09 July 2010

Friday Wrap-Up

~*~*~

So ... I've been a little lackadaisical with blog posting as of late, but something tells me none of you noticed because you've been a little lackadaisical with blog reading ... not that I'm BITTER or anything ... just concerned for your well being! No! Really!! OK, maybe not ...

~*~

Cam has been home from camp for a whole week and he is now making plans to leave Saturday for another week. One of his friends' family is headed up to Michigan on Saturday and Cam was invited to tag along. The dad has OK'd the idea but we are waiting for mom to have her say.

*CONFIRMED* Cam will be heading to Michigan Saturday and will return on my birthday - I'm sure he planned that intentionally, don't you think??

Yes, today is Friday and they are leaving bright and early tomorrow morning. Nothing says procrastination quite like waiting until the last minute to confirm a week-long trip. Or is that considered spontaneity? Guess it depends on which side of the fence you are standing on.

Which blogger wants to be on my "hit list" this week? I need a road trip!

~*~

I WON!! I seldom enter contests which means I don't often win anything *d'oh* but when I can enter by default (i.e. leaving a comment on a blog I read and comment on every day anyway) I don't win either. Guess I can't say that any more! Lynn, over at Real Live Lesbian, recently went to China and ran a random number generated comment contest for a prize package of Chinese goodies. In some cosmic freak of nature, out of all of her commentors, Jay and I were the two winners.

I was all aflutter when the box arrived last Saturday. I placed it on the kitchen storage cart and ... and ... I still haven't opened it! What is wrong with me?? (Don't go there, the list is LONG). Well, I want to vlog the opening of the box and share all of it's contents with you guys, but I haven't had any peace and quiet since Cam came home a chance to do that. Besides, I'm a HUGE fan of delayed gratification. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

If you are not as good as I am with self-deprivation, you can zip over [HERE] to see what Jay got!

~*~

I kind-of-sort-of won something kind-of-sort-of related to my Project 365 blog this week too! Yesterday, I was wasting my employers time gossiping on Twitter hard at work when the following tweet popped up:


Those of you who are not science geeks and/or do not live in this area won't have a clue what Fermilab is. Even if you are a science geek, you are probably like me and still have very little idea what they actually do at Fermilab, but you might be familiar with the odd looking sculpture that welcomes their visitors. Here's the deal ... Fermilab = High-Energy Physics, the science of matter, space and time. How cool is that??

So I click on the Twitter link and read this:

Fermilab invites local photographers, both amateurs and professionals, to a 3-hour, behind-the-scenes Photowalk of the laboratory on Saturday, August 7, 2010. Photographers will be able to visit, explore and take photos of people, objects and locations in five research areas that are usually not accessible by the public. Advance registration is required.

The Fermilab Photowalk is part of the global Particle Physics Photowalk that takes place on this day at five particle physics laboratories in five countries. Participating laboratories are: CERN (Switzerland), DESY (Germany), Fermilab (USA), KEK (Japan) and TRIUMF (Canada).

I'm reading this and getting more excited than I did the last time I had sex! I *MUST* GO! Not because I think I'm all that in the photography world (contrary to popular belief, I am quite humble) but because they have the Large Hadron Collider - the most powerful particle accelerator in the world!

But only the first 50 who send an email will secure a spot? And this tweet was just retweeted by @ThinkGeek? I scurried over to the submission form and hit enter, hoping I might at least get high enough up on the waiting list that someone who was just trying to win, but didn't really want to go, would vacate their slot and I'd get a last minute call to come on out.

Then, late yesterday afternoon, I got the following email:

Dear Photographer,

Congratulations. You are among the first 50 people who signed up for the Fermilab Photowalk. Please arrive at the Fermilab site no later than 7:45 a.m. on Saturday, August 7, 2010, and tell the guard that you are participating in the Photowalk. Ask the guard for directions to Fermilab’s Wilson Hall. The registration will take place in the atrium of Wilson Hall (first floor).


I swear ... I had multiple orgasms just reading that! And yes, I *am* going to walk in with 49 other photographers who will likely be carrying HUGE photography equipment bags containing 18 different lenses. And what will I have?? My $149 Sony point-and-shoot camera in my pocket. And you know what? I'm going to take some phenomenal photos!

~*~*~

15 comments:

Raquel's World said...

Sounds like an interesting adventure. Have Fun!

Mike said...

"Congratulations."

You DOOOOOOG!!!!!!!!!!! If for some reason you are incapacitated (like getting mugged), I'll go in your place. (Matt-man can give me your address can't he?) Hey, you can recooperate in Bagwine.

And if you want to really impress the people at the big circle, take them the first million digits of pi. You can find them at http://pipieces.blogspot.com/ . If you print them out in 6 point font on both sides you can keep the sheet count under 80. (I helped somebody with pi day at their work)

Schmoop said...

Fermilab? That sounds like a disease. Have fun though. Cheers Dana!!

Dana said...

Raquel's World, I'm convinced it will be even better than a Peanut Buster Parfait!

Mike, I know where Matt-Man lives ... I was smart enough to keep *my* address secret! There will be no incapacitating muggings!

Matt-Man, kind of like Fernhoff Blackston Oakley syndrome??

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Well...Memphis is directly south of Chicago!

Congrats on your two wins...all I can say is OPEN THE DANG BOX GIRL!

have a grand weekend

Sedorah said...

Can you feel my jealously oozing from downstate? That is gonna be great!

we're doomed said...

I am so proud of you Dana.

Dana said...

Vinny "Bond" Marini, you need to move closer!

Sedorah, I can! I was just completely shocked to have gotten in the first 50 respondents.

we're doomed, proud of me?? For procrastinating in opening of my China box or for being a geek??

Maggie said...

I've read everything, just lackadaisical about commenting. But that's the usual for me.

Sounds like a fun photography opportunity!

we're doomed said...

I'm proud of the Fermilab opportunity, the multiple orgasms, the delayed gratification and your road trip. Thanks for asking. QCTM

Gina said...

I seriously cannot believe you haven't opened that box. I literally do not make it into my house before at least attempting to rip open deliveries.

Have fun at Fermilab! I love that you are going with your point and shoot!

Jeff B said...

Yep, I've been one of those slackers. Haven't had much time this week to cruise many blogs. Tis the season I suppose.

Congrats on your winning ways.

Unknown said...

Happened upon this searching for "CERN photowalk on google. I'm going to FERMILAB too!!! OMG TOTAL NERDGASMS were had when got that email. In the description it says they have an ANTIMATTER FACTORY!!

And don't worry about equipment, I've got a Sony mirrorless Digital camera with one lens. And may Bronx a medium format film camera too. That's it. Can't wait!!

See ya there!

Unknown said...

Bring not "Bronx" lol

Vixen said...

GO!!!! Go and you will love and not regret that you did! Awesome opportunity and idea. Congrats on being invited!!! :)