21 July 2010

T-Day

~*~*~

At 1:00 this afternoon, Cam and I will be meeting with the Assistant Principal at the Therapeutic Day School for a tour and intake interview ... the thought makes me want to hurl ...

Cam and I have talked quite a bit about the move and what that means for him. His biggest concerns have been confirming that he did pass the 8th grade and will be doing freshman school work and how soon he can get back to his home high school.

I've explained that he will be doing freshman level work - that somehow he managed to pass the 8th grade (and yes, I put it exactly like that, because I still can't believe they actually passed him) - but he will need to fill in some of the gaps resulting from his non-performance last year.

The "How soon can I get back to my home school" question is a little more complicated, but I've been as honest with him as I can. The school he will be attending wants a SOLID quarter of consistent performance before they'll even consider transitioning him back to high school part-time, and a SOLID quarter of consistent performance in that environment before they'll consider placing him back at his home school full-time. That means, absolutely best case scenario, it will be mid January before he can return to his home school.

He is NOT happy about that time frame, but as I told him, it means he's got to be on his game from day one - there is no room for half-stepping if what he wants is to get back to his home school as quickly as possible.

He complains that it is going to be hard ... I agree with him and let him know I'm here to support his efforts.

He insists 4 months is forever ... I remind him that 4 months is a lot less time than 4 years.

He whines that it isn't fair ... I reiterate that there are consequences for his actions, good and bad.

What I didn't tell him are the words that echo through my head ... the words his principal spoke to me at our last meeting ... the words I hope I never hear again, but fear I will ...

"We can't help Cam at this school"

~*~*~

11 comments:

Schmoop said...

I wish it was easier to explain the time frame of life to a teenager. Four months is nothing and if he just focuses on doing well it was pass like a breeze.

That's easy for a guy in his mid-forties to parlay to a chick in her mid-forties, but the concept of time in the big picture is always lost on a teenage boy.

Trust me, I know. Cheers and Good Luck Dana!!

Karen said...

I was under the assumption that the new school was permanent placement for Cam to address his needs. The way you describe it here, it seems like more of a punishment for poor performance or behavior last year.

I hope for the best for you both. I will be thinking of you this afternoon. Good luck.

Dana said...

Matt-Man, I just hope he is successful and since success is not something I've seen from him in school, I am quite anxious about the whole thing.

Karen, it's intended to be temporary - to address his unique learning style and give him the tools he needs to succeed in a regular educational environment. The goal is always to transition the student back to the "least restrictive learning environment". He might do 4 months here - he might do his freshman year here - he might finish high school here - it all depends on what skills he is able to master and apply.

And I'm sure he *does* see it as a punishment. Not the intent, but in his view the reality.

Mike said...

I was never an A or B or C student. I got A's through D's depending on how well I liked the subject. Chemistry was easy, English not so much.

Jay said...

He might see it as a punishment, but someday he will look back and see that it was actually a great opportunity. Hopefully he will. If he takes advantage of it anyway.

Lu' said...

I wish the best for you both and hope that this "transition" doesn't brand Cam when he does go back to his home school because kids can be not hust cruel but the MOST CRUEL!

we're doomed said...

Good luck to you and Cam. I hope this new school helps Cam get the education he needs and deserves.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Eventually he will see that this was a move to help his future...your response that there are consequences for his actions is perfect..so few kids hear that from their parents

Just Me said...

Guess I missed this. Sounds like the perfect answer. Yes 4 months is a long while. But when you break it down into little steps. Might make it go faster.

But hopefully he will kick ass, take it serious, and time will fly.

Aunt Becky said...

I'm late (what's new?) but MAN I hope it went well. Mili's EI is tomorrow AM and I'm pretty much shitting myself.

Saying my prayers for you and Cam. Saying them again. And again.

Gina said...

Please keep us updated. You guys deserve a break.