family in person.

Being that she and her Handsome Husband are avid photographers, it should be no surprise that the visit was filled with photo-ops. I've included a few here and will likely be using more of them over at Dana Does Digital.

Thursday night was spent catching up and getting to know each other, but Friday morning we went here:


I had never been to the Arch, but have been fascinated with it's presence and architecture for as long as I can remember. We arrived early and purchased our tickets for the ride to the top. First stop - door #1 where we were shown a brief video on the history of the Arch.


Once the doors opened, we entered our pod - a cramped little pea-shaped orb with 5 seats - for the ride to the top.


The view from the top was truly spectacular. It was a sunny, clear day that allowed for amazing visibility. If I didn't know better, I'd say that you can actually see the curve of the earth from that vantage point ... at least it looked that way in some of my photos!

This was the view looking east ...


... and the view looking west ...


... and one looking straight down at the shadow of the arch ...


After finishing up our visit we headed across the street to St. Louis' Old Courthouse where, in 1857, the Dred Scott decision was made. Amazing building with phenomenal history.


After touring the courthouse, we were all getting a bit hungry and cranky, so we headed to the Lafayette Fire Company #1 for lunch. With happy bellies, we headed back to the homestead to meet up with Handsome Husband for round 2 of food and picture taking.

After a wonderful sushi dinner at Nobu's and frozen custard treats at Ted Drewes (a Route 66 icon) it was off for more photos! There was a stop at the Turtle Playground ...


... a drive by the world's biggest (I'm still not sure if they were pulling my leg on this one) Amoco sign ...


... and many architectural treats, including some that are now abandoned, but none-the-less interesting ...


It was a long, but exceptionally fun day with great hosts and many wonderful memories!


Thanks again Sujomi and Handsome Husband for your hospitality! And tell the Three Musketeers "HER" said "Hello!"

~*~*~

13 comments:

Schmoop said...

Glad you got out and had a good time, and I dunno if they were pulling your leg or not, but that is a big ass AMOCO sign. Cheers Dana!!

Lu' said...

Hey there Happy Birthday. I'm happy for your birthday because that means there is a YOU :) and YOU are part of my heart shine.

J said...

I love and miss my hometown so much!! Thanks for the pics. Did you go by the Fox Theatre? It is such a beautiful building. Would have made great photos. If you get the chance go back to STL with Cam and go to the city museum. It's a jungle gym on crack, industrial art that you get to climb over and through. I think Cam would love it. I have more fun there than my kids I think. Isn't Ted Drewes delicious?! So worth the wait in line. I can't wait to go back for a visit.

J said...

I love and miss my hometown so much!! Thanks for the pics. Did you go by the Fox Theatre? It is such a beautiful building. Would have made great photos. If you get the chance go back to STL with Cam and go to the city museum. It's a jungle gym on crack, industrial art that you get to climb over and through. I think Cam would love it. I have more fun there than my kids I think. Isn't Ted Drewes delicious?! So worth the wait in line. I can't wait to go back for a visit.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

That is one big a** sign indeed....Glad you had another successful visit.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

There are all kinds of blogger meet ups going on lately! Thanks for sharing your latest adventure with us!

Mike said...

The big sign used to say 'Standard'. They almost tore it down but there was a local uproar to not do that so they updated it to 'Amoco'. I hope they never change it to 'BP'.

Jay said...

St. Louis is a pretty nice town. I've been to the Arch, but didn't go up in it. We didn't have enough time. Well, we might have, but didn't realize at the time. We thought you had to go as a tour group and sit through a presentation and shit. Apparently not? I'll remember that next time.

Anyway, glad you had a great trip.

Average Chick said...

St Louis is pretty awesome with the time I've spent there. I went to the arch once but didn't go to the top. The wait was too long for us to do that and make it back for the Bud tour in time :) There also is a fantastic butterfly house on the west side. I turned into a little girl there. I'm glad you had a great time!

Jeff B said...

Looks like you had plenty of opportunities for great photos.

Always fun meeting up with blog buddies too.

Gina said...

Next time you come, I'm meeting you. I'll drive an hour to Ted Drewes....between the custard and meeting you, it'd totally be worth it!

Real Live Lesbian said...

What fabulous excursions you have! Wishing you a happy birthday (and wondering why it isn't on my calendar) and many more wonderful trips!

I'd ramble on about what an amazing photographer you are....but you don't listen. :)

Real Live Lesbian said...

What fabulous excursions you have! Wishing you a happy birthday (and wondering why it isn't on my calendar) and many more wonderful trips!

I'd ramble on about what an amazing photographer you are....but you don't listen. :)