26 July 2010

What's Your AQ?

~*~*~

Eight years ago, when Cam was first diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, and more recently, when that diagnosis was "updated" to ADHD and Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS - a 'subthreshold' condition in which some - but not all - features of autism or another Pervasive Developmental Disorder are identified) I started to wonder about my own quirky personality.

I've always known that I do things a little (lot) differently than most people, that I struggle with personal relationships and that I have heard many of the same things growing up that Cam is now hearing in his education process (if only you would apply yourself, you're a smart girl, why don't you get this, etc.), but I really never considered giving it a label.

I'm a grown-up. I support myself. I can hold down a job. Sure, I'd like to have more friends/be able to maintain friendships better, but all-in-all, life is fine. I function relatively well.

Then Mike sent me THIS LINK to an AQ (Autism-Spectrum Quotient) Test described by Wired as:

Psychologist Simon Baron-Cohen and his colleagues at Cambridge's Autism Research Centre have created the Autism-Spectrum Quotient, or AQ, as a measure of the extent of autistic traits in adults. In the first major trial using the test, the average score in the control group was 16.4. Eighty percent of those diagnosed with autism or a related disorder scored 32 or higher. The test is not a means for making a diagnosis, however, and many who score above 32 and even meet the diagnostic criteria for mild autism or Asperger's report no difficulty functioning in their everyday lives


OK ... fine ... I decide to take the silly little test expecting a score a little above the control group. I'm realistic. I figured I'd be a little off the norm.

Ummm ... no ... I am WAY off the norm. I scored 43. Forty-fucking-three!

Now, I realize that this 43 really doesn't mean a damned thing. I'm not going to give myself some AQ label and use that as an excuse for all that goes wrong in my life because that would be ... well ... pitiful (although quite convenient), but it did get me thinking ...

I'd love to learn where my readers fall on this scale *hint*hint* I could plot all of the data and even give you a statistical analysis if you'd like! Or not ... *chuckle*

~*~

*UPDATE* You knew I'd have to do this, right?? And no! It's not too late to add data. I'll update the graph again tomorrow.

I don't have access to the statistics module in Excel, so I did a scatter chart with labels. Guess what?? With the 17 who have responded so far, we have a pretty bell curve! On average, the scores ran higher than the sample group, but I attribute that to the fact that, according to this data, those with a propensity for math, physical sciences and engineering generally score higher.

MEAN: 21.88
MEDIAN: 22


~*~*~

26 comments:

DL White said...

I got 19. I guess I don't have Aspergers. I'm just an antisocial dork.

Unknown said...

I scored a 15...huh, that kinda surprised me! Guess my issues are just to vast to be catagorized at this time! lol

Anonymous said...

FWIW, I scored a 23. I HAVE been called slightly OCD by therapists in the pat so this is no surprise.

Wonder what I'd score if I took it again tomorrow?

Gina said...

Ummmm.

I scored a 4.

How do I work with my kids with Asperger's? They must think I totally don't get them. And maybe I don't.

See...I am doubting myself because of my score, too.

Dana said...

Curvy Jones, that's OK, I have a sincere appreciation for antisocial dorks!

Mandy, maybe you should have gotten my 43??

Dana said...

bikinfool, I'd say you'd definitely score OCD if you took it again tomorrow :)

Gina, a FOUR?? You social diva you!

Professor Fate said...

44 and I am the most "social" person I know, but Georgia Tech tends to drawn those who aren't "normal."

If Cam could learn to control his responses (not his feelings or the situation just his responses), I think he'd succeed in both the day school and his home school and in the wider world.

Less said...

27 here. Not sure what to make of that. I certainly don't like social settings, but do like group activities. I far prefer to work alone on some tasks, but not on others. I used to see patterns in numbers, but have lost that with age.

Less said...

Oh, yeah... I would like a statistical analysis!

Dana said...

Professor Fate, *exhales* I feel much better now that you scored higher than me! And yes, Cam and I have talked a lot about the difference between feeling and reacting - that feeling is appropriate but we need to work on his reactions to those feelings.

Less, I might graph them, but I'm afraid my sample group might make any statistical analysis quite skewed, and bad statistics are of no value to anyone! Well ... unless someone is using them for comedic value ...

Deech said...

I scored a 7. I am just curious as to what that means? If anything....

Jay said...

18 ... I just have a natural lack of social skills.

Dana said...

Joker_SATX, I did a little more research ('cause I am an information whore) and basically this test was designed to be used as a screening tool. The questions cover five different domains associated with the autism spectrum: social skills; communication skills; imagination; attention to detail; and attention switching/tolerance of change. Generally, scores of 26 or lower indicate a diagnosis of Asperger syndrome can effectively be ruled out.

Jay, but you have MAD social media skills!

Sedorah said...

Well, I took it twice (what does that say about me?) and scored a 22 & 23. I'm consistent!

Raquel's World said...

24-- I can live with that.
BTW- Thanks for your lovely response to my email.:)

Mike said...

*exhales* - twice

Just Me said...

I scored a 18. *shrug*

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

14...that makes sense

Mike said...

You forgot to mention that people with AS tend to have a higher IQ than your run of the mill NT (Neuro Typical). Not that "I" would ....... WAIT! Yes I would! What fun would it be otherwise! (This was an AS comment if I've ever seen one.)

And Professor Fate, becareful about how social you think you are. Read up on AS social problems. Take the above comment as an example.

Karen said...

I got a 9.

Dana said...

Sedorah, taking it twice makes you ... well ... I'm not sure! :)

Raquel's World, 24 is a nice, even number. I especially like it because the second digit is twice the first (don't get me started)

Mike, I figured you were feeling much better now!

Dana said...

Baseball Mom, probably where you expected to land?

Vinny "Bond" Marini, slim chance of you being diagnosed on the Autism spectrum!

Mike, I think a lot of people have a misconception that AS is all about being anti-social whereas it really has far more to do with the appropriateness of social interactions ... and the social side is really just a small part of the equation.

Dana said...

Karen, are you trying to skew my bell curve?? Fortunately, it's still fairly accurate!

Maggie said...

Damn, am I too late? I got a 35.

Average Chick said...

Set me up with a 24...pretty average I guess :)

Another Suburban Mom said...

I scored a 7, which surprised me as I really enjoy my quiet time. I am going to "borrow" this from you this week.